Paging: wolfpackdevil (RE:Miami)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 11th, 2010, 9:41 am

Waiting for our preview for the miami game... :-w :whistle:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 11th, 2010, 9:49 am

Did anyone watch the FSU-Miami game? Miami looked bad, and all of the Miami fans are now licking their chops coming into Durham because they feel they can right the ship in Wallace Wade. Cutcliffe has called Miami "the most athletic team we'll face this season", but that doesn't mean they are really good. Duke's defense is looking better, and we've proven we can run on anyone. What we haven't been able to do is hold onto the football, which is the one reason we've lost every game except for Alabama. What seemed like a nightmare stretch at the beginning of the season now looks more manageable..IF we don't turn it over. VT is not as good, and they are beatable, even in Blacksburg. BC is just a bad football team. And Miami is a team we can beat as well if we play smart. I think we just need to load up on the Stick'em and we'll be ok. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Paging: wolfpackdevil (RE:Miami)

Post by devildeac » October 11th, 2010, 10:00 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Did anyone watch the FSU-Miami game? Miami looked bad, and all of the Miami fans are now licking their chops coming into Durham because they feel they can right the ship in Wallace Wade. Cutcliffe has called Miami "the most athletic team we'll face this season", but that doesn't mean they are really good. Duke's defense is looking better, and we've proven we can run on anyone. What we haven't been able to do is hold onto the football, which is the one reason we've lost every game except for Alabama. What seemed like a nightmare stretch at the beginning of the season now looks more manageable..IF we don't turn it over. VT is not as good, and they are beatable, even in Blacksburg. BC is just a bad football team. And Miami is a team we can beat as well if we play smart. I think we just need to load up on the Stick'em and we'll be ok. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Well done, Sam. :)) =))

We're also gonna need to run for more than 40-50 yards in the game to keep their D honest.

I just hope Bobby Conrad doesn't suit up for us on Saturday. (Braves fans will know exactly who I mean. X( )
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » October 11th, 2010, 11:03 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:What we haven't been able to do is hold onto the football, which is the one reason we've lost every game except for Alabama. What seemed like a nightmare stretch at the beginning of the season now looks more manageable..IF we don't turn it over. VT is not as good, and they are beatable, even in Blacksburg. BC is just a bad football team. And Miami is a team we can beat as well if we play smart.
Our minus six (-6) turnover margin is the reason we are 1-4. Duke is every bit as talented as Maryland so why is Maryland 4-1? Because they sit atop the ACC with a plus eight (+8) turnover margin. Jacory Harris has completed less than 50% of his passes in two straight games. We can beat the 'Canes and turn this season around.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » October 11th, 2010, 11:05 pm

Sorry, pre-calculus and chemistry have got in my way of posting, :( .

I will try to post my Miami preview by Wednesday night. But I can tell you one thing, we will shock the ACC this Saturday!!! :happy-bouncyblue:
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » October 12th, 2010, 9:35 am

wolfpackdevil wrote:Sorry, pre-calculus and chemistry have got in my way of posting, :( .

I will try to post my Miami preview by Wednesday night. But I can tell you one thing, we will shock the ACC this Saturday!!! :happy-bouncyblue:
That's the sort of preview I love! I've had the same sort of feeling. :happy-bouncyblue: :-B :-? :happy-bouncyblue:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 12th, 2010, 10:03 am

"You know I've seen it go both ways, I really have. Everybody says 'Well, they're mad', well I'm mad too," Cutcliffe told Mike Maniscalco and Mark Thomas Tuesday on 620 The Buzz. "I don't know who's the maddest, we'll find out."
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/8437460/

X( :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: X( :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: X(
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 7:25 pm

~X(
:twitch:
:veryconfused:
:ymsigh:

UM-2 TO
Duke- 7 TO

That's no typo. We turned the %$#@ing ball over 7 %$#@ing times, all by the QBs except for 1 tipped ball for an INT. 3 of the TO led to miami TDs, 1 directly and 2 others within several plays quickly after we coughed the ball up.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 16th, 2010, 7:38 pm

devildeac wrote:~X(

UM-2 TO
Duke- 7 TO

That's no typo. We turned the %$#@ing ball over 7 %$#@ing times, all by the QBs except for 1 tipped ball for an INT. 3 of the TO led to miami TDs, 1 directly and 2 others within several plays quickly after we coughed the ball up.
SEVEN? :-o

Sorry I missed Brunchgate, not sorry I missed the game.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 9:00 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

UM-2 TO
Duke- 7 TO

Worse than in the Army game. Yes, 7 *&%$ing TO.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 16th, 2010, 9:04 pm

devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

UM-2 TO
Duke- 7 TO

I knew it was bad when I heard Bob Harris say just before half that we had 3 picks and some Miami guy had also recovered a fumble.

At least tell me you enjoyed Brunchgate, DD, and don't have indigestion after that.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2010, 9:13 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: SEVEN? :-o

I knew it was bad when I heard Bob Harris say just before half that we had 3 picks and some Miami guy had also recovered a fumble.

At least tell me you enjoyed Brunchgate, DD, and don't have indigestion after that.
Brunchgate was fun and I did not have any indigestion until eating 1/2 of an all-beef Costco hot dog AFTER the game. The indigestion did not last too long. The game unfortunately did. X(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 17th, 2010, 7:28 am

I'm still in shock. 7 TO.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 17th, 2010, 9:58 am

devildeac wrote:I'm still in shock. 7 TO.
Bofus. B-)
Only two tackles for loss, good protection by the 'O' line, against a pretty strong Miami defensive rush.
One step forward...two steps back????

Well shit! It's better than three steps back.
Keep hope alive.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2010, 9:52 am

Looks like Renfree is still da man for the VT game according to Cut yesterday and in the n&o this AM. I don't think I could be in another chat like the vt game a couple or 3 years ago that went something like: asack to the left, asack to the right, asack over center, punt OR asack with the keeper, asack on the option, asack with the interception.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 18th, 2010, 12:05 pm

devildeac wrote:Looks like Renfree is still da man for the VT game according to Cut yesterday and in the n&o this AM. I don't think I could be in another chat like the vt game a couple or 3 years ago that went something like: asack to the left, asack to the right, asack over center, punt OR asack with the keeper, asack on the option, asack with the interception.
DD, at what stage of grief are you over the 7 TO's on Saturday?

I had several offers of VT tix, but turned them all down. I'm washing my hair on Saturday.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2010, 2:10 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Looks like Renfree is still da man for the VT game according to Cut yesterday and in the n&o this AM. I don't think I could be in another chat like the vt game a couple or 3 years ago that went something like: asack to the left, asack to the right, asack over center, punt OR asack with the keeper, asack on the option, asack with the interception.
DD, at what stage of grief are you over the 7 TO's on Saturday?

I had several offers of VT tix, but turned them all down. I'm washing my hair on Saturday.
I'm disheartened (no pun intended, really) as I am not seeing significant progress on the offensive (pun intended) side of the ball. On one hand, I like the maturity and play of the O-line and the progress in our running game. I put both of those in the same sentence for a reason. I am disappointed in all our drops/tips and think that may be 3 issues: Renfree's psyche/confidence and mechanics and possibly receivers concentration/focus. It also coulda been far worse on Saturday as one of the miami DB or LB dropped another tipped ball around mid-field and we had 2 other fumbles. Butler had one and recovered but only 'cuz miami did not cover that punt well. Thompson wisely booted a muffed KO OOB at about the 20 that could have easily led to another miami score.

Our D forced 1 TO and recovered another major miami screw-upon the opening KO, yet we failed to put 7 on the board again with 1st and goal inside the 10. We gave up a lotta yards (~440) but only allowed 3/12 on 3rd down conversions and 0/4 on 4th down looks by the 'canes. We still had some trouble tackling and preventing a few other 25-30 yard catches, but again, much better than giving up 54, 62 or 35 points.

I'm not going to Blacksburg either but I'm on call. I'd probably go if I had the weekend off. And I, too, will be washing my hair on Saturday and Sunday 8-| . We are remotely considering traveling to Annapolis to see the Navy game, but are likely not going as our daughter will not be cheering that afternoon. We will attend the uva and BC games, giving up attending a wedding for the latter, after a rather heated discussion in the DD household. Our daughter will make the trip to GT but I will be on call that weekend, too. Mixed feelings there. Long trip for a weekend but it would be some time off. If we still had relatives in Atlanta, I think at least my wife would attend.

I can't imagine what Cut and the team are thinking now having lost 3-4 games they coulda/shoulda won. I think the Navy, uva and BC games are winnable. Heck, I think all the games are winnable for the rest of the year (except vt, realistically) but we have shot ourselves so many times that I have difficulty "counting " on another W. :ymsigh:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 18th, 2010, 2:39 pm

DD, I think you've hit the nail on the head about a lot of matters in your post. We should have several more wins. I feel like the defense is growing up fast, and I keep trying to remind myself that Renfree is young and the offense is very much a work in progress.

I did think about going to the VT game, but B is working and I would probably end up going with a VT person from the courthouse if I went, and frankly, this season has been very disheartening for me. I had a lot of hope going into the year, thinking most of the games so far (not Alabama) were games we could win, and yet here we are. A few plays, every game, from being in a bowl discussion, but EVERY GAME we have done something that has killed our chances. So I would just as soon "watch" from Section 21 this week, or mow my grass, or something, to avoid that "kicked-in-the-teeth" feeling I seem to have every Saturday, or more to the point, have to be around other people when I feel like that. I keep thinking, this week, we'll turn it around, and this week never comes. I feel like a Cubs fan.

When I was a wee tyke, my babysitter's daughter used to tell guys she didn't like that she couldn't go out with them on Saturday because she was washing her hair, hence the hair-washing excuse. I, too, wash my hair every day. Sometimes twice.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2010, 4:41 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:DD, I think you've hit the nail on the head about a lot of matters in your post. We should have several more wins. I feel like the defense is growing up fast, and I keep trying to remind myself that Renfree is young and the offense is very much a work in progress.

I did think about going to the VT game, but B is working and I would probably end up going with a VT person from the courthouse if I went, and frankly, this season has been very disheartening for me. I had a lot of hope going into the year, thinking most of the games so far (not Alabama) were games we could win, and yet here we are. A few plays, every game, from being in a bowl discussion, but EVERY GAME we have done something that has killed our chances. So I would just as soon "watch" from Section 21 this week, or mow my grass, or something, to avoid that "kicked-in-the-teeth" feeling I seem to have every Saturday, or more to the point, have to be around other people when I feel like that. I keep thinking, this week, we'll turn it around, and this week never comes. I feel like a Cubs fan.

When I was a wee tyke, my babysitter's daughter used to tell guys she didn't like that she couldn't go out with them on Saturday because she was washing her hair, hence the hair-washing excuse. I, too, wash my hair every day. Sometimes twice.
I've heard that excuse a few times in the past :( .

Now it's, nope, thought better of it. Not going there :ymblushing: .
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 18th, 2010, 9:43 pm

That sounds like a patented Houston Nutt offensive series.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein