NFL

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

NFL

Post by captmojo » September 12th, 2010, 2:40 pm

I'll start by saying just exactly how badly the new scoreboard graphics on FOX are.

Go back to how they were last year!

That little thing that's too damn small to read and blocks out a view of the field, when it could be at the top of the screen, out of the way. X(
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: NFL

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 12th, 2010, 3:34 pm

captmojo wrote:I'll start by saying just exactly how badly the new scoreboard graphics on FOX are.

Go back to how they were last year!

That little thing that's too damn small to read and blocks out a view of the field, when it could be at the top of the screen, out of the way. X(
They have their video set up for widescreen tv's only. I can barely see them on mine (since it's not widescreen), and on some of the replays, I can't see the guy they are talking about.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 12th, 2010, 3:35 pm

P.S...I've moved this to "Our House" since it's about the NFL and not Duke in general..plus it will be seen more up here.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 12th, 2010, 4:03 pm

The Panthers and Giants are involved in The Great Interception Festival of 2010. The Panthers still suck. Three INT's by the Panthers thrown in the endzone.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » September 12th, 2010, 8:57 pm

More suckitudeness.
Be sure not to miss the grand NFL ruling on the catch by Calvin Johnson of Detroit from today.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl-269035

Good God! :-o
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 12th, 2010, 9:00 pm

captmojo wrote:More suckitudeness.
Be sure not to miss the grand NFL ruling on the catch by Calvin Johnson of Detroit from today.

Now THAT sucked. Clearly a touchdown pass. The Lions should have won that game.
Iron Duke #1471997.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 13th, 2010, 8:39 am

lawgrad91 wrote:

I hate to say this. It should have been a touchdown, yes. However, BY RULE, and it's a rule that shouldn't be, that was NOT a touchdown. The refs applied the rule correctly. It was his own fault by using the ball to break his fall. He should have tucked the ball and taken the little bump. Stupid play by Johnson. These guys know the rules. These guys practice the rules. He's too good a player to do that. It's like they said in one of the early games on a roughing the passer penalty, "Yea, it was just a bump, but you can't put the ref in the position where he has to make that decision."

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2010, 9:03 am

bjornolf wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

I hate to say this. It should have been a touchdown, yes. However, BY RULE, and it's a rule that shouldn't be, that was NOT a touchdown. The refs applied the rule correctly. It was his own fault by using the ball to break his fall. He should have tucked the ball and taken the little bump. Stupid play by Johnson. These guys know the rules. These guys practice the rules. He's too good a player to do that. It's like they said in one of the early games on a roughing the passer penalty, "Yea, it was just a bump, but you can't put the ref in the position where he has to make that decision."

@};-
No, that's a TD. He has possession, his feet are down in-bounds, his butt and a knee/thigh are down and he puts the ball down on the ground. By rule also, the ground cannot cause a fumble. Bullshit call by the ref. Detroit got screwed. Again. And I have no dog in the fight.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 13th, 2010, 10:23 am

It's a stupid rule. In any other situation, all that's required is for the ball to be under control and break the plane of the goal line. Hell, the ball doesn't even have to break the plane; if a player breaks the plane of the goal line while he controls the ball, it's a touchdown, even if he's on the sideline and the ball doesn't go to the inside of the pylon. Yet, apparently Calvin Johnson needed to hang onto the the football all the way to the shower for the rule not to apply.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 13th, 2010, 1:38 pm

N.F.L. Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1: Going to the ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.
It's a new rule, and it's a dumb one.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 13th, 2010, 1:59 pm

devildeac wrote: No, that's a TD. He has possession, his feet are down in-bounds, his butt and a knee/thigh are down and he puts the ball down on the ground. By rule also, the ground cannot cause a fumble. Bullshit call by the ref. Detroit got screwed. Again. And I have no dog in the fight.
DukeUsul wrote: N.F.L. Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1: Going to the ground. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.
Thanks, DukeUsul. I was gonna search for that, but you found it for me. Stupid rule, DD, but it IS a rule, at least for last year and this year. It is NOT a TD, and is NOT a TD basically unless you fall and get back up with the ball still in control. CJ knows the rule. It's been the rule for two seasons now. He should have tucked it and hit the ground. There are two things that my coach pounded into my head:

1. NEVER try to scoop and run a fumble. Secure the ball no matter what. Of course, that might have been cause I didn't have the athleticism to do both at the same time. :D
2. NEVER use the ball as anything but something to hold onto. Treat it like gold. Don't use it as a prop, don't use it as a decoy, don't use it to cushion a fall, don't use it to fend off a tackler. Hug it to your chest like your life depends on it.

Calvin Johnson forgot rule #2 and he paid for it. He'll never forget it again, I'm sure.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 14th, 2010, 7:54 am

Yay, Ravens!
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Any more touchdowns that were not touchdowns this week?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 19th, 2010, 10:45 pm

devildeac wrote:Any more touchdowns that were not touchdowns this week?
None that have been plastered all over SportsCenter. Yet.

The Panthers suck. They really, really suck. Of course, they will probably rise, phoenix-like, from the ashes, when I see them play my Saints, but at the moment, they are bad.

The Redskins snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Brett Fav-ruh looked like an old guy. And in other news, the sun set in the west this evening.
Iron Duke #1471997.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 20th, 2010, 6:13 am

devildeac wrote:Any more touchdowns that were not touchdowns this week?
The funny thing was, they were saying on the radio the other day that this SAME thing happened several times (5+) last year, but none of them were on the last ditch effort to come back, so nobody made a big deal out of it.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DevilWearsPrada
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by DevilWearsPrada » September 20th, 2010, 1:26 pm

I watched bits and pieces of the Colts & Giants game last night. Great to see both Manning brothers in the same stadium. Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, is where the Mens Basketball Final 4 was held. Great to see the venue on TV, but looking so different than when I was there in April. Colts totally dominated the game.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 3rd, 2010, 9:54 pm

If I were Jay Cutler tonight, I'd fake an injury before I really got hurt. It is either 8 or 9 sacks so far and it's almost half time. He has no protection. the last stat I saw was that da Bears had -5 yards total offense.

I'm not sure how many times that ball has been turned over but they may also be working on a record on that stat.
Life is good!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 3rd, 2010, 9:58 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:If I were Jay Cutler tonight, I'd fake an injury before I really got hurt. It is either 8 or 9 sacks so far and it's almost half time. He has no protection. the last stat I saw was that da Bears had -5 yards total offense.

I'm not sure how many times that ball has been turned over but they may also be working on a record on that stat.
It's 9...we were pulling for 10 in section 21
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 3rd, 2010, 10:01 pm

The Rams have won 2 games in a row for the first time in two years.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo

Post by captmojo » October 3rd, 2010, 10:20 pm

The Panthers screwed up on 4th and 16 to end the game.
I know Kasey can't do what he used to do, but the odds have to be better on taking a chance for the field goal than getting 17 yards on 4th down. He(Kasey) has hit from beyond 63 before. Sure, it was pre-season and didn't count, also it was a few years ago and pre-knee injury...but DAMN, you have to give him that chance above a rookie trying to pull off a miracle. :(