Exercise!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Exercise!

Post by ArkieDukie » August 21st, 2010, 10:00 pm

I have recently started an exercise plan, with the ultimate goal of losing 30-40 lbs. More would be good, too. :-) Anyone care to join in? We can have our own CTN Diet and Exercise Club!

I'm using a Philips DirectLife activity monitor. Anyone ever heard of it? It's pretty cool - you pay $99 (iirc) and get the monitor plus 4 months in the program. After you get your monitor, you have an 8 day assessment period in which you wear the monitor in order to get a measure of your baseline activity. Based on the average from the 8 day assessment period, you get a personalized exercise plan for the number of calories you should burn. The number ramps up weekly - maybe by 10%? Your progress is measured througout the day, and you get green dots on your monitor to show how close you are to your target for the day. So far it's easy - I have exercise built into my commute to work (I walk 0.5 mile to the train station). When it cools off a bit I can walk to and/or from work across Forest Park, or I can ride my bike.

I generally have to exercise for less than an hour when I get home in order to reach my target for the day. So far that has meant spending some quality time with my Wii - I'm doing a combo of Wii sports tennis, Wii Fit Plus, Daisy Fuentes Pilates (only once - I don't like it much), EA Sports active more workouts (the step aerobics are good), and my personal fave, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout (boxing). I bought a new game today that promises to be good: Gold's Gym Dance Workout. Anyone have any other good Wii exercise games that they'd recommend?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Exercise!

Post by DukePA » August 21st, 2010, 10:18 pm

Sounds great! I like the idea of the Phillip's Monitor. Would you mind sending me some info on it?
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 21st, 2010, 10:27 pm

I'm in. Forty pounds would put me at the optimum weight for my height.

I've been going to the gym three days a week, walking two minutes and running one. I started at 30 minutes, and am up to 39. I need to do other exercises as well, besides mowing. I need to get the Gold's Gym Wii game. I like the Wii tennis a lot, as well, and the step aerobics and the ab exercises on EA Sports More Workouts.

I'm also interested in the Philips Monitor and would appreciate more info, too.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 21st, 2010, 10:45 pm

I just sent DukePA a link, but maybe I should just post it:
http://www.directlife.philips.com/?int_ ... directlife

I'm a huge fan. It really makes me think about ways that I can add exercise to my daily routine. I'm actually doing things like parking farther away when I go to the store. Added bonus: shopping counts as exercise! :)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 21st, 2010, 10:48 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I'm in. Forty pounds would put me at the optimum weight for my height.

I've been going to the gym three days a week, walking two minutes and running one. I started at 30 minutes, and am up to 39. I need to do other exercises as well, besides mowing. I need to get the Gold's Gym Wii game. I like the Wii tennis a lot, as well, and the step aerobics and the ab exercises on EA Sports More Workouts.

I'm also interested in the Philips Monitor and would appreciate more info, too.
If you like the step aerobics on EA Sports More Workouts, you'd probably like the new Dance Workout game. I'm the most un-coordinated person in the world, so it's going to take some practice. I have found that I get dots pretty quickly with the Gold's Gym Cardio Workout, but that's because I'm up to the advanced level now. It really gets your heart rate up, and it's far superior to the boxing on Wii Fit.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 21st, 2010, 11:00 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm the most un-coordinated person in the world
Wow, I thought I was!
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 21st, 2010, 11:19 pm

It's really too bad that Wii sports isn't set up to allow competition across the Internet. I bought my Wii thinking I could bowl with my niece, but no dice. I think they messed up there. Can you imagine a big CTN Wii tennis tourney or bowling match? That would be way cool!
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 21st, 2010, 11:26 pm

This all sounds like too much work... ;)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2010, 8:17 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:This all sounds like too much work... ;)
That's because you don't exercise; you play golf. ;) :D
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 22nd, 2010, 8:32 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Yes, but I walk. Each 9 is about 2 miles up and down hills. Yes, we have significant changes in elevation, even in Smithfield. It's not the same as a mountain course, but a hill is a hill!

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2010, 8:38 am

Given my recent lipid profile failure,I'll try to lose some weight as well. I'm now about 30 pounds down from the start of Madagascar, but I could stand to lose another 20-30. Will do some walking over the next few months, but may also start treadmilling things. 15 pound loss by Thanksgiving would be great.

Also, I'm beginning some dietary changes, going with low fat/low carb.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2010, 8:42 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Yes, but I walk. Each 9 is about 2 miles up and down hills. Yes, we have significant changes in elevation, even in Smithfield. It's not the same as a mountain course, but a hill is a hill!
I was joking, Ozzie. I was hoping the wink and smilie face would give that away.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 22nd, 2010, 9:06 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I was joking, Ozzie. I was hoping the wink and smilie face would give that away.
I knew you were joking, but still, I walk!

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2010, 9:10 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I knew you were joking, but still, I walk!
Do you carry your clubs too?
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 22nd, 2010, 9:12 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
No, I pull a pull cart. Carrying my bag hurts my shoulders, so I can't. And I find pulling my 2-wheel cart easier than pushing the supposedly easier 3-wheel carts.

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2010, 9:17 am

PW-ing for 15 minutes burns how many calories?

[NOTE: blatant attempt to have devildeac post in this thread.] :o)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2010, 9:18 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
No, I pull a pull cart. Carrying my bag hurts my shoulders, so I can't. And I find pulling my 2-wheel cart easier than pushing the supposedly easier 3-wheel carts.
Wonder how many calories that would burn ... :-?
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2010, 9:19 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I have recently started an exercise plan, with the ultimate goal of losing 30-40 lbs. More would be good, too. :-) Anyone care to join in? We can have our own CTN Diet and Exercise Club!

I'm using a Philips DirectLife activity monitor. Anyone ever heard of it? It's pretty cool - you pay $99 (iirc) and get the monitor plus 4 months in the program. After you get your monitor, you have an 8 day assessment period in which you wear the monitor in order to get a measure of your baseline activity. Based on the average from the 8 day assessment period, you get a personalized exercise plan for the number of calories you should burn. The number ramps up weekly - maybe by 10%? Your progress is measured througout the day, and you get green dots on your monitor to show how close you are to your target for the day. So far it's easy - I have exercise built into my commute to work (I walk 0.5 mile to the train station). When it cools off a bit I can walk to and/or from work across Forest Park, or I can ride my bike.

I generally have to exercise for less than an hour when I get home in order to reach my target for the day. So far that has meant spending some quality time with my Wii - I'm doing a combo of Wii sports tennis, Wii Fit Plus, Daisy Fuentes Pilates (only once - I don't like it much), EA Sports active more workouts (the step aerobics are good), and my personal fave, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout (boxing). I bought a new game today that promises to be good: Gold's Gym Dance Workout. Anyone have any other good Wii exercise games that they'd recommend?
I guess this puts the kibosh on the Ted Drewe's thread, right? :twitch:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2010, 9:23 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I have recently started an exercise plan, with the ultimate goal of losing 30-40 lbs. More would be good, too. :-) Anyone care to join in? We can have our own CTN Diet and Exercise Club!

I guess this puts the kibosh on the Ted Drewe's thread, right? :twitch:
Not just no, heck no! Ted Drewe's in moderation is a good thing. Noting wrong with a weekly trip to Ted Drewe's. Note to self: need to go to Ted Drewe's today... :D
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2010, 9:28 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I guess this puts the kibosh on the Ted Drewe's thread, right? :twitch:
Not just no, heck no! Ted Drewe's in moderation is a good thing. Noting wrong with a weekly trip to Ted Drewe's. Note to self: need to go to Ted Drewe's today... :D
I believe my Ted Drewe's days are gone, given my lipid tests. Doctor's doubling my daily Zocor. Frozen custard doesn't sit well with the doctor's plan. :Boo: