Summer Albums!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Summer Albums!

Post by rockymtn devil » May 15th, 2009, 11:49 am

So big time summer album releases got under way today with the release of Green Day's new offering 21st Century Breakdown (which, on first listen is good, but not as instantly catchy as American Idiot--I think 21CB will take a few listens to get into) .

What albums are people looking forward to this summer?

Wilco (the album) is the next big release on my list. After the disappointment of Sky Blue Sky, I'm hoping that the new album is a return to form. Encouragingly, I've read that the band returns to a country sound. Considering that Wilco's previous country albums (AM and Being There) are good, but not great, I'm excited to see how the more experienced band handles such a sound. I'm also looking forward to the new Grizzly Bear album, especially to see if touring with Radiohead had a significant impact on their sound. They seem to be emerging as the band My Morning Jacket once threatened to be before deciding on a different path.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Summer Albums!

Post by wilson » May 15th, 2009, 5:04 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
...Wilco (the album) is the next big release on my list. After the disappointment of Sky Blue Sky, I'm hoping that the new album is a return to form. Encouragingly, I've read that the band returns to a country sound. Considering that Wilco's previous country albums (AM and Being There) are good, but not great, I'm excited to see how the more experienced band handles such a sound...
I've made no secret of how much I love Wilco, so I too am very stoked about Wilco (the album). I did not, however, consider Sky Blue Sky a disappointment in any fashion; it's still a pretty frequent go-to for me. I also really like A.M. and Being There too, though. In fact, I love all of their albums, which each fit into pretty distinctive niches in my book. They've been streaming the new album on their website recently (might still be), and I (unsurprisingly) liked it a lot upon first listen. There are a lot of things sort of reminiscent of previous stuff, but it's kind of stylistically scattershot (though not in a bad way). I'll definitely be buying it the day it comes out.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » May 15th, 2009, 6:18 pm

wilson wrote: I've made no secret of how much I love Wilco, so I too am very stoked about Wilco (the album). I did not, however, consider Sky Blue Sky a disappointment in any fashion; it's still a pretty frequent go-to for me. I also really like A.M. and Being There too, though. In fact, I love all of their albums, which each fit into pretty distinctive niches in my book. They've been streaming the new album on their website recently (might still be), and I (unsurprisingly) liked it a lot upon first listen. There are a lot of things sort of reminiscent of previous stuff, but it's kind of stylistically scattershot (though not in a bad way). I'll definitely be buying it the day it comes out.
I love Wilco as well, so I should have qualified that my views on SBS are compared to their other work. I didn't see a lot of stylistic differences from song to song and, instead, thought it was a nice attempt at doing soft-rock Grateful Dead. Good for a listen on the porch while having a beer but after the ass-kicking Kicking Television, it was kind of a let down. AM is fun because I love The Byrds and that album is Jeff Tweedy's nod to Roger McGuinn (who, allegedly, is the inspiration for the name Wilco), but it's a poor-man's April 16-20, 1992 which was Uncle Tupelo's best work. Ditto for being there, although it's quite a bit more experimental than AM. Without having heard any of Wilco (the album) I'm jazzed at the good humor of the title and cover art. A little twang will go a long way to winning me over.

I'm waiting for a surprise Ryan Adams release. I mean, it's been seven months since his last. That's an eternity for him.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 16th, 2009, 12:17 am

I'm waiting for a new Beatles' album to come out. =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 16th, 2009, 12:36 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I'm waiting for a new Beatles' album to come out. =)) =)) =))
There is supposed to be a new George Harrison greatest hits thing out now.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 15th, 2009, 10:53 pm

New release recommendation: Rhett Miller's self-titled solo album. For those unaware, Miller is the frontman of the excellent alt-country band Old '97s (whose most famous song "Question" is not country at all). His solo stuff tends to ditch the twang and instead embrace great guitar-pop sounds. If you're an Old '97s fan, this is a must own. If you're just curious, check out "I Need to Know Where I Stand" as a sample.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 16th, 2009, 5:19 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:New release recommendation: Rhett Miller's self-titled solo album. For those unaware, Miller is the frontman of the excellent alt-country band Old '97s (whose most famous song "Question" is not country at all). His solo stuff tends to ditch the twang and instead embrace great guitar-pop sounds. If you're an Old '97s fan, this is a must own. If you're just curious, check out "I Need to Know Where I Stand" as a sample.
The Old 97s are among my favorite bands, and I've been meaning to check this one out with an eye toward possibly purchasing. I think I'll just pick it up tomorrow.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 19th, 2009, 3:10 pm

wilson wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:New release recommendation: Rhett Miller's self-titled solo album. For those unaware, Miller is the frontman of the excellent alt-country band Old '97s (whose most famous song "Question" is not country at all). His solo stuff tends to ditch the twang and instead embrace great guitar-pop sounds. If you're an Old '97s fan, this is a must own. If you're just curious, check out "I Need to Know Where I Stand" as a sample.
The Old 97s are among my favorite bands, and I've been meaning to check this one out with an eye toward possibly purchasing. I think I'll just pick it up tomorrow.
I saw Old 97s open for Ryan Adams two summers ago Red Rocks. RA was incredible, but the Old 97s gave a long, hard-rocking set that went well with my cans of Dale's Pale Ale.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 19th, 2009, 3:18 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
I saw Old 97s open for Ryan Adams two summers ago Red Rocks. RA was incredible, but the Old 97s gave a long, hard-rocking set that went well with my cans of Dale's Pale Ale.
I've seen them several times here in Atlanta, and as I said, they're among my favorite bands (especially current bands). I'm mildly baffled as to why they aren't any bigger.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 19th, 2009, 3:21 pm

The new Rhett Miller album is uploading to my iTunes as we speak. I also picked up an Emmylou Harris classic, 'Pieces of the Sky', for $8, and a 2006 album from an outfit called Golden Smog, a sort of side project that has taken and given members from bands ranging from Wilco to the Jayhawks to Soul Asylum over the past 15 years. I discovered them recently on Pandora, and am quite excited about the album. Should go well with my weeklong trip to South Dakota, which commences in the morning.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 19th, 2009, 3:29 pm

wilson wrote:The new Rhett Miller album is uploading to my iTunes as we speak. I also picked up an Emmylou Harris classic, 'Pieces of the Sky', for $8, and a 2006 album from an outfit called Golden Smog, a sort of side project that has taken and given members from bands ranging from Wilco to the Jayhawks to Soul Asylum over the past 15 years. I discovered them recently on Pandora, and am quite excited about the album. Should go well with my weeklong trip to South Dakota, which commences in the morning.
Hey Save Emmy Lou - she went to my HS and is from my neck of the woods! Good music and it might be worth, .... hmmm.... $8 bucks in a few years :D
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 19th, 2009, 4:02 pm

wilson wrote:The new Rhett Miller album is uploading to my iTunes as we speak. I also picked up an Emmylou Harris classic, 'Pieces of the Sky', for $8, and a 2006 album from an outfit called Golden Smog, a sort of side project that has taken and given members from bands ranging from Wilco to the Jayhawks to Soul Asylum over the past 15 years. I discovered them recently on Pandora, and am quite excited about the album. Should go well with my weeklong trip to South Dakota, which commences in the morning.
Golden Smog is enjoyable. I enjoy their stuff more than Loose Fur, the other Wilco side-project, which can be a little dense.

Do you have any of Emmylou Harris's stuff with Bright Eyes? It's as if Gram Parsons never died.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Do you have any of Emmylou Harris's stuff with Bright Eyes? It's as if Gram Parsons never died.
Oooh, no! Tell me more...
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 19th, 2009, 4:09 pm

She sang harmony on several songs on his "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" album (not coincidentally my favorite album of all time). She's on the songs "We Are Nowhere and it's Now", "Another Travelin' Song" and "Landlocked Blues". She's also on Ryan Adams's "Oh My Sweet Carolina" from his first solo album.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 10th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Offering a strong recommendation to the live recording of Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood,

I am,
your capt. \:D/
McGrupp
PW in training
PW in training

Post by McGrupp » July 10th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Sky Blue Sky took several listens to grow on me, but eventually it did. I haven't heard the new one yet. What do you all think?

By the way, if you like Wilco and haven't seen the documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, I highly recommend it. It's the story of the making of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot including all the tension between Jeff Tweedy and Jay Bennet as well as the record company's inexplicable rejection of the album. They released the band from their contract - essentially "gave" them the album, rather than release and promote it. It went on to become a rock classic. What a story...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 1:08 am

McGrupp wrote:Sky Blue Sky took several listens to grow on me, but eventually it did. I haven't heard the new one yet. What do you all think?

By the way, if you like Wilco and haven't seen the documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, I highly recommend it. It's the story of the making of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot including all the tension between Jeff Tweedy and Jay Bennet as well as the record company's inexplicable rejection of the album. They released the band from their contract - essentially "gave" them the album, rather than release and promote it. It went on to become a rock classic. What a story...
We addressed Wilco [the album] in the thread "Question about Wilco...", which I've BTTT'ed.
RMD (the resident Wilco-heads) like the album and are generally on the same page with our reads of it.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 1:33 am

captmojo wrote:Offering a strong recommendation to the live recording of Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood,

I am,
I hadn't heard about this...what is it?
I think Blind Faith was a brilliant band. Winwood has better pipes than Clapton ever dreamed of having. In some contexts, though, the imperfection of Clapton's voice works really well.
I love all iterations of Clapton. Derek & the Dominos are probably my favorite, though.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 12th, 2009, 1:35 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
Golden Smog is enjoyable. I enjoy their stuff more than Loose Fur, the other Wilco side-project, which can be a little dense.

So I did end up picking up a Golden Smog album, "Another Fine Day", and I kind of love it (I'm listening to it now). Wilco-meets-Jayhawks works really well for me; I love the Jayhawks too.
Still haven't gotten around to Emmylou/Bright Eyes, though. But soon.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 13th, 2009, 3:27 pm

wilson wrote:
captmojo wrote:Offering a strong recommendation to the live recording of Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood,

I am,
I hadn't heard about this...what is it?
I think Blind Faith was a brilliant band. Winwood has better pipes than Clapton ever dreamed of having. In some contexts, though, the imperfection of Clapton's voice works really well.
I love all iterations of Clapton. Derek & the Dominos are probably my favorite, though.
Sorry to be so slow to respond. Been busy.
Here it is-----http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php ... elease_l_1
Enjoy!