Think the NCAA needs a sport to foul up?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Think the NCAA needs a sport to foul up?

Post by Lavabe » August 16th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Someone here alerted me to THIS major sporting news while I was abroad:
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/gene ... id=5373639
:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

:animals-fishblue: :animals-fishgreen: :animals-fishgreen: :animals-fishblue:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Think the NCAA needs a sport to foul up?

Post by lawgrad91 » August 16th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Lavabe wrote:Someone here alerted me to THIS major sporting news while I was abroad:

This was on the day I stayed home from work with a cold, about the same time the ruling came down that cheerleading wasn't a college sport. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Collegiate bass fishing? Maybe it's a sign of the Apocalypse. :-o
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 16th, 2010, 9:49 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Someone here alerted me to THIS major sporting news while I was abroad:

This was on the day I stayed home from work with a cold, about the same time the ruling came down that cheerleading wasn't a college sport. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Collegiate bass fishing? Maybe it's a sign of the Apocalypse. :-o
Cheerleading doesn't count, but bass fishing does? :twitch:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 16th, 2010, 9:52 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Cheerleading doesn't count, but bass fishing does? :twitch:
AD, that made absolutely no sense to me either. What sort of workout program do "athletes" in the bass fishing program follow? All the fishermen I know only do 12 ounce curls.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 16th, 2010, 9:54 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
AD, that made absolutely no sense to me either. What sort of workout program do "athletes" in the bass fishing program follow? All the fishermen I know only do 12 ounce curls.
I challenge any of those guys to try keeping up with CLD, for instance. Bet they'd have a difficult time. :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 16th, 2010, 10:00 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
I challenge any of those guys to try keeping up with CLD, for instance. Bet they'd have a difficult time. :happy-cheerleaderkid:
You know it!
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 16th, 2010, 10:29 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

Cheerleading doesn't count, but bass fishing does? :twitch:
NCAA has NOT gotten their hands in on bass fishing. I just posed it as a question in the title of the thread.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2010, 11:04 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
She does have practice 3 days/week with running, stretching, tumbling and dancing for about 2 hours each session. If they competed like some of the coed squads do, that comes really close to a "sport" for me.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 17th, 2010, 7:19 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Well, as for the curls, are those the ones you may see in court after getting caught on Phillpot? They should be caught...and busted, but good.

No way on Earth that I could keep up the energy output of CLD. :ymapplause:

It does require some physical stamina to go out and do serious bass fishing. Boat launch and landing, the gear pack-up do require some knowledge and exertion. Is it a sport? I'd say, in basic terms...yeah. It was once a form of survival for a lot people, and still is for some today. Today, in a more civilized world, it probably falls a little higher than say...Poker. If you could take a measure of it's effects of stress on the human body, I'm confident that it would be elevated while leading up to it and during it. Much, much more deflated afterward.

Should Duke be in need of a coach, I'd be available. :happy-bouncyblue:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2010, 8:06 am

devildeac wrote:She does have practice 3 days/week with running, stretching, tumbling and dancing for about 2 hours each session. If they competed like some of the coed squads do, that comes really close to a "sport" for me.
Surely a sport is not solely defined by a minimal number of "exercise hours." After all, if we look at the Olympic Games, air rifle and curling are considered competitions. Then again, back at the St. Louis Olympics, TUG O' WAR was considered an important sport. And well, hey, I think about those old ABC Wide World of Sport competitions, like the world wrist-wrestling competition at Petaluma, CA.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2010, 8:12 am

captmojo wrote:Should Duke be in need of a coach, I'd be available. :happy-bouncyblue:
This should be the new number one item on the to-do list for the potential athletic administration of Ozzie. Sorry to those of you who had hoped it would be the replacement of the Wally Wade track with seats. Duke MUST get a Bassmaster team, and the Capt is the perfect choice for coach. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » August 17th, 2010, 8:15 am

Lavabe wrote:
captmojo wrote:Should Duke be in need of a coach, I'd be available. :happy-bouncyblue:
This should be the new number one item on the to-do list for the potential athletic administration of Ozzie. Sorry to those of you who had hoped it would be the replacement of the Wally Wade track with seats. Duke MUST get a Bassmaster team, and the Capt is the perfect choice for coach. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Wouldn't that fall within the purview of our AD prior to the current one? He was the boating master. :ymdevil: :(( :-B :ymapplause:
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2010, 9:22 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:She does have practice 3 days/week with running, stretching, tumbling and dancing for about 2 hours each session. If they competed like some of the coed squads do, that comes really close to a "sport" for me.
Surely a sport is not solely defined by a minimal number of "exercise hours." After all, if we look at the Olympic Games, air rifle and curling are considered competitions. Then again, back at the St. Louis Olympics, TUG O' WAR was considered an important sport. And well, hey, I think about those old ABC Wide World of Sport competitions, like the world wrist-wrestling competition at Petaluma, CA.
Where in my post do I try to define sport based on # of exercise hours? Start a new thread called "Define Sport" or "What is your definition of a sport"
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 17th, 2010, 11:55 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Where in my post do I try to define sport based on # of exercise hours? Start a new thread called "Define Sport" or "What is your definition of a sport"
According to title IX, they'll consider Cheerleading a sport "…if it meets certain criteria, namely that it has coaches, practices, competitions during a defined season, a governing organization, and competition as its primary goal…". So far we've got coaches and practices covered, but I"m not sure about a governing organization. All that's left now is competitions during a defined season.

I wonder what would happen if Division 1 schools wanted to pursue Competitive Cheerleading. Would there be two squads: 1) Competitive Cheerleading Squad, 2) Pep Squad? If so, would the creation of the competitive squad dilute the talent pool for the pep squad and vice versa? Maybe gymnastics teams could add a category for cheering where the cheering teams could receive medals for squad performance while their scores would contribute to the overall team score.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Miles wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote: Surely a sport is not solely defined by a minimal number of "exercise hours." After all, if we look at the Olympic Games, air rifle and curling are considered competitions. Then again, back at the St. Louis Olympics, TUG O' WAR was considered an important sport. And well, hey, I think about those old ABC Wide World of Sport competitions, like the world wrist-wrestling competition at Petaluma, CA.
According to title IX, they'll consider Cheerleading a sport "…if it meets certain criteria, namely that it has coaches, practices, competitions during a defined season, a governing organization, and competition as its primary goal…". So far we've got coaches and practices covered, but I"m not sure about a governing organization. All that's left now is competitions during a defined season.

I wonder what would happen if Division 1 schools wanted to pursue Competitive Cheerleading. Would there be two squads: 1) Competitive Cheerleading Squad, 2) Pep Squad? If so, would the creation of the competitive squad dilute the talent pool for the pep squad and vice versa? Maybe gymnastics teams could add a category for cheering where the cheering teams could receive medals for squad performance while their scores would contribute to the overall team score.
Some collegiate teams do compete and I'd guess they are mostly (all?) coed teams. (CLD was on an all female competitive squad for 6 years while in MS and HS.) Doubt that will ever happen again at Duke due to a severe injury during "stunting" a few decades ago. I would certainly agree with the competitions part of the ruling but kinda find the "governing organization" to be BS. I'd suspect you'd have 2 squads, a "varsity" squad for competing and a "JV" squad for pep purposes. The talent pool would be diluted for certain. I have eyewitness/personal testimony for that observation. You might have to add the "dance team" scores in, too, as the cheer squads have some elements/participants of that in addition to the gymnastics and tumbling skills.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2010, 1:37 pm

devildeac wrote:Some collegiate teams do compete and I'd guess they are mostly (all?) coed teams. (CLD was on an all female competitive squad for 6 years while in MS and HS.) Doubt that will ever happen again at Duke due to a severe injury during "stunting" a few decades ago. I would certainly agree with the competitions part of the ruling but kinda find the "governing organization" to be BS. I'd suspect you'd have 2 squads, a "varsity" squad for competing and a "JV" squad for pep purposes. The talent pool would be diluted for certain. I have eyewitness/personal testimony for that observation. You might have to add the "dance team" scores in, too, as the cheer squads have some elements/participants of that in addition to the gymnastics and tumbling skills.
Who's worse: the governing organization or the NCAA? :-o :twitch:

Back to fishing:
Given that UGA came in second, and LSU had a strong showing, how soon before the SEC becomes the dominant force in collegiate fishing? Perhaps the WAC would lead in fly-fishing?

CaptMojo? Any thoughts?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2010, 2:10 pm

ACC should be able to have a competitive fleet with all the shoreline we have from Bah-ston to darn near Key West and then some of the Gulf, too.
Miles

Post by Miles » August 17th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:Some collegiate teams do compete and I'd guess they are mostly (all?) coed teams. (CLD was on an all female competitive squad for 6 years while in MS and HS.) Doubt that will ever happen again at Duke due to a severe injury during "stunting" a few decades ago. I would certainly agree with the competitions part of the ruling but kinda find the "governing organization" to be BS. I'd suspect you'd have 2 squads, a "varsity" squad for competing and a "JV" squad for pep purposes. The talent pool would be diluted for certain. I have eyewitness/personal testimony for that observation. You might have to add the "dance team" scores in, too, as the cheer squads have some elements/participants of that in addition to the gymnastics and tumbling skills.
Who's worse: the governing organization or the NCAA? :-o :twitch:

Back to fishing:
Given that UGA came in second, and LSU had a strong showing, how soon before the SEC becomes the dominant force in collegiate fishing? Perhaps the WAC would lead in fly-fishing?

CaptMojo? Any thoughts?
I assumed the NCAA would be the governing organization.
sMiles
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 17th, 2010, 8:54 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Back to fishing:

CaptMojo? Any thoughts?
NC State has a win under their ample belts. They had a decent run this year too.
Fly fishing is everywhere, in all applications for every species.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"