Vibes for College Apps!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Vibes for College Apps!

Post by Native » August 16th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Started them today. I'm already nervous. Ugh.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Vibes for College Apps!

Post by Lavabe » August 16th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Where are you applying? :-\ :-\
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Native

Post by Native » August 16th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:Where are you applying? :-\ :-\
Duke's probably my #1, obviously. :9f:

I'm also looking at Stanford, Northwestern, Southern California, State, and maybe one or two other safeties.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 16th, 2010, 8:56 pm

lots of vibes for your first choice! :duke:
(and anywhere else that will make you happy, of course)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 16th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Native, big-time vibes for you! We all want you to go where you'd be happy, but like you, we want your choice number 1. :wizard: :wizard: :duke: :duke: :wizard: :wizard: :duke: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 16th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Native wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Where are you applying? :-\ :-\
Duke's probably my #1, obviously. :9f:

I'm also looking at Stanford, Northwestern, Southern California, State, and maybe one or two other safeties.
Excellent choices! Of course, I'm keeping my eyes, fingers, arms, legs and toes crossed that you get your #1 choice. :duke:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 16th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Good luck!!!

Some of us here have done/still do interviews for the admissions office. Ask questions!

:duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke:
-- DukeUsul
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 16th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Best wishes for you in this process. You are well qualified.... I foresee great results coming your way. And now a bouncing sapphire or two or three for good luck :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 16th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 16th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Best of luck to you, native! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Native

Post by Native » August 16th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Thanks, guys!

DukeUsul, I'm not too familiar with the interview process. How exactly does it work, and will it positively affect my application? I'm aware that your supplement has to be turned in earlier than the January deadline for RD if you want an interview, but what else do I need to know?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 16th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Native wrote:Thanks, guys!

DukeUsul, I'm not too familiar with the interview process. How exactly does it work, and will it positively affect my application? I'm aware that your supplement has to be turned in earlier than the January deadline for RD if you want an interview, but what else do I need to know?
If you're serious about Duke, apply early decision.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Native

Post by Native » August 16th, 2010, 10:53 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:If you're serious about Duke, apply early decision.
See, this is the problem. My SAT score is not quite up to scratch to get into Duke (it's a 1990). However, I took that SAT cold, without taking a prep class, and I also had some personal stuff going on around that time. I'm retaking it in October and November and am taking a prep class in September. I'm shooting for at least a 2200 and am confident I'll get it. My worry is that if I don't get the score I need in October, I won't be able to apply early decision without my scores from November. I looked on the admissions website for Duke and it says:
We strongly recommend that Early Decision candidates take either of these sets of standardized tests no later than October of their senior year. We cannot guarantee receipt of November testing for Early Decision candidates, although past experience suggests that November scores typically arrive in time. You do not need to rush-report your scores to us.
So basically, if I apply ED, I'm taking a huge gamble when it comes to my SAT scores. If I had the security buffer of that November test date guaranteed, my RD application would likely be much stronger.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 16th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Vibes for a successful application process. May you end up in the perfect place. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :duke: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :9f: :9f: :9f: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Life is good!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 16th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Good luck Native! If you have any questions just shoot me a PM bud! Life is getting kind of busy now (I move in to Wilson in exactly one week) so I might miss a post, but I'll definitely reply if you PM me.

As for the SAT score, my SAT was only a 2040. The thing that did it for me was my ACT score - I would suggest taking that as well if you have the time. I got a 33 out of 36 on that test, which is equivalent to around a 2200 SAT. I don't know what it was, I just found it much easier than the SAT.

Just remember that the essay is probably the most important part of the application. It's the best way for the admissions staff to really "get to know you."

It's good that you're getting an early start because applications can be incredibly stressful. I'm sure you'll handle them great and end up where you need to be!

And... ED is an extremely good idea if you know that you would pick Duke over any other school if you got in. It increases your chances a lot, you just have to be completely sure about it because ED is a pretty large commitment.
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 16th, 2010, 11:47 pm

And some numbers for ED vs. RD:

This past year 14.8% of all applicants were accepted to Duke. That's something like 4,000 out of around 27,000 applications.

Out of those applications, only 11% of the RD applications were accepted.

A little over 30% of the ED applications were accepted (and it's rumored that ED legacy applicants get an extra boost over RD legacy).

So, in order to maximize your chance of getting in Duke I would definitely advise doing ED if you are sure about the college you want to attend. Even if your test scores come in a little later than the application due date I'm pretty sure you can still send them in and the admissions committee will take them into account.

RD
http://dukechronicle.com/article/duke-i ... class-2014

ED
http://news.duke.edu/2009/12/early_decision.html
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 16th, 2010, 11:49 pm

And this interview with the dean of admissions (Christoph Guttentag - an awesome guy) helped me out a TON last year:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2579871
Class of 2014
Native

Post by Native » August 17th, 2010, 7:21 am

Also, I had a question about recommendations. Duke looks for students who have made an impact, and I've taken numerous leadership roles throughout my high school -- Student Government president, Peer Mentor Club President, Varsity Club President, Varsity Lacrosse Captain, etc. -- because it's a new, already overcrowded school in the heart of Wake County.

I could definitely get the principal of my school to write a recommendation for me; however, my grandfather teaches at Duke and I'd also like for him to write a Personal Recommendation. However, the Admissions website states that I can have four recommendations: two from teachers, one from my guidance counselor, and one of my choosing. Anyone have a way to arrange this so I can have my principal and my grandfather writing me recommendations?
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 17th, 2010, 7:36 am

The very best of luck to you.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 17th, 2010, 7:36 am

The very best of luck to you.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"