Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Memphis to the Big East?

Post by Jesus_hurley » August 2nd, 2010, 4:52 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/8/1/160041 ... dio-sports

http://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/20104201301
Put this in the "rumor to file away in case it happens category." Usually reliable source tells me Memphis will join the Big East on Tuesday

No interwebz source sounds real firm on this, but the rumor is out there. If true, I wonder if this means a BE team is planning on leaving for another conference or if they are planning on giving someone else the boot.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Memphis to the Big East?

Post by ArkieDukie » August 3rd, 2010, 8:57 am

That will, indeed, be interesting if it happens. Memphis has an okay football program. We all know about their basketball program. Maybe the Big East just wants to expand more? Maybe a Big East team is leaving to go to the Big 12 (which now has 10 teams)?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » August 4th, 2010, 12:29 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:That will, indeed, be interesting if it happens. Memphis has an okay football program. We all know about their basketball program. Maybe the Big East just wants to expand more? Maybe a Big East team is leaving to go to the Big 12 (which now has 10 teams)?
I think the Big East just wanted to get bigger. See: http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd= ... =2&vkey=21
The Big East explored the possibility of adding four Big 12 teams had the Big 12 disbanded in June, a Big East source told SNY.tv.

The Big East would have targeted Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Missouri, swelling its ranks to 12 football teams and 20 basketball programs, the source said.
indoor66
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by indoor66 » August 4th, 2010, 2:08 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:That will, indeed, be interesting if it happens. Memphis has an okay football program. We all know about their basketball program. Maybe the Big East just wants to expand more? Maybe a Big East team is leaving to go to the Big 12 (which now has 10 teams)?
I think the Big East just wanted to get bigger. See: http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd= ... =2&vkey=21
The Big East explored the possibility of adding four Big 12 teams had the Big 12 disbanded in June, a Big East source told SNY.tv.

The Big East would have targeted Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Missouri, swelling its ranks to 12 football teams and 20 basketball programs, the source said.
If they keep growing they don't have to worry about being the best conference, they will be the only conference. 8-X :joking: :Clap: :twocents:
If you give up your dream, YOU DIE.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 4th, 2010, 2:18 pm

I don't get the aching conferences have for expansion. Bigger doesn't mean better, to me it seems the game experience would be watered down. 20 basketball teams? That's fugging stupid, it rules out the chance of any home and homes within even your conference...it's bad enough when you can only play a few teams twice. They would have to choose only one or two that they could do that with..the rest would be just a bunch of one timers. Want to know how to discourage development of great rivalries? Discourage teams from playing each other.
What a bunch of morons.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 4th, 2010, 2:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I don't get the aching conferences have for expansion. Bigger doesn't mean better, to me it seems the game experience would be watered down. 20 basketball teams? That's fugging stupid, it rules out the chance of any home and homes within even your conference...it's bad enough when you can only play a few teams twice. They would have to choose only one or two that they could do that with..the rest would be just a bunch of one timers. Want to know how to discourage development of great rivalries? Discourage teams from playing each other.
What a bunch of morons.
Yea, but then it gives a chance for bottom-dwellers like uva to play an unbalanced schedule and be co-champs while they beat up on all the remaining cellar residents like they did a few years back. Sheesh. Plus, the money's pretty good these days with some of the contracts that have been signed for TV rights.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 7th, 2010, 8:45 am

devildeac wrote: Plus, the money's pretty good these days with some of the contracts that have been signed for TV rights.
Ultimately this is what it all comes down to. Conferences don't care about their colleges or their fans, they care about their bottom line.
sMiles