Help With Word 2007?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Help With Word 2007?

Post by colchar » July 21st, 2010, 4:49 pm

Alright, I am getting to the point where I am going to go completely postal so I thought I'd ask for help here.

As you all know Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided to make Word 2007 with a default setting that double-spaces lines and ads extra space after paragraphs. Since that is a completely idiotic idea, I want to turn that feature off but, for some reason, I cannot. I can turn it off in a document I am working on (sometimes I have to to it several times in the same document) but, even when I do change it in a document and try to make it the default setting for all future documents, the fix never works on future documents. I did manage to do this on my desktop but on my laptop I simply cannot get it to work. The problem is, I cannot remember exactly which method I used on my desktop.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to turn of this feature? I know there used to be a download that fixed it (I might have used that on my desktop) but I cannot find it right now.

As usual, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Help With Word 2007?

Post by DukeUsul » July 21st, 2010, 6:10 pm

You have to edit the normal.dot template file that is the default for new word docs. I don't have time to research it now, but look for that file. Maybe Google how to edit it.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.
-- DukeUsul
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 21st, 2010, 8:20 pm

colchar wrote:Alright, I am getting to the point where I am going to go completely postal so I thought I'd ask for help here.

As you all know Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided to make Word 2007 with a default setting that double-spaces lines and ads extra space after paragraphs. Since that is a completely idiotic idea, I want to turn that feature off but, for some reason, I cannot. I can turn it off in a document I am working on (sometimes I have to to it several times in the same document) but, even when I do change it in a document and try to make it the default setting for all future documents, the fix never works on future documents. I did manage to do this on my desktop but on my laptop I simply cannot get it to work. The problem is, I cannot remember exactly which method I used on my desktop.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to turn of this feature? I know there used to be a download that fixed it (I might have used that on my desktop) but I cannot find it right now.

As usual, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
On the basic "home" tool bar at the top, there are several different format choice that are in square boxes on the right hand part of the tool bar. On mine, the "normal" one that is left most double spaces. The next one to the right says "no spacing" and I click on that when I start a new document and everything is single spaced. I much prefer this and don't know if you can make that your default or not.

Hope this solves your problem.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » July 22nd, 2010, 5:56 am

Here's a link to an interactive guide for finding the commands you knew in Word 2003

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/ ... 21033.aspx

If you knew how to fix it in 2003, this will help you find where they moved it to in 2007.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 22nd, 2010, 11:30 am

shereec wrote:Here's a link to an interactive guide for finding the commands you knew in Word 2003

If you knew how to fix it in 2003, this will help you find where they moved it to in 2007.

Thanks, but there was no need to fix it in 2003 as it wasn't the default setting then. It is the default is 2007 (I'd love to know who the genius was who made that decision!) and now has to be changed. I'll try the other suggestions given here when I get my hands on my laptop later this afternoon.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » July 22nd, 2010, 1:03 pm

-- DukeUsul
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » July 22nd, 2010, 5:43 pm

colchar wrote:
shereec wrote:Here's a link to an interactive guide for finding the commands you knew in Word 2003

Thanks, but there was no need to fix it in 2003 as it wasn't the default setting then. It is the default is 2007 (I'd love to know who the genius was who made that decision!) and now has to be changed. I'll try the other suggestions given here when I get my hands on my laptop later this afternoon.
right - I was just thinking if you knew how to make the change in 2003, this might help you find how to make the change in 2007. They do love to tinker with stuff that doesn't need to be tinkered with, don't they?
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 23rd, 2010, 11:37 pm

Hey Colchar,

Can you see this doc? https://cid-9735ed856a9fa0af.office-df. ... ormal.docx

(You may have to have a LiveID to get to it.)

I've put in a couple screenshots that should help out.

Cheers,
--DA

(Or can I attach a .doc file here?)