Art Agent

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Art Agent

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 11th, 2009, 5:22 pm

I was contacted through my website by an art agent today, which is sort of exciting. My first assumption was it is going to be a scam, but I checked out her website and it seems legit. The second thing I checked was her services. If an agent says pay me some $ and I'll do so-and-so for you, that's a sign to turn and walk away. I shouldn't have to pay anything up front, and this agent only charges a percentage of sold works, which means for them to make any money, I have to sell something. That's the really cool part. They aren't going to waste their time getting involved with me unless they think I have something that will sell. The sucky part is that they will get a piece of the action, and so will the gallery, and I get squat (Galleries typically take 40-60%, I don't know agent rates). BUT I will be getting exposure to galleries that I have no other resources to get into. I've asked the agent to provide me some more details so I can really study what they are about, but so far what I've researched they seem to be well founded. Anyways, it was cool enough to share.
One day I'll get to quit my day job and let sweetie pie handle my books, but not yet. Got lots more painting to do first. :)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Art Agent

Post by cl15876 » May 11th, 2009, 5:46 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was contacted through my website by an art agent today, which is sort of exciting. My first assumption was it is going to be a scam, but I checked out her website and it seems legit. The second thing I checked was her services. If an agent says pay me some $ and I'll do so-and-so for you, that's a sign to turn and walk away. I shouldn't have to pay anything up front, and this agent only charges a percentage of sold works, which means for them to make any money, I have to sell something. That's the really cool part. They aren't going to waste their time getting involved with me unless they think I have something that will sell. The sucky part is that they will get a piece of the action, and so will the gallery, and I get squat (Galleries typically take 40-60%, I don't know agent rates). BUT I will be getting exposure to galleries that I have no other resources to get into. I've asked the agent to provide me some more details so I can really study what they are about, but so far what I've researched they seem to be well founded. Anyways, it was cool enough to share.
One day I'll get to quit my day job and let sweetie pie handle my books, but not yet. Got lots more painting to do first. :)
Congratulations Chris! Thanks for sharing this great news! Your paintings are awesome and obviously this young lady thinks so also! Having someone else market your wares for a little bit of the action, if reasonable, is more action than if you were not doing any selling at all! I'm not sure what all the legalities are associated with restrictions on your ability to be non-exclusive with more than one gallery, if things get to that point, in addition to your ability to exhibit yourself also and preventing the gallery from coming back to you for a hand out for the same painting they might be displaying that you sold on your own! Hey, we know an excellent attorney!!!! ;)
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 11th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Have you tried e-bay?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 11th, 2009, 6:28 pm

captmojo wrote:Have you tried e-bay?
Thought about it, but the idea of seeing my paintings being bid on, and then being sold for a buck is too scary..LOL. I might try it once just to see what happens. I guess I could put a reserve on it.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 11th, 2009, 6:33 pm

cl15876 wrote:I'm not sure what all the legalities are associated with restrictions on your ability to be non-exclusive with more than one gallery, if things get to that point, in addition to your ability to exhibit yourself also and preventing the gallery from coming back to you for a hand out for the same painting they might be displaying that you sold on your own! Hey, we know an excellent attorney!!!! ;)
She emailed me back with some answers, and I'm still waiting on some more. Galleries are territorial, but only to an extent. The gallery here in Morehead wouldn't want me selling across the street, but if I showed in New Bern or further, they couldn't say much. In fact, showing in more places is beneficial to everyone, because the work is more widely recognized.
cl15876 wrote:"Having someone else market your wares for a little bit of the action, if reasonable, is more action than if you were not doing any selling at all! "
Exactly.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 11th, 2009, 6:49 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
captmojo wrote:Have you tried e-bay?
Thought about it, but the idea of seeing my paintings being bid on, and then being sold for a buck is too scary..LOL. I might try it once just to see what happens. I guess I could put a reserve on it.
I think you can put a threshold on it so if you don't get your asking price then the product can be put up for re-auction! :-bd
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 11th, 2009, 7:05 pm

I have a friend who sold art on e-bay. Did quite well. One thing for sure, it was sold. He prefers shows because he likes to talk to the people.

He's the one that had by-pass surgery this morning. He doing well, breathing on his own.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 11th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Congrats indeed, CB&B. I don't know squat about any of this (yet...someday, when I become a rockstar historian, I'll have a book agent...), so I'll just content myself with listening and rooting you on from over here. :ymapplause:
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 11th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Congrats! I've been loving the Duke football series.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » May 12th, 2009, 11:31 am

Congrats CBAB. Have you ever seen Art-o-mat? I like these, they're cool.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 12th, 2009, 11:34 am

Miles wrote:Congrats CBAB. Have you ever seen Art-o-mat? I like these, they're cool.
Ha! I'll have to look more at those when I have time. Better use of a cigarette machine for sure.
Miles

Post by Miles » May 12th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Miles wrote:Congrats CBAB. Have you ever seen Art-o-mat? I like these, they're cool.
Ha! I'll have to look more at those when I have time. Better use of a cigarette machine for sure.
They are very cool indeed. I think there's one in Winston Salem. I've picked up a few pieces, both collages. I'm not sure if they have any restrictions but a cool little sticker on the back of your piece with a website address might be a cool way to get your name out there. And it definitely needs to be out there!
sMiles
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 12th, 2009, 2:04 pm

WOW CB&B! Exposure is everything and the more you can get somebody else to work that end, the more you can stay in your studio and crank 'em out!!! The agent would probably be helpful in helping you figure out which subject matter sells best out there, too. Although you probably have a handle on that already.

This is great. Keep us posted.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 27th, 2009, 2:59 pm

She has gotten my promotions in the works. After some more researching, I learned that she does have an upfront cost request of $500, which I was not thrilled about, but after talking to her some it makes a bit more sense from an investment point of view. The cost goes into sharing some of the initial burden for mass mailings, graphics development, web costs and promotional materials. I've signed off on a letter agreement that states the following.
Chris Wagner is an artist who desires to increase his art sales and gain exposure in the United States by being represented by *****.

***** is a sales, marketing, and e-commerce company that represent artists who want to grow their businesses. ***** helps gain, for the artist, greater exposure by helping place the artist in different Art Galleries throughout the United States. In addition, ***** offers other services for a fee and/or a commission.

Specifically, it shall be *****’s goal to place Artist in a minimum of five Art Galleries that are acceptable to the Artist. .

For its services, ***** will be compensated by receiving twenty (20) percent of the net selling price that the artist receives based on the selling efforts of *****. ***** only expects to be compensated on sales generated by *****’s efforts. In addition, Artist will pay ***** a one time fee of $500 to cover the initial costs of marketing materials, graphic design work, postage, printing and other sundry costs.
When I expressed my concerns about the one time fee, she agreed to allow me to make payments on it. I feel much better about that arrangement since she is committing herself to my promotion without having all of my cash up front.

Anyways, she has started doing what she said she would, so hopefully it turns out pretty well. Here are my pages that they have created.
http://artisan-direct.org/artists/wagne ... promo.html
http://artisan-direct.org/artists/wagner_chris
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 27th, 2009, 3:05 pm

That's so awesome, dude. Congrats! ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 27th, 2009, 3:12 pm

This may be a little late, did you as her for references?
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 27th, 2009, 3:24 pm

CB&B, when you get a chance, ask her to correct this sentence on her webpage:

"Currently he lives with his wife and step-children in eastern North Carolina where he enjoys coastal living with his wife and two stepsons."

It's a bit redundant. B-)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 27th, 2009, 3:26 pm

CathyCA wrote:CB&B, when you get a chance, ask her to correct this sentence on her webpage:

"Currently he lives with his wife and step-children in eastern North Carolina where he enjoys coastal living with his wife and two stepsons."

It's a bit redundant. B-)
Hehe, that was my first email back to her. She has passed it on to the web designer.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 27th, 2009, 3:26 pm

TillyGalore wrote:This may be a little late, did you as her for references?
I emailed some of the other artists on the site.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 27th, 2009, 3:28 pm

TillyGalore wrote:This may be a little late, did you as her for references?
I emailed some of the other artists on the site.
Fabulous! When you become rich and famous, I hope you will still remember me. ;;)
I worship the Blue Devil!