What's your favorite board game?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

What's your favorite board game?

Post by wilson » May 8th, 2009, 10:25 pm

I can't pick just one. Mine would be Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly, and Risk. Pretty mainstream, but undeniably classic choices, I think.

I didn't do a poll because I know lots of people are into all kinds of obscure games, and I'd like to hear about them.
Shammrog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: What's your favorite board game?

Post by Shammrog » May 8th, 2009, 10:35 pm

Oh, without doubt, Scrabble... :x
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 8th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Shammrog wrote:Oh, without doubt, Scrabble... :x
:ymdevil:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Darts.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 8th, 2009, 11:43 pm

devildeac wrote:Darts.
Definitely not within the category I originally had in mind, but unassailable in its logic. Well played.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2009, 11:49 pm

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:Darts.
Definitely not within the category I originally had in mind, but unassailable in its logic. Well played.
Thanks. Every once in a Blue Moon (or any Belgian brew :oops: ), I come up with a clever answer. That looks like about 1 every 300 posts or so... :oops: :roll: ;) Perhaps even less overall...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 9th, 2009, 12:26 am

Monopoly. It sucks, because I'm the only one in my house who likes it. You used to be able to play it online, probably still can. Anyways, I'm the Iron, so hands off.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 9th, 2009, 12:36 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Monopoly. It sucks, because I'm the only one in my house who likes it. You used to be able to play it online, probably still can. Anyways, I'm the Iron, so hands off.
I got it on Wii a few months back. Found a pretty good deal on it and traded in some old stuff that I never played anyway. My brother actually rather likes it too, but we're just more inclined to play on his giant, beautiful television. You can also play against the computer, of course.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » May 9th, 2009, 1:03 am

Stock Market, had it as a kid, found a set on eBay to play with my kids. They don't make it anymore. I'll play Monopoly with them too. I love Scattergories but I trounce my kids too much and they don't like to play with me. I keep telling them 'When you finally do beat me, it will mean something!"

Non board game I love is Charades but you need big groups for that so I almost never get to play (but I'm killer, trust me, you want me on your team). I once guessed the answer in 5 seconds based solely on 'TV show' and the number of words in the title. (Hint, long titles are much easier than short ones.) Also Initial Bowl. It's obscure, you play it with pencil and paper, someday we'll all get together for a games night and I'll teach everybody how to play that one.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 9th, 2009, 1:13 am

Cranium is really damn fun, too. My favorite group game night choice.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 9th, 2009, 8:12 am

Is Scrabble really a board game? I mean, I know it's played on a board, but I thought that board games had to involve strategy and chance, with dice or a spinner or drawn cards. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I just never really thought of things like Scrabble as "board games".

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
knights68

Post by knights68 » May 9th, 2009, 8:59 am

I enjoyed RISK until I found Axis & Allies, an awesome WW2 based game. Enjoyed Dungeons and Dragons too, does that count?
Also enjoy Monopoly, but street rules version instead of the standard rules. Makes for a more fun, interesting game!
Does Chess count as a board game? If so, that's my ultimate fave! Anyone else likes chess? Let's put together a game sometime!

Always kind of stayed away from the "smart" games like crosswords or Scrabble. I am terrible with finding anything over two or three letter words and always lost the game (to my older brother no less). I'll stick with word finds, or Chess and Monopoly.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » May 9th, 2009, 9:06 am

Chess is the Mother of all board games.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 9th, 2009, 9:31 am

I love playing chess, but I suck at it. In college friends of mine and I would stay up way late playing. After I graduated, another friend and I would do the same. My wife's rule was we couldn't have take backs after midnight. 8-|
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 9th, 2009, 10:02 am

How about Trouble? I love pressing the Pop-O-Matic to "roll" the dice.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
knights68

Post by knights68 » May 9th, 2009, 10:04 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I love playing chess, but I suck at it 8-|
Think outside the box.... play Chess Monopoly! not only can you take Boardwalk, but you can also take out the Queens knight!! lol or play MonoChess, use Monopoly money to put bounties on the oppositions rook, or Bishop. Try to bride the opposing guys pawns by bribing with cash and property! Thinking outside the box.

I never said I was great at Chess, I am definitely no Bobby Fischer or Big Blue. I only learned and copied from my older brother who, the the day, was my tormentor and it was the only way I could survive constantly being beat at Chess and the ensuing noogies or worse afterwards!! lol
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 9th, 2009, 11:09 am

bjornolf wrote:Is Scrabble really a board game? I mean, I know it's played on a board, but I thought that board games had to involve strategy and chance, with dice or a spinner or drawn cards. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I just never really thought of things like Scrabble as "board games".

%%-
I'd argue that Scrabble involves rather large amounts of chance, simply with regard to what letters you draw. And there's definitely a lot of strategy involved, with placing things so as to maximize your score and minimize the opportunities you leave behind for your opponent.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 9th, 2009, 12:01 pm

I like Scattergories best.

In-line with DD's darts response, did anyone ever play Nolan Ryan's Strike Zone baseball? (http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... &indexURL=)

I had one when I was a kid and have contemplated buying one on ebay for years. Great game. I figure the purchase needs to happen before marriage because there is no way a wife would allow me to a) buy it or b) play it.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Shammrog

Post by Shammrog » May 10th, 2009, 7:52 am

wilson wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Monopoly. It sucks, because I'm the only one in my house who likes it. You used to be able to play it online, probably still can. Anyways, I'm the Iron, so hands off.
I got it on Wii a few months back. Found a pretty good deal on it and traded in some old stuff that I never played anyway. My brother actually rather likes it too, but we're just more inclined to play on his giant, beautiful television. You can also play against the computer, of course.
Oh shit Wilson... You have a Wii. Shammrog has a Wii... Online play?...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 10th, 2009, 9:08 am

Race car!! :ugeek:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.