Kindles and iPads and Nooks, oh my!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Kindles and iPads and Nooks, oh my!

Post by ArkieDukie » June 5th, 2010, 5:35 pm

As you may know from LTE, I lost my Kindle and am looking to replace it with another eBook reader. Love the Kindle for its size and ease of use. However, the iPad is tempting for its glitz. I thought I had settled on getting another Kindle, and then I did a bit more research. Lots of libraries now have programs for lending eBooks, and the Kindle doesn't support the format that is used. The Nook and the iPad do, however. Given this bit of information, I decided to check out the Nook at the local Barnes and Noble store. I was not at all impressed; all of the bugs I read about online were apparent. The Sony reader also supports the format that is used by libraries, so I decided to check it out. Also not impressive. So, now I'm back where I was last week - do I get an iPad, which is expensive and supports a myriad of document formats, or do I stick with the Kindle, which is pretty much limited to Amazon's book format? Another option is waiting a few months and seeing what else enters the marketplace. Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt on any other eReaders or tablet computers that will be coming on the market?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Kindles and iPads and Nooks, oh my!

Post by windsor » June 5th, 2010, 8:24 pm

I have a Nook for months....and its been great, no 'bugs' that I've encountered. I wouldn't buy any e-reader that didn't' support the standard ePub format (so the kindle was out for me from the start)

The iPad can't decide if it wants to be a tablet computer, an e-reader, or and iTouch and doesn't make it as any of those IMHO
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 5th, 2010, 9:12 pm

windsor wrote:I have a Nook for months....and its been great, no 'bugs' that I've encountered. I wouldn't buy any e-reader that didn't' support the standard ePub format (so the kindle was out for me from the start)

The iPad can't decide if it wants to be a tablet computer, an e-reader, or and iTouch and doesn't make it as any of those IMHO
Windsor, thanks so much for the information! The Nook that I tried out in the store seemed slow in comparison to my old Kindle, and the screen seemed to lock up. Maybe there was something wrong with the display model. Have you ever seen this happen with your Nook?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » June 5th, 2010, 9:34 pm

I love my ipad..I've only spent a limited amount of time on a kindle so I can't fairly compare the e-reading experience but I've read a handful of books on the ipad and found it very enjoyable. I've also converted all my magazine subscriptions over to my ipad (via the Zinio app and stand alone apps) and have seen my backlog of unread issues shrink considerably. I love the flexibility of being able to read a book/magazine, surf the web, and watch a movie from one device..
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 6th, 2010, 6:29 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:I have a Nook for months....and its been great, no 'bugs' that I've encountered. I wouldn't buy any e-reader that didn't' support the standard ePub format (so the kindle was out for me from the start)

Windsor, thanks so much for the information! The Nook that I tried out in the store seemed slow in comparison to my old Kindle, and the screen seemed to lock up. Maybe there was something wrong with the display model. Have you ever seen this happen with your Nook?

I have not. I can't compare the page turn speed with the Kindle, since I've never done it side by side. I will say I've not noticed it being slow (I've never stared at the screen waiting for the next page)

It could be the 'used and abused' factor on the demo model in the store.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 6th, 2010, 8:11 am

I would tell you I love our iPad, except I never get to see it anymore. I guess B loves it more...

I downloaded a free app of classic and historical books and the one book I've been reading has been great. Very readable, no page turn issues, very bright.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Okay, decision made: I purchased a 64 GB wireless iPad today. Decided that the usage of the 3G feature wouldn't be enough to warrant the extra money. I've already downloaded a pdf viewer, Kindle for iPad, and iBooks.
-- Albert Einstein
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 8th, 2010, 11:31 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Okay, decision made: I purchased a 64 GB wireless iPad today. Decided that the usage of the 3G feature wouldn't be enough to warrant the extra money. I've already downloaded a pdf viewer, Kindle for iPad, and iBooks.
Kudos! I'm already foaming at the mouth for the new iPhone.
sMiles