GPA update from Land of the Lost

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

GPA update from Land of the Lost

Post by Lavabe » May 6th, 2010, 2:25 pm

The UK men's basketball team, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader, scored a combined 2.025 for their fall semester team GPA. That's a 7.5 year low. Oddly enough, that's about a full point behind both Louisville (3.00) and Duke (3.01). The president of the university is "disappointed." The headline says it all: "Calipari's squad posts worst grades of UK teams."

Makes me wonder why they're talking contract extensions for Calipari.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: GPA update from Land of the Lost

Post by wilson » May 6th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Lavabe wrote:The UK men's basketball team, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader, scored a combined 2.025 for their fall semester team GPA. That's a 7.5 year low. Oddly enough, that's about a full point behind both Louisville (3.00) and Duke (3.01). The president of the university is "disappointed." The headline says it all: "Calipari's squad posts worst grades of UK teams."

Makes me wonder why they're talking contract extensions for Calipari.
New coach can't win the title with the consensus "most talented" team, nor can he sufficiently motivate his players to show up to class and/or put forth a modicum of effort. Has left both of his previous jobs (where he also could never win a title, despite immensely talented rosters there as well) under clouds of NCAA violations, and had both of his Final Four appearances vacated. Is set to be rewarded for all of this with (according to some reports) a lifetime contract. :-?? :-?? :-??
Will UK have the option to vacate the contract when Calipari's wins are likewise vacated? They're really making buffoons of themselves in Lexington.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 6th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Another thing that has occurred to me recently: Kentucky fans are really fond of claiming that they're the preeminent program in college basketball. However, 5 of their 7 titles were won before the tournament expanded (4 of those 5 before 1960, or in other words, over 50 years ago). Since Kentucky last went to the FF (1998, when they won their last title...damn you, St. Pete!), Duke has been to four FFs and won two titles. Now Big Blue is in the midst of a desperate, really quite pathetic ploy to win again with college basketball's foremost slimebag at the helm. If they still claim to have such rich tradition and pride (an increasingly shaky claim IMO), they should be embarrassed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 6th, 2010, 4:50 pm

One of them (unnamed) had a GPA of 1.something, which would disqualify him from playing in the fall. You know whoever it was is one of the ones who declared.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 6th, 2010, 4:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:One of them (unnamed) had a GPA of 1.something, which would disqualify him from playing in the fall. You know whoever it was is one of the ones who declared.
In the same article, the graphic (entitled "follow the bouncing grade-point average") has the spring 2002 semester at a meager 1.68 GPA FOR THE WHOLE TEAM. Why wasn't most of the team disqualified then?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
pinkbend
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by pinkbend » May 8th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Does anyone have an article or a link to an article that gives the graduation rate of men's basketball players in Division I schools? I remember an article that gave the rates for the top #1 seeds in this year's Final Four. But I'd like a more comprehensive "look" at various schools, especially those in the ACC.

Thanks for any help "you" can give me!
pinkbend
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by pinkbend » May 13th, 2010, 5:48 am

I found the OLD article, but this is for teams in the run to the Final Four.

Another NCAA bracket: Player graduation rates
Here's yet another factor that might help you fill out your NCAA bracket: Athlete graduation rates for the 65 teams headed to the basketball tournament.

Each year the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida releases a study examining the graduation rates of basketball players. This year the overall graduation rate for players is 64 percent, slightly up from last year.

Of the 65 tournament teams, 44 graduated at least half of their basketball student-athletes and 29 teams graduated at least 70 percent.

The institute picked its Top Ten for Graduation Success Rates (all of these schools had graduation rates over 90 percent): BYU, Marquette, Notre Dame, Utah State, Wake Forest, Wofford, Duke, Lehigh, Vermont and Villanova.

Among the No. 1 seeds, Duke has a 92 percent graduation success rate, followed by Kansas (73 percent), Syracuse (55 percent) and Kentucky (31 percent).

A dozen teams graduated less than 40 percent of their players. At the bottom of the list is the University of Maryland, which only graduated 8 percent of its student players. The next lowest was California with a 20 percent graduation rate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2010, 7:45 am

pinkbend wrote:I found the OLD article, but this is for teams in the run to the Final Four.

Another NCAA bracket: Player graduation rates
Here's yet another factor that might help you fill out your NCAA bracket: Athlete graduation rates for the 65 teams headed to the basketball tournament.

Each year the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida releases a study examining the graduation rates of basketball players. This year the overall graduation rate for players is 64 percent, slightly up from last year.

Of the 65 tournament teams, 44 graduated at least half of their basketball student-athletes and 29 teams graduated at least 70 percent.

The institute picked its Top Ten for Graduation Success Rates (all of these schools had graduation rates over 90 percent): BYU, Marquette, Notre Dame, Utah State, Wake Forest, Wofford, Duke, Lehigh, Vermont and Villanova.

Among the No. 1 seeds, Duke has a 92 percent graduation success rate, followed by Kansas (73 percent), Syracuse (55 percent) and Kentucky (31 percent).

A dozen teams graduated less than 40 percent of their players. At the bottom of the list is the University of Maryland, which only graduated 8 percent of its student players. The next lowest was California with a 20 percent graduation rate.
92% to 8%

I guess they are NOT our rivals.

:)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.