What are you reading?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

What are you reading?

Post by windsor » April 17th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Just finished the last download book on my Nook (I love..and I do mean Love :x :x :x my nook!)

Wondering what CTNers are reading right now...need to download a few more.

Just finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks...thought it was awesome. Any of you science geeks who are familiar with human cell lines, Henrietta Lacks is HELA.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: What are you reading?

Post by DukeUsul » April 17th, 2010, 12:56 pm

CTN
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 17th, 2010, 1:02 pm

medical journals

(I need a nap this afternoon :ymblushing: )
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 17th, 2010, 1:03 pm

My dog's mind. She says "pet me".
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 17th, 2010, 1:21 pm

Well big freakin' help you guys are!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 17th, 2010, 1:47 pm

devildeac wrote:medical journals

YOU are NOT RIGHT! =)) =)) =)) =))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 17th, 2010, 1:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:My dog's mind. She says "pet me".
Now there you go!!!!, WHAT LOVE! :D :ymblushing: ;)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 17th, 2010, 1:58 pm

The last book I read was Without Consent or Contract: The Rise and Fall of American Slavery, by Robert William Fogel (who is a Nobel laureate in economics). It's a historical analysis of slavery, its perception, and its impact from economic, social, and intellectual perspectives.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 17th, 2010, 2:09 pm

I'm reading The Help. http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stoc ... 231&sr=8-1
What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams.
I am loving this book and have a hard time putting it down. This is the first book I've read in a long time, if ever, that has made me look at myself and what I do, or don't do.. I had a long talk with a black friend yesterday about her experiences as a black women. It was a very interesting and enlightening conversation. I kind of wish I was in a book club as I really want to talk to other women who've read this book and get their thoughts.
I worship the Blue Devil!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 17th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Windows Home Server Unleashed, 2nd Edition
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 17th, 2010, 3:13 pm

The most recent book I read to "read" was The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine. It's about several relatively obscure hedge fund managers(one a Dukie) who bet against housing in the downturn and made a lot of money.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 17th, 2010, 3:31 pm

"Man the Hunted: Expanded Edition:" A book that reviews the role predation has had (and still has) on human evolution. Probably the easiest primatology book to read. :twocents:

Say, which predator would you think has the easiest time offing humans for lunch?
:-B
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 17th, 2010, 3:38 pm

Little Altars Everywhere by Rebecca Wells. This is the first Ya Ya book. I re-read her books every few years. She and Pat Conroy are my favorite authors.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 17th, 2010, 4:21 pm

My wife has me reading Kim Harrison on her Kindle. It's about a witch/cop living in modern day Cincinnati. I just finished the latest Jim Butcher Dresden Files novel. That's probably my favorite series right now. It's about a wizard living in modern day Chicago. It combines fantasy with a little bit of that Sam Spade "I could tell she was trouble the minute she walked in the room" stuff. His humor is wonderfully dry. I love it. The wife does too.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 17th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Lavabe wrote:"Man the Hunted: Expanded Edition:" A book that reviews the role predation has had (and still has) on human evolution. Probably the easiest primatology book to read. :twocents:

Say, which predator would you think has the easiest time offing humans for lunch?
Easiest time? Modern humans or our ancestors...our ancestors I'd say one one of the big cats..lion? tiger? Modern humans..hmmm if it was just killed I think it is deer of all things (read that somewhere) but they aren't having us for lunch...ditto rattlesnakes and the like..domestic dogs may kill you but they won't eat you...so shot in the dark...what the hell...I stick with the big cats...can I have 'leopard' for 500 Alex?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 17th, 2010, 5:28 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I'm reading The Help. http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stoc ... 231&sr=8-1
What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams.
I am loving this book and have a hard time putting it down. This is the first book I've read in a long time, if ever, that has made me look at myself and what I do, or don't do.. I had a long talk with a black friend yesterday about her experiences as a black women. It was a very interesting and enlightening conversation. I kind of wish I was in a book club as I really want to talk to other women who've read this book and get their thoughts.
I finished this book recently on my Kindle and LOVED it. Like Tilly, I had trouble putting it down. In fact, I was going to suggest this book to you, windsor. Tilly beat me to the punch! Anyone, everyone, read this book. It's amazing.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 17th, 2010, 5:30 pm

My current read is "Midwives" by Chris Bohjalian. Great book so far. I believe I ended up looking at it due to Tilly's rave review in another thread.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 17th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Lavabe wrote:"Man the Hunted: Expanded Edition:" A book that reviews the role predation has had (and still has) on human evolution. Probably the easiest primatology book to read. :twocents:

Lions? Tigers? Bears?

(Oh my!)
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » April 17th, 2010, 6:27 pm

The most recent new books I read were Neil Gaiman. American Gods and Neverwhere. Both very different and very good. I'm now re-reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. My brother got me Eoin Colfer's follow on book to the series And Another Thing ..., so I thought I'd re-cap the series before picking up the new one.
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 17th, 2010, 8:39 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:medical journals

YOU are NOT RIGHT! =)) =)) =)) =))
OK, I'll mix in a few chapters of The Ezekiel Option with stents and congestive heart failure... :tease:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.