Duke vs the ACC

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Duke vs the ACC

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 12th, 2010, 1:04 pm

Bleah...crappy first half..ugly D...but then Zoubs and Scheyer have been sitting on their butts most of the half with 2 fouls. Interesting to see Z keep them out with only 2. I expect a different team for the second.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke vs the ACC

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 12th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Awesome second half by Singler, he was infectious to the rest of the team and everyone was playing back to speed in the last 5 minutes.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » March 12th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Might have been a bit off-shooting since we didn't have a shoot-around on Wednesday like the other teams. Looks like it took our guys a while to adjust to the rims and sight-lines. That plus UVa's pretty good defense kept it close early. I like how a number of guys (esp. Singler and Zooooob) really asserted themselves down the stretch.
-- DukeUsul
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » March 12th, 2010, 2:25 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Might have been a bit off-shooting since we didn't have a shoot-around on Wednesday like the other teams. Looks like it took our guys a while to adjust to the rims and sight-lines. That plus UVa's pretty good defense kept it close early. I like how a number of guys (esp. Singler and Zooooob) really asserted themselves down the stretch.
Over the years, Duke has frequently opted out of the shoot around for the ACC tournament when it's being held in Greensboro.

A slow start and appearing to struggle a bit seem to be the way this team begins many games. The generally stout defense holds the opponent down long enough for the offense to get primed and begin to pull away.

I'm so glad Duke is not one of the top seeds toppled early in conference tournaments!
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » March 12th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'm so glad Duke is not one of the top seeds toppled early in conference tournaments!
Seriously. I was never horribly worried, but that was not a pretty game, so when Duke finally opened up a bit of a lead, I was #:-s
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 12th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Miami sends the turkies home, we play the 'Canes tomorrow.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 12th, 2010, 4:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Miami sends the turkies home, we play the 'Canes tomorrow.
Should be just about as physical as their FB team.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » March 12th, 2010, 5:21 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Miami sends the turkies home, we play the 'Canes tomorrow.
Who wants to play a physical game with a team whose uniforms are the color of something that spoiled in the frig?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 12th, 2010, 10:56 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Who wants to play a physical game with a team whose uniforms are the color of something that spoiled in the frig?
:)) :)) =)) =))
ILoveJimmy
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ILoveJimmy » March 13th, 2010, 12:45 pm

I found another interesting, maybe a little odd, article on Krzyzewski (and the Virginia game) again in the Greensboro paper. Here's the link:
http://www.news-record.com/content/2010 ... _brimstone
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2010, 1:17 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:I found another interesting, maybe a little odd, article on Krzyzewski (and the Virginia game) again in the Greensboro paper. Here's the link:
"When the Duke assistants asked where the inbounds play would be, Luckie ignored them."

This is another ref I despise almost as much as karl hess. He ignored a question from the coaches about an in-bounds play! WTF! He is also one of the two :poo: heads who thought that G's flagrant foul on Hanstravel was worthy to be called "fighting" and have him suspended for the next game.

Quite a smug piece of whine-ery by that journalist to further impugn K.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » March 13th, 2010, 3:56 pm

We almost coulda lost that one for a couplea reasons:
1) Allowing Miami to go 8-15 from three.
2) Too many turnovers, esp. down the stretch. (I kinda like having a team where 10 total TOs is abnormally many).

Chalk the second one up to Miami's very good defense, esp. forcing those three shot clock violations late. I'm still a believer in the stall game... and today just goes to show that even with those three bad turnovers, slowing the game down, limiting Miami's looks and slowing their rhythm can still work.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 13th, 2010, 3:59 pm

DukeUsul wrote:We almost coulda lost that one for a couplea reasons:
2) Too many turnovers, esp. down the stretch. (I kinda like having a team where 10 total TOs is abnormally many).

Chalk the second one up to Miami's very good defense, esp. forcing those three shot clock violations late. I'm still a believer in the stall game... and today just goes to show that even with those three bad turnovers, slowing the game down, limiting Miami's looks and slowing their rhythm can still work.
Throw in #3...sitting on the damn ball when we have a lead. 3 shot clock violations was disgusting to watch. Those vio's are on K, not the team. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
We didn't get a big lead by sitting on the ball, we won't keep a lead by sitting on the ball.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 13th, 2010, 4:01 pm

Now that I got my complaining out of the way...way to go Duke! Mason was huge, when the poll goes up, he'll be my BeDeviler. Kyle..obviously MOTM.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 13th, 2010, 4:05 pm

I am convinced after last night that your statement about the one rim (the one we had in the first half) is absolutely true. SOMETHING is up with it; when JS misses two FT's in a row, you know something is up.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 13th, 2010, 4:07 pm

Lavabe wrote: I am convinced after last night that your statement about the one rim (the one we had in the first half) is absolutely true. SOMETHING is up with it; when JS misses two FT's in a row, you know something is up.
It's haunted...but it's the good rim to start with, that way we finish playing on the good side.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » March 13th, 2010, 4:11 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Lavabe wrote: I am convinced after last night that your statement about the one rim (the one we had in the first half) is absolutely true. SOMETHING is up with it; when JS misses two FT's in a row, you know something is up.
It's haunted...but it's the good rim to start with, that way we finish playing on the good side.
Who haunted it? O:-)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2010, 4:25 pm

Lavabe wrote:

I am convinced after last night that your statement about the one rim (the one we had in the first half) is absolutely true. SOMETHING is up with it; when JS misses two FT's in a row, you know something is up.
IIRC, he was short on one of them. That had nothing to do with the rim. Plus, we led 30-18 with about 5 minutes to go so the rims weren't that bad for 3/4 of the 1st half. And um's D was partially dependent on hacking and bumping, daring the refs to call PF on them to the tune of 6 in the 1st half.

We won so I won't complain about the stall too much, but it was awful today.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » March 13th, 2010, 5:32 pm

devildeac wrote:IIRC, he was short on one of them. That had nothing to do with the rim. Plus, we led 30-18 with about 5 minutes to go so the rims weren't that bad for 3/4 of the 1st half. And um's D was partially dependent on hacking and bumping, daring the refs to call PF on them to the tune of 6 in the 1st half.

We won so I won't complain about the stall too much, but it was awful today.
NCSU is running into the same issue. Something like 1/12 3-pt shooting in the haunted rim half, and currently 4-6 3pt shooting in the unhaunted rim half.

Just sayin... :-?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 13th, 2010, 6:34 pm

ILoveJimmy wrote:I found another interesting, maybe a little odd, article on Krzyzewski (and the Virginia game) again in the Greensboro paper. Here's the link:
Is that hack a unc alum or something? What a bunch of drivel!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein