CathyCa lost a good friend

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

CathyCa lost a good friend

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 16th, 2010, 8:05 pm

I saw on facebook, a very good friend of CathyCa's, died in the Haiti earthquake, the Reverand, Sam Dixon. The first report received regarding Mr. Dixon, was he was safe. Later it was reported he had expired.

My prayers and thoughts to you CathyCa and Mr. Dixon's family and friends. God bless.

God bless to all in Haiti.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: CathyCa lost a good friend

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 16th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Condolences on your loss, Cathy. May he rest in peace.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 16th, 2010, 8:36 pm

He sounds like he was a good man, Cathy. Sorry for your loss.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/81658757.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » January 16th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Our pastor, John Check, shared with us at the prayer vigil that he was also friends with Reverend Dixon. Apparently Mr. Dixon provided an immense amount of encouragement to him when he was first beginning his career as a pastor.

He said that Sam Dixon, the Deputy General Secretary of UMCORE, was staying at the Montana, the nicest hotel in Haiti, and that if he had survived he would have been crawling around in the rubble trying to save everyone else. It sounds like he was a great man, and I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend Cathy...
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 16th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Condolences from Atlanta, too. The proportions of this tragedy are just staggering.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 16th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Cathy, I am so sorry for your loss. I had heard of Rev. Dr. Dixon's passing and didn't realize that he was a friend of yours.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 16th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Oh Cathy, I'm so sorry.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2010, 10:57 pm

So sorry to hear about this.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 16th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Thank you all for your kind words.

Sam Dixon was a United Methodist minister like my Dad. He served as Deputy General Secretary of UMCOR, the United Methodist Committee on Relief. Before taking his job with the General Board of Global Ministries with the United Methodist Church, Sam was a pastor here in North Carolina. He served the same church that my dad once served, First United Methodist Church in Roanoke Rapids. Even after he took the New York-based job with GBGM and UMCOR, Sam and his wife Cindy still lived in Roanoke Rapids. We have so many friends in common, as our family's paths have crossed so many times during Sam's and my dad's itinerant minstries.

Sam Dixon was faith in action. He just didn't preach the gospel--he lived it. He died doing what he loved--helping others in the name of Christ. I can't say it any better than Bishop Janice Huie of Texas, "[Sam] lived his life following the commandments of Jesus to feed the hungry, care for the sick, and love the least of these all over the world. Jesus is holding him dear, and we are in prayer for his family."

Sam was in Haiti this past week to discuss bringing better health care to the people of Haiti. He had gone to the airport to pick up a colleague, and they had just entered the Hotel Montana when the earthquake hit. No one heard from him for the first two days. Everyone had hoped that perhaps he was in a place where he couldn't get cell phone reception, and that maybe he was busy helping others, as he was inclined to do. Then, his family got word that he had been rescued. We rejoiced with them yesterday, thankful that our prayers had been answered. Today, Sam's family learned that he died in the rubble of the Hotel Montana.

When Mom and I got the word this afternoon, we were devastated. Our hearts are so heavy. We have lost a friend. We mourn with Cindy and her children.

I want to do something, but what? I've prayed so much already. I've given money to UMCOR, but I still want to do more. I think I'll put together some health kits tomorrow afternoon. Maybe some day I'll go to Haiti and help on a rebuilding project. I think that Sam Dixon would like that.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 16th, 2010, 11:32 pm

Cathy, I am so sorry for you and the Dixon family. You all are in my thoughts and prayers.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 17th, 2010, 5:21 am

So sorry to hear about your loss, Cathy. And so close on the heels of losing your friend Debbie. What a horrible thing. Lots of hugs and prayers and vibes to you and the reverend's family.

:ymhug: :YMPRAY: :wizard:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » January 17th, 2010, 7:07 am

Cathy,
I am so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and his.
Sheree
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 17th, 2010, 8:59 am

Cathy, Prayers and vibes to you and to Sam Dixon's family. He sounds like a truly wonderful man.

For those of you who have never heard of UMCOR and want to give money for the relief effort in Haiti, this is a great place to start. All of UMCOR's administrative costs are paid by the United Methodist Church, so 100% of the money you give for Haiti would go to Haiti. I don't think that many of the other big-name organizations can say that. (end of PSA...)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » January 17th, 2010, 9:55 am

I want to add my condolences. What a huge loss. I am grateful that Sam was doing what he loved.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » January 17th, 2010, 10:36 am

Add my thoughts and prayers to the group.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » January 17th, 2010, 2:39 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family. :( :ymhug: :pray:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 17th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Cathy, I'm so sorry for your loss. The world has lost a wonderful man.

I will second AD's PSA - UMCOR is a great place to make donations since the donated funds go 100% to relief. Methodist congregations cover the overhead through their apportionments.
Life is good!
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » January 18th, 2010, 1:23 pm

CathyCA wrote:Thank you all for your kind words.

I want to do something, but what? I've prayed so much already. I've given money to UMCOR, but I still want to do more. I think I'll put together some health kits tomorrow afternoon. Maybe some day I'll go to Haiti and help on a rebuilding project. I think that Sam Dixon would like that.
Sorry to hear of the loss of such a man, such a presence on this Earth! And I am sorry of the grief his family and friends, such as yourself, must work through.
If I may offer two thoughts for you to consider....
1) Let's not grieve for the loss of the Mighty Dixon, but rather let us be jealous and be thankful that he is in such a better place now. Who knows, he may have way more time and energies now to help even more people!
2) What to do? Why not "pay it forward", just as I am sure you have in mind. There are many needy folks closer to home than Haiti that need a helping hand and a hopeful heart. In the spirit of Mr. Dixon, find those folks and follow in his footsteps, perhaps on a lesser scale for obvious reasons, but nonetheless. No talk, no complacency, just do it.
We all should take a cue from the good preacher man!
Yes yes, that is the key. Do it not only on behalf of himself and you, but also in the spirit and for the cause in which he did it from the beginning.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 23rd, 2010, 5:36 pm

You miss a little time on CT and you miss a lot.
The world is a better place for his having been here.
There were many Americans at the Montana, weren't there?
Sorry for your loss.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 23rd, 2010, 5:56 pm

Thanks for all of your kind words.

Mom went to Sam Dixon's memorial service yesterday. The place was packed. She said that the service was a true celebration of Sam's life. One of the men who was trapped with Sam in the hotel spoke at the service. He spoke about the 55 hours that they were trapped in the rubble, they talked about their loved ones, and told each other what to tell their families in case they didn't survive, they sang songs, prayed and kept each other encouraged. Mr. Gulley wondered aloud why he was the one who survived, and then he went on to say that he had rededicated himself to the work that Sam was doing around the world to alleviate suffering.

Christian has already gone down to the MERCI Center in Goldsboro this week with his youth group to help make health kits for Haiti and other places affected by disaster. He delivered the 8 kits that I made. He is inspired to return and do more mission work.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith