Cold

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Cold

Post by Lavabe » January 2nd, 2010, 7:50 am

At what point does the temperature outside move from cold to COLD to f'ing cold?

Canadian Barry Melrose, ESPN hockey analyst, in summarizing yesterday's WINTER CLASSIC NHL hockey game in Boston, called it COLD (his emphasis).

Right now, its 14 degrees outside, with some flurries. Does that qualify as something more than "cold?"
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Cold

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 12:46 pm

Lavabe wrote:At what point does the temperature outside move from cold to COLD to f'ing cold?

Canadian Barry Melrose, ESPN hockey analyst, in summarizing yesterday's WINTER CLASSIC NHL hockey game in Boston, called it COLD (his emphasis).

Right now, its 14 degrees outside, with some flurries. Does that qualify as something more than "cold?"
It there is a brisk breeze it qualifies! Here the temp has risen to ~32F, but with the breeze biting through, it's f'ing cold out!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 12:50 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: It there is a brisk breeze it qualifies! Here the temp has risen to ~32F, but with the breeze biting through, it's f'ing cold out!
I'm with Ozzie...I can take cold, you can always bundle up. But when the wind is blowing, screw that. Even bundled up, I'm miserable with a wind chill.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 2nd, 2010, 1:20 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: It there is a brisk breeze it qualifies! Here the temp has risen to ~32F, but with the breeze biting through, it's f'ing cold out!
I'm with Ozzie...I can take cold, you can always bundle up. But when the wind is blowing, screw that. Even bundled up, I'm miserable with a wind chill.
How about a current temperature of 28 degrees that feels like 15? The wind gusts are up to 20mph......That's a biting cold! It's going to get worse before it gets better. No relief from the cold in sight. The meteorologists are comparing this cold streak to one that occurred in 1977.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 1:35 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
How about a current temperature of 28 degrees that feels like 15? The wind gusts are up to 20mph......That's a biting cold! It's going to get worse before it gets better. No relief from the cold in sight. The meteorologists are comparing this cold streak to one that occurred in 1977.
In Foscoe, which is on Hwy 105 between Boone and Banner Elk (and where my youngin lives, it's 14.3 with a wind chill of 0 right now. Boooooooooo chilly, and then some.
http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Foscoe
You can also see temps and forecasts of other towns, like Boone and Blowing Rock, under the "Forecast" button/drop down menu.
Ray's Weather home page is http://www.booneweather.com/

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 1:49 pm

It's 36 at Topsail with winds at 21 MPH so the wind chill is about 21. Nice for a brisk walk on the beach. With shoes, socks, windpants, a thermax, mock T-neck, windbreaker, toboggan cap and gloves, of course. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 2:00 pm

Just talked to mom in Va. (I was fixing her computer remotely..I gotta get away from computers today). She said their high will be 15. Ewww.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 2nd, 2010, 2:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just talked to mom in Va. (I was fixing her computer remotely..I gotta get away from computers today). She said their high will be 15. Ewww.
Yea, but if she has humidity about 50%, that will make the heat index about 20.
:roll: :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 2nd, 2010, 2:24 pm

we left kenansville to day, it was 34. when we got to efland it was 30. it feels colder with the wind. the sun is shinning. i guess that helps but not much.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 2:24 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Just talked to mom in Va. (I was fixing her computer remotely..I gotta get away from computers today). She said their high will be 15. Ewww.
Yea, but if she has humidity about 50%, that will make the heat index about 20.
:roll: :)) =))
I'll call her and tell her to go stand outside to warm up. ;)
She did say they had flurries, so there must be some humidity.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 2nd, 2010, 3:10 pm

Lavabe wrote:At what point does the temperature outside move from cold to COLD to f'ing cold?

That is cold, but nothing more. It is currently about 5 degrees fahrenheit here and it was colder yesterday evening when I left to head to my parent's place. I was outside cleaning the snow off my car for about ten minutes before I drove off and I did so in a sweatshirt - no jacket or gloves required. I'll start worrying about a coat and gloves when it is in the 0-5 degree fahrenheit range and even then only if I am going to be outside for any length of time - if I am just getting into the car and out again to head into a store or something I won't bother with a coat.

Then again, as we established in a previous thread, cold is relative.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 2nd, 2010, 3:10 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

It there is a brisk breeze it qualifies! Here the temp has risen to ~32F, but with the breeze biting through, it's f'ing cold out!

I'd kill for 32F right now.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 3:13 pm

colchar wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I'd kill for 32F right now.
You might break a sweat in that heat.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 2nd, 2010, 3:15 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:

Right now it is -13 celcius (8 degrees fahrenheit) with 35kmh winds (21mph) so imagine what our wind chill is like!
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 2nd, 2010, 3:24 pm

My Mom just called and asked me to head out to Sears to grab something for them that isn't available at any of the Sears stores in their town. I'll report in when I return to describe the cold here. I'm sure it will be ball-bustingly cold the first couple of minutes I'm outside but I should acclimatise to it fairly quickly.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 3:47 pm

colchar wrote: It is currently about 5 degrees Fahrenheit here and it was colder yesterday evening when I left to head to my parent's place. I was outside cleaning the snow off my car for about ten minutes before I drove off and I did so in a sweatshirt - no jacket or gloves required. I'll start worrying about a coat and gloves when it is in the 0-5 degree Fahrenheit range and even then only if I am going to be outside for any length of time - if I am just getting into the car and out again to head into a store or something I won't bother with a coat.

You are nucking futs, my friend.

Note, I twice corrected your spelling of Fahrenheit. Or rather, my spell checker did.

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2010, 4:28 pm

colchar wrote:

That is cold, but nothing more. It is currently about 5 degrees fahrenheit here and it was colder yesterday evening when I left to head to my parent's place. I was outside cleaning the snow off my car for about ten minutes before I drove off and I did so in a sweatshirt - no jacket or gloves required. I'll start worrying about a coat and gloves when it is in the 0-5 degree fahrenheit range and even then only if I am going to be outside for any length of time - if I am just getting into the car and out again to head into a store or something I won't bother with a coat.

Colchar, you need to get out to a warmer climate, to have something to compare to yours. When you experience a southern winter, you'll wonder what possessed you to live in the freezing cold for so long.

When I experience the cold we're having here, I wonder sometimes why I left the California winters. It never freezes in the winter in the valley. I miss California in the winter.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 4:37 pm

CathyCA wrote: Colchar, you need to get out to a warmer climate
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 2nd, 2010, 6:02 pm

CRAP! My hot water heater isn't working again, and I'm too scared to go and re-light the pilot light.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 2nd, 2010, 6:03 pm

CathyCA wrote:CRAP! My hot water heater isn't working again, and I'm too scared to go and re-light the pilot light.
As long as you don't smell gas, you should be ok. Turn it off for sure for a few minutes, fan the area, then turn it on and light. You'll be ok, and have a hot shower waiting in the morning.