Christmas pictures here!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Christmas pictures here!

Post by bjornolf » December 6th, 2009, 9:34 am

Hey all, just thought I'd start a thread where we could put up pictures of our decorations, or ourselves, or our kids, decked out in our holiday finest. Here's my house:

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Christmas pictures here!

Post by CathyCA » December 6th, 2009, 10:11 am

OMG! You need more yard for your decorations!

I need to put up my decorations, but first I need to move boxes around to make room for the tree.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » December 6th, 2009, 10:46 am

You sure got us started off with a BANG!!!! Verrrrry impressive big guy! Duke Power must be your friend!

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » December 6th, 2009, 2:11 pm

bjornolf wrote:Hey all, just thought I'd start a thread where we could put up pictures of our decorations, or ourselves, or our kids, decked out in our holiday finest. Here's my house:

%%-
Wow - you're a veritable Clark Griswold.
-- DukeUsul
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » December 6th, 2009, 2:22 pm

bjornolf wrote:Hey all, just thought I'd start a thread where we could put up pictures of our decorations, or ourselves, or our kids, decked out in our holiday finest. Here's my house:

%%-
A+, my friend! You're exactly the kind of house we try to find on Christmas Eve. Our tradition is enjoying the displays others have set up, stopping by our friends' annual Christmas Eve open house, and coming home to fall asleep on the couch to "It's a Wonderful Life".
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » December 6th, 2009, 2:25 pm

We haven't done the exterior yet, but here's one of Katie in front of our tree.

-- DukeUsul
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 6th, 2009, 2:26 pm

I love "Christmas Vacation". We watch it every year and laugh just as much or more than the last year. :))
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 6th, 2009, 2:28 pm

DukeUsul wrote:We haven't done the exterior yet, but here's one of Katie in front of our tree.

So sweet. Katie will really enjoy Christmas this year.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 6th, 2009, 2:31 pm

%%-
Great, I know your children are enjoying "their house". I love Christmas decorations.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 7th, 2009, 6:25 am

Katie looks so cute!

The annoying thing is that my wife won't let me get out on a ladder and put lights on the gutter up there (It's about 30 feet from the ground up there, and said ground is rather uneven). We have a decorating contest in our neighborhood, and I've never even sniffed so much as an honorable mention despite the "you can't win twice in a row" rule. All of the houses that win are shorter and their owners put lights on the gutters and even the roof. I'm afraid I don't stand a chance unless I risk life and limb to decorate my eaves. :ymsigh: Ah well, my bitterness over the years has mostly given way to the joy I see in both my kids' eyes and the eyes of the neighborhood kids that gather almost every night to stare and make the Christmas trees play their awesome wailing guitar solos of Christmas caroles. I catch myself air guitarring along sometimes. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 7th, 2009, 6:43 am

The other thing that annoys the you know what out of me is that the neighborhood teenagers like to bust up my decorations. I used to put candy cane lights along the other side of the driveway, but the kids use my side yard as a path between houses to get to the street above and behind us, and they've busted those up pretty good, even cutting the wires once. I also had a flagpole with a Christmas flag over there, and they stole the flag and the flagpole. They also popped one of my airblowns once, and another time, one of them pulled up the stakes so one of the airblowns blew away in the heavy wind, leaving a path of destruction across my yard as the hanging stakes caught on other decorations or just rolled over them. It really bums me out every year when I come out and find damage. :(( Ah well, 'tis life.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 7th, 2009, 7:35 am

bjornolf wrote:Katie looks so cute!

The annoying thing is that my wife won't let me get out on a ladder and put lights on the gutter up there (It's about 30 feet from the ground up there, and said ground is rather uneven). We have a decorating contest in our neighborhood, and I've never even sniffed so much as an honorable mention despite the "you can't win twice in a row" rule. All of the houses that win are shorter and their owners put lights on the gutters and even the roof. I'm afraid I don't stand a chance unless I risk life and limb to decorate my eaves. :ymsigh: Ah well, my bitterness over the years has mostly given way to the joy I see in both my kids' eyes and the eyes of the neighborhood kids that gather almost every night to stare and make the Christmas trees play their awesome wailing guitar solos of Christmas caroles. I catch myself air guitarring along sometimes. ;)

%%-
Why don't you find a handyman and pay him to go up on the ladder for you? He could string the lights, and you could pretend that you live in California and leave the lights up on the gutter all year. No one in California takes their icicle lights down after Christmas. They just don't plug them in for another 10 months.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 7th, 2009, 8:10 am

bjornolf wrote:The other thing that annoys the you know what out of me is that the neighborhood teenagers like to bust up my decorations. I used to put candy cane lights along the other side of the driveway, but the kids use my side yard as a path between houses to get to the street above and behind us, and they've busted those up pretty good, even cutting the wires once. I also had a flagpole with a Christmas flag over there, and they stole the flag and the flagpole. They also popped one of my airblowns once, and another time, one of them pulled up the stakes so one of the airblowns blew away in the heavy wind, leaving a path of destruction across my yard as the hanging stakes caught on other decorations or just rolled over them. It really bums me out every year when I come out and find damage. :(( Ah well, 'tis life.

%%-
That is so mean. Could you put up a motion camera & cut it on after the normal traffic is done for the night?
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » December 7th, 2009, 9:19 am

Well Joe, on behalf of Christmas decoration hooligans everywhere, I'll apologize. In my youth I was known for removing bulbs, moving decorations, and occasionally stealing Baby Jesus from manger scenes. I'm surprised I haven't had my comeuppance yet.... probably because my decorations are so meager compared to others.
-- DukeUsul
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » December 7th, 2009, 9:45 am

%%-
My goodness, you weren't kidding when you called! Nice JOB!!!! I'll bring the kids by so they can enjoy them also! I can't wait to hear the synchronized music as well! :-bd :-bd :-bd
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 7th, 2009, 9:49 am

DukeUsul wrote:Well Joe, on behalf of Christmas decoration hooligans everywhere, I'll apologize. In my youth I was known for removing bulbs, moving decorations, and occasionally stealing Baby Jesus from manger scenes. I'm surprised I haven't had my comeuppance yet.... probably because my decorations are so meager compared to others.
Yea, but did you ever break stuff and cut wires? I could deal with a pulled bulb and some moved decorations, though the stolen baby Jesus is pretty bad. One of my neighbors has those white wire frame reindeer, and somebody keeps making them mount each other. That, I think, is pretty hysterical.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » December 7th, 2009, 10:04 am

bjornolf wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Well Joe, on behalf of Christmas decoration hooligans everywhere, I'll apologize. In my youth I was known for removing bulbs, moving decorations, and occasionally stealing Baby Jesus from manger scenes. I'm surprised I haven't had my comeuppance yet.... probably because my decorations are so meager compared to others.
Yea, but did you ever break stuff and cut wires? I could deal with a pulled bulb and some moved decorations, though the stolen baby Jesus is pretty bad. One of my neighbors has those white wire frame reindeer, and somebody keeps making them mount each other. That, I think, is pretty hysterical.

%%-
Yeah - stealing Baby Jesus wasn't my idea, I was just an accomplice. And it was from a friends house and we fessed up. So I don't think we're going to hell.

Yeah - my wife wants those reindeers, but I say no way, since you know they'll end up like that.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 7th, 2009, 10:35 am

This was in an email sent to me today....
xmasdummy.jpg
"Good news is that I truly out did myself this year with my Christmas decorations. The bad news is that I had to take him down after 2 days." I had more people come screaming up to my house than ever.Great stories. But two things made me take it down.

First, the cops advised me that it would cause traffic accidents as they almost wrecked when they drove by.

Second, a 55 year old lady grabbed the 75 pound ladder almost killed herself putting it against my house and didn't realize it was A dummy until she climbed to the top (she was not happy). By the way, she was one of many people who attempted to do that.

My yard couldn't take it either. I have more than a few tire tracks where people literally drove up my yard."
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 7th, 2009, 10:55 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:This was in an email sent to me today....
xmasdummy.jpg
"Good news is that I truly out did myself this year with my Christmas decorations. The bad news is that I had to take him down after 2 days." I had more people come screaming up to my house than ever.Great stories. But two things made me take it down.

First, the cops advised me that it would cause traffic accidents as they almost wrecked when they drove by.

Second, a 55 year old lady grabbed the 75 pound ladder almost killed herself putting it against my house and didn't realize it was A dummy until she climbed to the top (she was not happy). By the way, she was one of many people who attempted to do that.

My yard couldn't take it either. I have more than a few tire tracks where people literally drove up my yard."
I love it! =))
I recently saw a dummy hanging backward from a center-front barn window somewhere. If I weren't trying to think of where it was, I'd have already spit it out.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 16th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Here's one of Michael at the school Christmas program yesterday.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...