Thanksgiving plans, what are yours?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Thanksgiving plans, what are yours?

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 22nd, 2009, 8:35 am

We are going to Kenansville for Thanksgiving. @ the little house. At last count, around 22 people are coming. Tables are going to be set up in the garage. The only place large enough to set up for this many people. We have done this before & it works quite nice. I'm looking forward to Thursday. I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving. :)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Thanksgiving plans, what are yours?

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 22nd, 2009, 8:40 am

I'm staying at home, handling the cooking duties. TNTdevil got me thinking about smoking our turkey this year, and I've ordered some maple wood for that purpose. Family is leary about this plan. :-s Friday I'll be headed off to Durham to watch the game (hopefully we will be playing) with my dad, and then gonna get up bright and early to enjoy our last Brunchgate of the year.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 22nd, 2009, 9:12 am

Thanksgiving for our family will be spread out this year. My mother and I are going to join my niece's extended family in Durham on Thursday. It's kinda nice not to have to prepare lots this year! My sister will be going to Saint Louis to meet her son's future in-laws. My brother and his wife are hosting their extended family in WS.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 22nd, 2009, 10:06 am

Local, at my mother-in-law's house, where my sister-in-law will butcher, uh, cook, another turkey.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 22nd, 2009, 10:21 am

It looks like just the OP, DukeRah, the dogs and me this year. We will decide on Wednesday whether we are cooking up at the lake or staying in "The Dump". Wherever we are, we'll have much to be thankful for. We've survived two really rough ones. Way up there on my gratitude list will be all of my CTN family, who brought plenty of cyberlove to help us get through.

DukeRah has still not mended completely. But hey, she teetered on the brink for so long we realize it's still going to be a while yet. At the risk of jinxing everything I have to say I think we really will get her there this time.

All of you have a wonderful day and try to get hungry again by Saturday.
Love and thanks, **== Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 22nd, 2009, 10:22 am

I'm staying here and cooking dinner for my parents and K68.
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2009, 10:47 am

I wanna have some deep fried refs for a side dish that day.

But, as Ozzie said on another thread, they may be a little "gamie." :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 22nd, 2009, 11:12 am

devildeac wrote:I wanna have some deep fried refs for a side dish that day.

We had to spend Saturday at a funeral. Missed all action on fields and courts. Was the reffing really bad? (That may be the dumbest question I have EVER asked. 8-} )
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » November 22nd, 2009, 11:15 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
devildeac wrote:I wanna have some deep fried refs for a side dish that day.

We had to spend Saturday at a funeral. Missed all action on fields and courts. Was the reffing really bad? (That may be the dumbest question I have EVER asked. 8-} )
Love, Ima
It was worse than the VT game.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 22nd, 2009, 2:11 pm

We've stopped going up north to visit family for Thanskgiving. It's too much to do that drive with kid and dogs twice in 30 days. We've been having T-giving with some good friends who live in Durham and who also went to Duke. We'll be deep frying a bird for at least the third year in a row now. We're responsible for bringing the green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie.
-- DukeUsul
DukePA

Post by DukePA » November 22nd, 2009, 4:55 pm

I'm bringing a monster amount of candied yams to feed the Kenansville hoard. Stevo is contributing oysters.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2009, 5:35 pm

Turkey Trot in the AM perhaps and over the river (Haw and Eno) and through the woods (Duke Forest) to grandmother's (and grandfather's) house (well, nearby anyway) for a dinner out at Mimi's Cafe. They can't get their act together to cook and don't want to burden their 2 daughters in the area to cook and clean up, so we go out every Turkey Day.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 22nd, 2009, 6:18 pm

devildeac wrote:Turkey Trot in the AM perhaps and over the river (Haw and Eno) and through the woods (Duke Forest) to grandmother's (and grandfather's) house (well, nearby anyway) for a dinner out at Mimi's Cafe. They can't get their act together to cook and don't want to burden their 2 daughters in the area to cook and clean up, so we go out every Turkey Day.
Bless Bud. He insist on cleanup when we have company. I offered "chinet" but he declined. I have sorta lost count of folks coming to our house in Kenansville. I think its 24. I there is anyone who does not have a place to go, come on down East with us. Serious. :ymhug:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 22nd, 2009, 6:49 pm

I'm driving to Arkansas to hang out with the fam. Driving down on Thursday; traffic isn't as crazy as on Wednesday.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 22nd, 2009, 8:27 pm

Thanksgiving with the Ferrells in Greenville! Then off to the Duke vs. Wake Forest game. :D
Class of 2014
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 22nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

I have alot going on this week, but plan on being with my girl and her son for Thanksgiving and the weekend! I wanted to have my replacement car before heading to Greenville, but not sure if I can pull that miracle off, but working hard on it! My rental will get real expensive if not! Can't wait for the win this weekend! I hope our boys have some Red Bulls because they seem too be losing their stamina in the 2nd half which is killing us!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2009, 9:15 pm

cl15876 wrote:I have alot going on this week, but plan on being with my girl and her son for Thanksgiving and the weekend! I wanted to have my replacement car before heading to Greenville, but not sure if I can pull that miracle off, but working hard on it! My rental will get real expensive if not! Can't wait for the win this weekend! I hope our boys have some Red Bulls because they seem too be losing their stamina in the 2nd half which is killing us!
It was 80+ degrees in miami yesterday according to the sometimes dependable Bob Harris with about 110% humidity. Unfortunately, Cut can't simulate those conditions in Derm in November unless he works out his team in the Yoh Center hot tub.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 22nd, 2009, 9:21 pm

Rolvix wrote:Thanksgiving with the Ferrells in Greenville! Then off to the Duke vs. Wake Forest game. :D
I do hope we will see you. :)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 22nd, 2009, 9:22 pm

cl15876 wrote:I have alot going on this week, but plan on being with my girl and her son for Thanksgiving and the weekend! I wanted to have my replacement car before heading to Greenville, but not sure if I can pull that miracle off, but working hard on it! My rental will get real expensive if not! Can't wait for the win this weekend! I hope our boys have some Red Bulls because they seem too be losing their stamina in the 2nd half which is killing us!
Wow, 8-x , you're multi-talented: you're going to be your girl and her son? Are you going to be yourself at the same time? :ymdevil: :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 22nd, 2009, 9:22 pm

devildeac wrote:
It was 80+ degrees in miami yesterday according to the sometimes dependable Bob Harris with about 110% humidity. Unfortunately, Cut can't simulate those conditions in Derm in November unless he works out his team in the Yoh Center hot tub.
It sounded as if our guys were holding up better than the Miami guys.