Ode to Server

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Ode to Server

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 18th, 2009, 1:16 am

Okay, so I am a waitress. Tonight my coworker got tipped .75 cents on a 51$ tab, this is stereotypical for the individuals. But seriously how the hell is someone really going to do that? If you can't afford to tip someone 15 percent at least.. why go out to eat. Unless the server sucked (which I know the server and he is a good server and did nothing wrong) I don't understand it. I mean I have had conversations with people who have asked about server paychecks, and I always say the same thing, "What paycheck?" Do people not realize servers get below minimum wage (3.77-4.25 and that is where the taxes come from. Sorry if anyone gets insulted here, but really? I had a table tell me once, "You get a paycheck we don't have to tip you" and they were nice people! My reply was, "Uhm my paycheck every 2 weeks is under 70 dollars.." they tipped 2$ on 36. Sigh.. And my BIGGEST pet peeve as a server. If you have a bad day...PLEASE please please please.. do not take it out on your server. I had a lady today say excuse me while my back was turned and when I didn't turn around right away said excuse me again but high volume and increase attitude, and request whatever she wanted with the same attitude.. Really your going to treat the person who brings your food like crap? Hmm...Okay I am done venting, I think. Hahaha oh the stories I could tell.. /:) :ymbringiton:
Teach your children ABC's-Anyone But Carolina
colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Ode to Server

Post by colchar » April 18th, 2009, 3:14 am

WindsorsDaughter wrote:Okay, so I am a waitress. Tonight my coworker got tipped .75 cents on a 51$ tab, this is stereotypical for the individuals. But seriously how the hell is someone really going to do that? If you can't afford to tip someone 15 percent at least.. why go out to eat. Unless the server sucked (which I know the server and he is a good server and did nothing wrong) I don't understand it. I mean I have had conversations with people who have asked about server paychecks, and I always say the same thing, "What paycheck?" Do people not realize servers get below minimum wage (3.77-4.25 and that is where the taxes come from. Sorry if anyone gets insulted here, but really? I had a table tell me once, "You get a paycheck we don't have to tip you" and they were nice people! My reply was, "Uhm my paycheck every 2 weeks is under 70 dollars.." they tipped 2$ on 36. Sigh.. And my BIGGEST pet peeve as a server. If you have a bad day...PLEASE please please please.. do not take it out on your server. I had a lady today say excuse me while my back was turned and when I didn't turn around right away said excuse me again but high volume and increase attitude, and request whatever she wanted with the same attitude.. Really your going to treat the person who brings your food like crap? Hmm...Okay I am done venting, I think. Hahaha oh the stories I could tell.. /:) :ymbringiton:

Too bad you don't work as a server in the bar I work in as a bouncer. I'd throw those people out the door real quick.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 18th, 2009, 8:05 am

WindsorsDaughter wrote:Okay, so I am a waitress. Tonight my coworker got tipped .75 cents on a 51$ tab, this is stereotypical for the individuals. But seriously how the hell is someone really going to do that? If you can't afford to tip someone 15 percent at least.. why go out to eat. Unless the server sucked (which I know the server and he is a good server and did nothing wrong) I don't understand it. I mean I have had conversations with people who have asked about server paychecks, and I always say the same thing, "What paycheck?" Do people not realize servers get below minimum wage (3.77-4.25 and that is where the taxes come from. Sorry if anyone gets insulted here, but really? I had a table tell me once, "You get a paycheck we don't have to tip you" and they were nice people! My reply was, "Uhm my paycheck every 2 weeks is under 70 dollars.." they tipped 2$ on 36. Sigh.. And my BIGGEST pet peeve as a server. If you have a bad day...PLEASE please please please.. do not take it out on your server. I had a lady today say excuse me while my back was turned and when I didn't turn around right away said excuse me again but high volume and increase attitude, and request whatever she wanted with the same attitude.. Really your going to treat the person who brings your food like crap? Hmm...Okay I am done venting, I think. Hahaha oh the stories I could tell.. /:) :ymbringiton:
There are some people who don't realize they're undertipping. My dad used to tip $1-2 until my sisters and I straightened him out. Not saying it's right, and I'm not saying that everyone undertips for that reason, but there are some people out there who genuinely don't know any better.

By the way, WD, welcome to the board! You inspired one of the funniest threads I have ever read!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
herb
PW in training
PW in training

Post by herb » April 18th, 2009, 8:29 am

What are most people tipping these days? (I think there was a thread on the DBR at one point.) I am now doing 20%. Just seems right given the economy and the effect on restaurants - and thus on the servers.
AKA Duke74
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 18th, 2009, 9:02 am

I always tip at least 20% unless the server is mean and rude. I can think of one time that has happened in about a gazillion years. CB&B, my brother and I watched the last Duke-unc game with the Wilmington Duke Alumni club at a Wilmington restaurant and bar. Our server did a really good job until the end. She handed out our checks, I gave her a good tip, then she had the gall to to say, "sorry guys! I've been quiet all game, but woo hoo!" In other words, a stupid holes fan. I handed her my revised check where I marked out the tip and told her, "bad move. really bad move. You lost a nice tip because you had to rub it in." I still feel like a bitch for doing that, but damn, it was low of her to rub it in. Most of the place was packed with holes fans except for our section. She helped me decide to never watch Duke sports in public again and unless it's at Duke or a tournament.

Except for that incident, I always, always tip big. I think it's criminal that restaurants aren't required to pay reasonable wages.
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 18th, 2009, 9:49 am

Yes 20 percent is good for a server who is good.

The UNC fan story though reminds me of my work.. I work with a UNC fan and we get along dandy we don't rub in anything. But I served a table which had about 4/5 fans right after the Boston College loss. And we were talking about upcoming games this and that. Somehow they found out I was a Duke fan (something I said Idk) and their tip on their receipt was "GO UNC". I was pissed I was nice to them the whole time didn't say anything mean about their team or anything. All well..
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 18th, 2009, 9:50 am

colchar wrote:
WindsorsDaughter wrote:Okay, Hmm...Okay I am done venting, I think. Hahaha oh the stories I could tell.. /:) :ymbringiton:

Too bad you don't work as a server in the bar I work in as a bouncer. I'd throw those people out the door real quick.

Aw like a knight in shining armor??? :ymhug:
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 18th, 2009, 1:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
By the way, WD, welcome to the board! You inspired one of the funniest threads I have ever read!

She'll be forever immortalized around here much like Speedo Guy is in Cameron.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 18th, 2009, 1:22 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote:
colchar wrote:
WindsorsDaughter wrote:Okay, Hmm...Okay I am done venting, I think. Hahaha oh the stories I could tell.. /:) :ymbringiton:

Aw like a knight in shining armor??? :ymhug:

But of course.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » April 18th, 2009, 3:32 pm

colchar wrote:

But of course.
Are you practicing for a Grey Poupon commercial?
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 18th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Sue71 wrote:
Are you practicing for a Grey Poupon commercial?

But of course.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 18th, 2009, 4:55 pm

colchar wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

She'll be forever immortalized around here much like Speedo Guy is in Cameron.
I am no ware near Speedo Guy! He is on a way higher level.
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 18th, 2009, 4:57 pm

colchar wrote:

But of course.
Awh :ymdaydream:
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 18th, 2009, 5:31 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote:
colchar wrote:

But of course.
Awh :ymdaydream:

I thought you'd appreciate that ;)
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 19th, 2009, 11:05 am

colchar wrote:

That I did!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 19th, 2009, 11:48 am

WindsorsDaughter wrote:
colchar wrote:

That I did!

I aim to please - especially for my future wife.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 19th, 2009, 12:21 pm

colchar wrote:

I aim to please - especially for my future wife.
Well thank you future husband! It shall be a wonderful marriage than <3 my cooking skills are limited, but I can make lasagna, grilled cheese, and uhm some other stuff. But I make REALLY good apple pie :)
Last edited by WindsorsDaughter on April 19th, 2009, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 19th, 2009, 12:23 pm

WindsorsDaughter wrote:
Well thank you future husband! It shall be a wonderful marriage than :x my cooking skills are limited, but I can make lasagna, grilled cheese, and uhm some other stuff. But I make REALLY good apple pie :)

No worries. I love to cook and am actually quite good at it. I can also bake (from scratch).
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
WindsorsDaughter
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by WindsorsDaughter » April 19th, 2009, 12:25 pm

colchar wrote:
WindsorsDaughter wrote:
Well thank you future husband! It shall be a wonderful marriage than :x my cooking skills are limited, but I can make lasagna, grilled cheese, and uhm some other stuff. But I make REALLY good apple pie :)

No worries. I love to cook and am actually quite good at it. I can also bake (from scratch).

Oh and that angry face was def. supposed to be the smiley with the heart!!! Not an angry face. You can bake?? yummyy
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 19th, 2009, 12:29 pm

10% for lousy service, 15% for average and near 20% for excellent service.

Servers: be pleasant and attentive and don't insult your patrons. I would have reduced/eliminated the tip, too, as DukePA did. No reason to be a shit about/toward your clients/customers.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.