Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » October 22nd, 2009, 7:36 pm

devildeac wrote:Second in a series, but NOT consumed on the same night:

Harpoon Leviathan-Not to be confused with your standard Harpoon ales. This one is a monster. An IIPA with a huge hop presence. The IBU is listed at 122! It tastes it, too with a buncha different hops which explode into flavors of pine, flowers and grapefruit. Massive amounts of malts balance this brew with some caramel sweetness and an ABV of 9.3%. This beverage would match nicely with spicy/hot dishes. Hey, CB&B and 8-x , whaddaya think? ;) :D
I've had a few in this series but can't remember if I've tried this one..sounds like a beast of a dipa...I recently had the saison in the series which is unusual for a saison but very good..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 22nd, 2009, 7:46 pm

Bruery Hottenroth..my first beer by the Bruery which produces some pretty unique beers. I have their autumn maple which is made with yams sitting on my shelf for thanksgiving. The Hottenroth is a listed as a berliner weisse which I had never heard of before buying. Comes in a nice 750ml bottle. Pours a cloudy lemon yellow with a fairly large head. Extremely murky for such a pale beer.. Taste is tart and citrusy though not overpoweringly so. Very little hop presence. Strong crisp wheat taste. A very refreshing and tasty beer despite being fairly light. Comes in at a whopping 3.1% ABV so polishing off the whole 750ml was rather easy...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 7:50 pm

Wow...Ymm, Beer! is sneaking up on 1000.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 7:53 pm

bluebear wrote:Bruery Hottenroth..my first beer by the Bruery which produces some pretty unique beers. I have their autumn maple which is made with yams sitting on my shelf for thanksgiving.
That sounds very intriguing, looking forward to that review, the hottenroth sounds interesting. I wonder why such a low ABV, even for a wheat that is very low.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 22nd, 2009, 8:00 pm

Great DIvide Hibernation---2006 vintage..a store near me was selling these off for $2 each which seemed pretty cheap for a 3 year old cellared beer. The store is pretty reputable so I was confident that this was well taken care of during its aging (though at only 8%, it seemed like a risk for extended cellaring). Pours a deep brown amber with no head. There was decent amount of sediment floating around which I'm not sure is normal or a product of aging. Lots of sweet malts up front with a nice old ale whiskey bite on the backside. I can taste the booze a bit though its fairly muted. This is a great old ale..I don't mind sweeter old ales/barleywines, but I also like ones like Hibernation with the sweetness is a little more subtle. I'm hoping to find an 09 version soon so that I can compare it to the 06...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 22nd, 2009, 8:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote:Bruery Hottenroth..my first beer by the Bruery which produces some pretty unique beers. I have their autumn maple which is made with yams sitting on my shelf for thanksgiving.
That sounds very intriguing, looking forward to that review, the hottenroth sounds interesting. I wonder why such a low ABV, even for a wheat that is very low.
I know..I can't remember seeing another beer with such a low abv...definitely worth checking out if you see it around..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2009, 9:48 pm

bluebear wrote:Bruery Hottenroth..my first beer by the Bruery which produces some pretty unique beers. I have their autumn maple which is made with yams sitting on my shelf for thanksgiving. The Hottenroth is a listed as a berliner weisse which I had never heard of before buying. Comes in a nice 750ml bottle. Pours a cloudy lemon yellow with a fairly large head. Extremely murky for such a pale beer.. Taste is tart and citrusy though not overpoweringly so. Very little hop presence. Strong crisp wheat taste. A very refreshing and tasty beer despite being fairly light. Comes in at a whopping 3.1% ABV so polishing off the whole 750ml was rather easy...
I'm really interested in your yam/maple beer review as I saw that on the shelves at Total Wine and Whole Foods and almost placed it in the cart ;) :D . I hope they did not charge you $10 for the 3.1% beer :roll: :(( . They also have one with brett which I'd bet is very intriguing
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2009, 9:52 pm

bluebear wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I know..I can't remember seeing another beer with such a low abv...definitely worth checking out if you see it around..
I think they shill brew $h!t like that in Utah :(( :)) =)) . Aren't most of the US near beers/fake beers/lite beers/polyester beers right at 3.2% also? :roll:
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 22nd, 2009, 10:06 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Bruery Hottenroth..my first beer by the Bruery which produces some pretty unique beers. I have their autumn maple which is made with yams sitting on my shelf for thanksgiving. The Hottenroth is a listed as a berliner weisse which I had never heard of before buying. Comes in a nice 750ml bottle. Pours a cloudy lemon yellow with a fairly large head. Extremely murky for such a pale beer.. Taste is tart and citrusy though not overpoweringly so. Very little hop presence. Strong crisp wheat taste. A very refreshing and tasty beer despite being fairly light. Comes in at a whopping 3.1% ABV so polishing off the whole 750ml was rather easy...
I'm really interested in your yam/maple beer review as I saw that on the shelves at Total Wine and Whole Foods and almost placed it in the cart ;) :D . I hope they did not charge you $10 for the 3.1% beer :roll: :(( . They also have one with brett which I'd bet is very intriguing
I think I paid 7 which is not too bad for 750ml despite the low abv...I don't think i've seen the one with brett but I'll have to keep my eye out for it.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 23rd, 2009, 9:33 pm

You can still buy 3.2 beer in the great State of Colorado. In fact, up until June of 2008, that's all you could buy on Sunday. Also, to this day, it's all you can buy in grocery stores/convenient stores/gas stations. So, if ever in Colorado, buy your beer at a liquor store.

With that said, 3.2 beer is actually measured by weight, and not volume. So, while still low, it's actually closer to or, in some cases, above 4% ABV.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 23rd, 2009, 11:48 pm

OK, folks, you are on milestone alert/watch effective immediately. Someone had better come up with an outstanding :beer: /review for #1000. ;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2009, 7:16 pm

I was just talking to a few people about this brewer yesterday, I wasn't sure if they had opened or not. Mother Earth is in Kinston..
http://www.kinston.com/news/world-59480 ... nston.html
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 8:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was just talking to a few people about this brewer yesterday, I wasn't sure if they had opened or not. Mother Earth is in Kinston..
http://www.kinston.com/news/world-59480 ... nston.html
I know where you'll be making an occasional detour/"watering" stop on your way up to the Triangle area from the coast. ;) :D :)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 8:43 pm

OK, here's the push to 1000 posts on this thread.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale-This really fine IPA that I had never had before (shame on me :( ) started our Brunchgate tasting/trading session yesterday. All the usual characteristics of a solid IPA with a yellow-golden color, modest head and a great scent and taste of citrus and pine from a small variety of hops, including Simcoe and Amarillo, IIRC. Good balance with the maltiness with a fairly standard ABV of 7% and an estimated IBU of 70-80. Shared with CB&B (the importance of that declaration becomes very important as the morning, afternoon and evening proceeded) and brought to the festivities by dpslaw in his 1st visit this year. An excellent choice.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 8:51 pm

Big Boss Harvest Time Pumpkin Ale-from downtown Raleigh via dpslaw again. I reviewed a draft of this from Tyler's a month or so ago. Pretty typical stuff here with cinnamon and nutmeg with very little pumpkin taste. It is basically a lighter brown ale or darker amber with low IBU (probably about 30) and average ABV at 5.5%. I had some pumpkin/cream cheese squares AND some pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing to go with this beer and it was a nice combo. This brew was also shared with 2-3 other folks. Pacing, folks, pacing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 8:59 pm

CB&B's Scotch Ale-This represents the 30 day tasting (once again, a shared beer) of his homebrew. This has matured and is a bit darker and more carbonated than the first review after homecoming in late September ("...and I really should be back at school..."). We both agree that his version last year was better. This one lacks some of the caramel/chocolate malts, and therefore, some of the color and sweetness of a typical scotch ale. Minimal bitterness with an estimated IBU of 30-40 and an ABV of probably about 7%. I'll have a 60 day review in another month or so, perhaps for post #2000 on this thread :roll: :)) =)) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 9:18 pm

Terrapin Side Project-Maggie's Farmhouse Ale-A nicely done specialty from the folks in Athens, Georgia. Light, crisp and clean with a tang of orange from the wheat malt and lemon-grass tastes from the other blend of lighter hops and malts. About 6 of us shared this bomber with an IBU of 25 (Ozzie liked it!) and a very session-able ABV of 6%. I think I had some broccoli salad and crudites about this time and they blended well. I think CB&B brought this one. Or was it 8-x ? Hmm, memory is fading a bit after all this food and ale. For those interested in reading a bit more about it: http://www.terrapinbeer.com/beers/23-Vo ... house-Ale-
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Otter Creek IIPA-Quite a find here by 8-x ! A monster I2PA I had never heard of before. A blend of 4 hops for an intense grapefruity nose and taste which is fairly well-balanced with 6 malts, including, somewhat surprisingly, some wheat malt. This one will indeed turn your tongue upside down and around with an enormous IBU of 135! It will also knock you on your arse with an ABV of 11%! I think 6 of us attacked this bad boy and amazingly we were still standing by the bottom of the bottle. TNT had his spiced/peppered beef tenderloin ready at this time after the FB game and the brew and the beef made a nice combination. Heads up to bluebear about this one. I think rmd would thoroughly enjoy this brew, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 9:39 pm

For wilson:

http://www.ccbeer.com/files/ccbeerfiles ... pkin_0.jpg

The Great Pumpkin Imperial Pumpkin Ale-This is part of the Heavy Seas/Mutiny fleet series by the Clipper City Brewing Company. This, with the DFH Punkin', may be my 2 favorite pumpkin offerings this year. It is a clear amber with a short-lived, small head. There is actually some aroma and taste of pumpkin in this extreme brew. The spices are obvious but not overpowering and include your usual suspects of cinnamon and nutmeg. Very drinkable at 25 IBU but very slightly boozy at 8% ABV. A nice bomber to share (with several other participants) and a nice one to have with the pumpkin desserts brought yesterday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 9:59 pm

I'll offer this one as the 1000th post in this thread:

Keelhauler Scotch Ale-Full Sail Brewing Company-Great but sad story here. I brought this $3 bomber (no typo-3 bucks!) back directly from the brewery after a tour in March when we returned after Dad's death and just got around to sharing it with the Brunchgate crowd yesterday. Pops would have been happy with this choice of a standard scotch ale with lots of caramel and chocolate malts and flavors with a hint of peat and smoke. Once again, think a brown ale type brew with IBU of 30-40 and the IBU is listed at 6.8%. This was excellent with the baked beans and Mrs. Ozzie's almost-melt-in-your-mouth re-creation of Val's beef brisket. Yummy.

There aren't many better things than sharing some of the finest offerings of life including the four F's: faith, family, friends and football. And ironically, that is what Coach Cut emphasized during his summer tour when he came to Raleigh. He stressed one's personal faith above all. He discussed how important his family is to him and how fellowship/friendship were interwoven with the game of football. I had the opportunity to experience the combination of fine family, food/beverages and fellowship yesterday with the football, in addition to a couple other F's, namely some fugly playing/officiating AND some foul/fowl weather. But, well after the rain had ceased, we realized we had a great day and, in the end, some more pleasant experiences of Duke sports and more fond memories of Dad and how much he liked to be with us on those occasions.