Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 14th, 2009, 11:24 pm

2. New Holland Brewing Company- The Poet-An oatmeal stout. I actually liked the SA a bit better. This was a tad too bitter for a stout and the oatmeal did not smooth it out as much as I thought it would. The chocolate and coffee tastes were fine and it was quite drinkable with an estimated IBU of 30-40 and an ABV listed at 5.2%. It also made a nice combo with some mixed nuts and as a mini-stout session with the SA. CB&B strikes again with the trader.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » October 15th, 2009, 8:58 am

Ommegang Adoration--One of two new offerings from Ommegang this fall (the other being a Tripel)..This one is a strong dark ale/winter warmer. Corked 750ml bottle. Pours a deep amber brown with a medium head. Taste is all malt. Lots of sweet carmel malts and candied fruit. A fairly substantial bready yeast taste..lots of spice. Some boozy alcohol taste but not overpowering given the 10% ABV. This is like drinking christmas dessert... A bit of a departure from the rest of the Ommegang lineup which seem to stick to more traditional belgian styles..but a nice ale that I would surely enjoy even more in December.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 15th, 2009, 9:01 am

bluebear wrote:Ommegang Adoration--One of two new offerings from Ommegang this fall (the other being a Tripel)..This one is a strong dark ale/winter warmer. Corked 750ml bottle. Pours a deep amber brown with a medium head. Taste is all malt. Lots of sweet carmel malts and candied fruit. A fairly substantial bready yeast taste..lots of spice. Some boozy alcohol taste but not overpowering given the 10% ABV. This is like drinking christmas dessert... A bit of a departure from the rest of the Ommegang lineup which seem to stick to more traditional belgian styles..but a nice ale that I would surely enjoy even more in December.
Cool...I'm a big Ommegang fan, I'll keep my eye out.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » October 15th, 2009, 6:47 pm

ATTN Lavabe

I have seen no Schlafly Wheach. But, City Grocery (or whatever they've rebranded themselves as since the Downtown Schnucks opened) has an O'Fallon Wheach. Are you interested in this?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 15th, 2009, 10:08 pm

throatybeard wrote:ATTN Lavabe

I have seen no Schlafly Wheach. But, City Grocery (or whatever they've rebranded themselves as since the Downtown Schnucks opened) has an O'Fallon Wheach. Are you interested in this?
Schlafly doesn't make a wheach... at least not that I'm aware of. It's only OFallon that does. Arkie is holding onto a pack for me. It would be great if you could hold onto one as well. Will try to get there in November.

MANY THANKS. Will zap you a note on FB.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Founder's Imperial Stout-I must give credit for this selection to bluebear or rmd. Had my first one last evening. Delicious. A slightly oily, viscous pour nearly black in color with a modest tan head. I am shocked at the IBU of 90 as I thought the heavy doses of chocolate, caramel and probably black malts were the winners here giving this luscious ale tastes of expresso, semi-sweet chocolate and molasses. There is a bit of bitterness/roastiness in the finish. Clearly a dessert brew by itself or with any chocolate cake/pastry/candy. Out of a 4 pack, I wouldn't hesitate using 1/2 a bottle for a beer float either with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. I still like the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout a bit better as I think the chocolate flavor is more dominant than any coffee tastes, plus it's a sentimental favorite as it is the 1st taster I ever had at any beer fest I have ever attended. Oh, and the ABV is 10.5% and it tastes a bit whiskey-ish, too, so be careful. ;) :D

Hint to CB&B and 8-x : Coming soon to a trader near you. ;) :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 16th, 2009, 3:40 pm

devildeac wrote:Founder's Imperial Stout-I must give credit for this selection to bluebear or rmd. Had my first one last evening. Delicious. A slightly oily, viscous pour nearly black in color with a modest tan head. I am shocked at the IBU of 90 as I thought the heavy doses of chocolate, caramel and probably black malts were the winners here giving this luscious ale tastes of expresso, semi-sweet chocolate and molasses. There is a bit of bitterness/roastiness in the finish. Clearly a dessert brew by itself or with any chocolate cake/pastry/candy. Out of a 4 pack, I wouldn't hesitate using 1/2 a bottle for a beer float either with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. I still like the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout a bit better as I think the chocolate flavor is more dominant than any coffee tastes, plus it's a sentimental favorite as it is the 1st taster I ever had at any beer fest I have ever attended. Oh, and the ABV is 10.5% and it tastes a bit whiskey-ish, too, so be careful. ;) :D

The Founders is a good stout..I have even managed to keep one cellared for a year now...I really want to try the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout though. I've been hunting for it for the past few weeks after hearing a new batch was out in stores...Given it snowed up here today, it's definitely a stout night...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2009, 6:46 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Founder's Imperial Stout-I must give credit for this selection to bluebear or rmd. Had my first one last evening. Delicious. A slightly oily, viscous pour nearly black in color with a modest tan head. I am shocked at the IBU of 90 as I thought the heavy doses of chocolate, caramel and probably black malts were the winners here giving this luscious ale tastes of expresso, semi-sweet chocolate and molasses. There is a bit of bitterness/roastiness in the finish. Clearly a dessert brew by itself or with any chocolate cake/pastry/candy. Out of a 4 pack, I wouldn't hesitate using 1/2 a bottle for a beer float either with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream. I still like the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout a bit better as I think the chocolate flavor is more dominant than any coffee tastes, plus it's a sentimental favorite as it is the 1st taster I ever had at any beer fest I have ever attended. Oh, and the ABV is 10.5% and it tastes a bit whiskey-ish, too, so be careful. ;) :D

The Founders is a good stout..I have even managed to keep one cellared for a year now...I really want to try the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout though. I've been hunting for it for the past few weeks after hearing a new batch was out in stores...Given it snowed up here today, it's definitely a stout night...
You are correct, good sir. It is about time for the BBCS to arrive on the shelves of our favorite stores. :D

I am on call this weekend so I will be :drool: at your reviews.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 16th, 2009, 7:07 pm

Went to brew supply shop tonight..bouhgt for two batches, now to decide which one first. I got stocked for and IPA and an oatmeal stout...I'm leaning towards the IPA since I have a porter fermenting. I bought a few ounces of oak chips for both, will be interesting to taste those results.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 16th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Also bought a bomber of North Coast's Pranqster, and a 4 pack of Founder's Cerise...I've tasted the cerise, very interesting. More to follow.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 16th, 2009, 9:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Also bought a bomber of North Coast's Pranqster, and a 4 pack of Founder's Cerise...I've tasted the cerise, very interesting. More to follow.
I've seen both but haven't tried either but I sure like most beers from North Coast and Founders..looking forward to the reviews
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2009, 10:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Also bought a bomber of North Coast's Pranqster, and a 4 pack of Founder's Cerise...I've tasted the cerise, very interesting. More to follow.
I have had the 12 ouncers of the Pranqster but never the bomber. Any different recipe?

Never seen the Cerise. Hmmm...
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 16th, 2009, 11:45 pm

I had a Hofbrau Premium Lager at the Hofbrau Newport. The restaurant is styled like the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. The beer was fine...I don't know enough about beer to give a proper review.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2009, 8:13 pm

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2009, 8:16 pm

One or two of these might be good this Saturday.

http://www.ccbeer.com/beerlist/Mutiny%2BFleet

Just sayin'... ;) :D :ar! :Pirate:
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 18th, 2009, 8:42 pm

devildeac wrote:One or two of these might be good this Saturday.

http://www.ccbeer.com/beerlist/Mutiny%2BFleet

Just sayin'... ;) :D :ar! :Pirate:
looking forward to that tripel coming out...
good week ahead for tasting..
Finally found some Great Divide Tripel..
And though my brother in law struck out on the westvleteren..he did manage to bring back from Belgium a few Westmalle trappist brews (and a nice goblet) along with a local tripel from Brugge..
Tonight though in honor of even more snow flying, I'm having one of several bottles of 2006 GD Hibernation that I purchased over the weekend...excited to see what a little age does to this one...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2009, 10:58 pm

I gotta get these reviews done or I'll forget what I have sampled :roll: .

Holy Mackeral Special Golden Ale-Gordash Brewing Company/Florida Beer Company-Melbourne, Florida. This is a pretty good representation of the style of a Belgian golden ale and is slightly cloudy and a bit tangy with probably orange peel and/or coriander added to the brew. The bitterness is slight and I'd guess an IBU of 30-40 and the ABV is 8.5% so it could be one and done with this ale. Matches nicely with fruit salad or lighter grilled fare. I think this would be great with a pineapple/mango salsa and grouper or snapper. I would have never bought a micro from Florida but the Mack in Black I tasted at a prior Brunchgate tempted me to buy this and I am glad I did. Three of these will appear in the various 6ers I am bringing as traders.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2009, 4:50 pm

Second in a series, but NOT consumed on the same night:

Harpoon Leviathan-Not to be confused with your standard Harpoon ales. This one is a monster. An IIPA with a huge hop presence. The IBU is listed at 122! It tastes it, too with a buncha different hops which explode into flavors of pine, flowers and grapefruit. Massive amounts of malts balance this brew with some caramel sweetness and an ABV of 9.3%. This beverage would match nicely with spicy/hot dishes. Hey, CB&B and 8-x , whaddaya think? ;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2009, 5:02 pm

devildeac wrote:The IBU is listed at 122!
O:-) :poo: :report:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2009, 5:10 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:The IBU is listed at 122!
O:-) :poo: :report:
If you can find a bomber of the Hoppin" Frog Mean Manalishi IIPA, check out the IBU on that one. ;)

Here's my review from a couple weeks?/months? ago: Mean Manalishi Double IPA-Hoppin' Frog-Akron , Ohio.

This is the "anniversary beer" I mentioned yesterday and finished tonight. This is one mean brew. Almost amber and slightly cloudy pour with mostly piney/sprucey notes with a hint a overripe grapefruity rind but really very little fruitiness. At 168 IBU, this is by far the hoppiest ale I have ever had. By comparison, Old Crustacean and 120 Minute IPA weigh in at a "mere" 120 IBU and those 2 bad boys are taste-bud destruction beverages, but really good in their own ways/categories. There is a nice amount of toastiness and malt balance in this ale and, in some ways, it reminds me of Bigfoot and Hop Devil, a barleywine and IPA, respectively. This brew is not for the faint of tongue or the thin of wallet at $10-11 for the bomber :(( . The ABV is "only" 8.2%. I sensed it to be somewhat higher, perhaps in the 9-10% range. It feels that way after 11 ounces tonight and last PM. This would match nicely with spicy dishes but would not be a dessert brew. If Total Wine has any left, CB&B may get to sample some of this at a Brunchgate and rmd get one this winter on a devildeac marital ski retreat. :D