Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by OPK » June 21st, 2022, 12:06 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 11:51 am
dudog wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 11:20 am
OPK wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 10:35 am
Trump’s best play is to hug up to Eastman, say he was a trusted legal source, and that he reasonably relied on Eastman. If Eastman gave bad advice, that’s on him but I did not knowingly break the law. I listened to my lawyer.

It’s his best argument to defeat the mens rea element of the criminal statutes.
I believe it's already out there that Eastman told Trump the scheme was illegal and wouldn't pass the Supreme Court.
According to the lawyer from the last hearing (he worked with Pence), Eastman did acknowledge that, but it was in a conversation between the guy testifying and Eastman, not Eastman and Trump. So OPk's defense strategy would still hold.
This was my impression as well, but I have not seen all of the testimony.

They could indict both Eastman and Trump together under a conspiracy theory, and see who rolls on who.
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » June 21st, 2022, 12:20 pm

OPK wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 12:06 pm
dudog wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 11:20 am

I believe it's already out there that Eastman told Trump the scheme was illegal and wouldn't pass the Supreme Court.
According to the lawyer from the last hearing (he worked with Pence), Eastman did acknowledge that, but it was in a conversation between the guy testifying and Eastman, not Eastman and Trump. So OPk's defense strategy would still hold.

They could indict both Eastman and Trump together under a conspiracy theory, and see who rolls on who.
The guy testified Eastman said this in front of Trump.

https://time.com/6188491/john-eastman-j ... ony-trump/

Edit: This is not hearsay as I understand it, he was present.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » June 21st, 2022, 1:11 pm

dudog wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 12:20 pm
OPK wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 12:06 pm

The guy testified Eastman said this in front of Trump.

https://time.com/6188491/john-eastman-j ... ony-trump/

Edit: This is not hearsay as I understand it, he was present.
Thanks!

You are also correct, a witness recounting a conversation he observed between the two would not be hearsay if tendered to show knowledge or planning.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » June 21st, 2022, 4:55 pm

June 21st, 2022, 9:42 am
Former President Donald Trump sees no reason to defend conservative attorney John Eastman, Rolling Stone reported.

The decision the outlet relayed came in light of the heavy scrutiny of Eastman in the Congressional Jan. 6 committee hearings, which detailed his role helping Trump try to overturn the 2020 election.

-------------------------------------------------------

Per Rolling Stone, Trump has taken to saying he "hardly" or "barely" knows Eastman, despite evidence that Trump contacted him for legal advice.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ready- ... 09413.html

=)) =)) =))
Personally, I think this is great news. Eastman has already heavily taken the fifth. If he rolls on Trump, Garland's job gets a lot easier.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 21st, 2022, 8:54 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 4:55 pm
June 21st, 2022, 9:42 am
Former President Donald Trump sees no reason to defend conservative attorney John Eastman, Rolling Stone reported.

The decision the outlet relayed came in light of the heavy scrutiny of Eastman in the Congressional Jan. 6 committee hearings, which detailed his role helping Trump try to overturn the 2020 election.

-------------------------------------------------------

Per Rolling Stone, Trump has taken to saying he "hardly" or "barely" knows Eastman, despite evidence that Trump contacted him for legal advice.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-ready- ... 09413.html

=)) =)) =))
Personally, I think this is great news. Eastman has already heavily taken the fifth. If he rolls on Trump, Garland's job gets a lot easier.
Not that this is surprising, but it really demonstrate how power hungry people are in that they continue to associate with Trump. It has become increasingly clear that nothing good comes of it. He has no loyalty to anyone and ends up throwing them under the bus and/or stiffing them on what he owes them. I guess they think that it is worth it or that they are smarter than all of the prior people.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 22nd, 2022, 8:24 am

I don't understand how any decent person can watch that hearing yesterday and see the suffering and danger Trump has unleashed on these simple American citizens from Arizona to Georgia (and every battleground state) and not be outraged.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 22nd, 2022, 8:56 am

dudog wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 8:24 am
I don't understand how any decent person can watch that hearing yesterday and see the suffering and danger Trump has unleashed on these simple American citizens from Arizona to Georgia (and every battleground state) and not be outraged.
The testimony from Shaye Moss and her mother was pretty potent. Knowing that Trump was watching, I was wondering what was going through his head as he sat in front of his TV.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » June 22nd, 2022, 10:29 am

June 22nd, 2022, 8:56 am
dudog wrote:
The testimony from Shaye Moss and her mother was pretty potent. Knowing that Trump was watching, I was wondering what was going through his head as he sat in front of his TV.
It was the most emotionally potent, but the least threatening to Trump and his goons. I really want to see stuff that is going to get Trump stuck behind bars, where he belongs. The thought that he could actually get re-elected just revolts me (and may seriously result in me and my family leaving the country completely).
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 22nd, 2022, 12:23 pm

dudog wrote:
Nothing is going through his head. And that is the problem. The man has no morals, no compassion. Everything is transactional for him. For some reason his family generally stands by him (not clear about Tiffany). And it stands as such a sharp contrast to Biden, who seems like a legitimately good, caring human being. I think they tried to really play that up throughout the campaign. As I've stated before, unfortunately there are a lot of Americans who prefer someone like Trump as they find people like Biden to be "weak."

I sometimes wonder who I would vote for if there was a morally bankrupt candidate like Trump but my political beliefs perfectly aligned with them, and they were going against someone who seemed like an incredible human being but stood for the opposite positions as me. I like to think that most of my positions are ones that align with a more compassionate person so this is incredibly unlikely to happen, but you never know.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 22nd, 2022, 12:33 pm

dudog wrote:
"I think I'd like a cheeseburger for dinner"
OPK

Post by OPK » June 22nd, 2022, 1:11 pm

dudog wrote:
I’m gonna go ahead and just guess that he was angry at someone. Probably Kevin McCarthy for not having anyone on the dais to defend him.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 22nd, 2022, 1:32 pm

OPK wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 1:11 pm

I’m gonna go ahead and just guess that he was angry at someone. Probably Kevin McCarthy for not having anyone on the dais to defend him.
Trump is certainly regretting the decision for the GOP to skip out on being represented on the committee now (he's yelled about it), and it's likely he's not alone. They were so adamant about not being a part of "the witch hunt", and it's solidly biting them in the butt.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 22nd, 2022, 5:15 pm

June 22nd, 2022, 1:32 pm
OPK wrote:

Trump is certainly regretting the decision for the GOP to skip out on being represented on the committee now (he's yelled about it), and it's likely he's not alone. They were so adamant about not being a part of "the witch hunt", and it's solidly biting them in the butt.
Yup.KM said he would not appoint anyone, so Pelosi appointed two Rs she thought would take it seriously.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 22nd, 2022, 5:56 pm

OPK wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 5:15 pm
June 22nd, 2022, 1:32 pm
OPK wrote:

Yup.KM said he would not appoint anyone, so Pelosi appointed two Rs she thought would take it seriously.
I'm not missing the theatrics of the Jim Jordans that would be in those seats.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 22nd, 2022, 6:31 pm

So what do you want in 2024, Trump or Baby Trump?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL

The full article in The New Yorker is pretty long, but I have to include this quote (from one of his college teammates) about DeSantis:

“He has always loved embarrassing and humiliating people. I’m speaking for others—he was the biggest dick we knew.”

Sound familiar?
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 22nd, 2022, 6:46 pm

dudog wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 6:31 pm

The full article in The New Yorker is pretty long, but I have to include this quote (from one of his college teammates) about DeSantis:

“He has always loved embarrassing and humiliating people. I’m speaking for others—he was the biggest dick we knew.”

Sound familiar?
How about they dual it out, Hamilton/Burr style. Do it during prime time. The ratings would be HUGE.

As I said above, I don't understand the fascination people have with politicians who have no soul. I get that you don't want a total Mr. Nice Guy who will totally roll over for the other side. But contrary to popular opinion, the world is not black and white - someone can be a tough negotiator but also a warm, caring human being. DeSantis sounds a bit like stories I've heard about Stephen Miller, Duke's finest.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 22nd, 2022, 7:15 pm

dudog wrote:

Sound familiar?
I'll take Desantis in a heart beat if I have to choose. (I'll never have to choose since I won't vote for either of them.)
While Desantis might be an asshole, at least he's not insane.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 22nd, 2022, 8:51 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 6:46 pm
dudog wrote:

Sound familiar?
How about they dual it out, Hamilton/Burr style. Do it during prime time. The ratings would be HUGE.

As I said above, I don't understand the fascination people have with politicians who have no soul. I get that you don't want a total Mr. Nice Guy who will totally roll over for the other side. But contrary to popular opinion, the world is not black and white - someone can be a tough negotiator but also a warm, caring human being. DeSantis sounds a bit like stories I've heard about Stephen Miller, Duke's finest.
“Owning the Libs” is a goal in and of itself for a large group of people.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 22nd, 2022, 8:57 pm

June 22nd, 2022, 7:15 pm
dudog wrote:

Sound familiar?
I'll take Desantis in a heart beat if I have to choose. (I'll never have to choose since I won't vote for either of them.)
While Desantis might be an asshole, at least he's not insane.
I'm not so sure. DeSantis' danger is in that he's not insane. He's one of the coldest people I've ever seen.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 22nd, 2022, 9:02 pm

OPK wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 8:51 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 22nd, 2022, 6:46 pm
dudog wrote:

Sound familiar?

“Owning the Libs” is a goal in and of itself for a large group of people.
Yup. It is a big game to them, and it is all about "winning." So many of these ridiculous policies coming out of deep red states are largely just to stick it to the libs. Many of them aren't "for" anything, they are just "against" the libs. Back in the days candidates were all about finding ways to raise all ships. Now it is just what they will do for their most vocal constituents, and to heck with the other guys.

USA! USA!