Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 4th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Sam Adams Honey Porter
Ooooh, this is good. I've seen it plenty of times, but never had it, I finally picked one up. The honey is very distinct and is a wonderful complement to the roasted dark malts and the bitterness of the hops. Speaking of hops, there are plenty in there. No distinct coffee or chocolate flavors, but the dark malts add plenty of taste, and create a lovely deep brown color, topped by a nice tan, full head. I'm guessing there is nice amount of black patent in the brew. The honey makes the beer though, I wish I had tried this one before. Highly recommended.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 4th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Biere Du Boucanier Dark Brewery Van Steenberge Refermented in the bottle & Keg: living beer.
Belgian Dark Triple Ale 9% Alc. by Vol.The DARK is a triple in strength. It is the sweetest of the three Bieres du Boucanier, caramelized and malty. The creamy strong head is striking. A great dessert beer.

ICOBES BVBA, the company based in Evergem - Belgium, is the brand owner of Biere du Boucanier. This company launched the brand in the early 1980's, and is responsible for marketing world-wide.

Originally made for the North Italian market, Biere du Boucanier is sold world wide since 1998. Australia, Japan and many European countries have been blessed with this fabulous beer before the USA

The new BIERE DU BOUCANIER gift pack, or sampler six pack, holds 2 bottles each of three flavors of this fabulous ale. Three? Indeed, two new flavors are introduced in the USA for the first time, and are at this point only available in the sampler pack.

The theme of the brand, buccaneers in the Caribbean, is elaborated on the posters and other point of sale, available on our web site. The buccaneers were in fact the terrorists of their era (18th century), although their only motivation was money, booze and pleasure. They knew their life was extremely short, and they refused to do the dull and dangerous work for (almost) no pay on the merchant ships. Instead they created amongst themselves a kind of equalized society where the loot was shared, and the pleasures maximized. Merchant ships, before they were better armed, were an easy prey since they had a crew of about 15 people, while a buccaneer could easily be manned with 90 people. Surprise, cunning seamanship, and absolute cruelty were their trademarks.

Biere du Boucanier Golden is brewed by Br. Van Steenberge since many years for the North Italian market, which is by the way one of the fastest growing beer markets for German and Belgian beers. It is expected that Italy will become a beer-country in the next few years. France is expected to become a beer country this year, since for the first time more beer will be consumed in France than wine. Biere du Boucanier is now sold all over the world, and the introduction of the two new flavors will build the continuing success of the brand.

Here's the description again. I'll try a review.

A wonderful beverage for a dessert or with a hearty meal, even a breakfast meal :D . 8-x shared this with CB&B and me and I have a 750 ml bottle at home now that I traded for at Tillygate and this will now be cellared for a year or two. A dark brown pour with a moderately fizzy, tan head. Nice Belgian lace. The flavors are complex and outstanding with dark brown sugar, a bit of molasses and dark fruits like raisins, dates and figs sharing the palate. This made a nice combination with the various meats and breads served yesterday AM, though we drank it out of plastic cups :oops: . This would be fine out of a wide-mouthed goblet, as is typical for Belgian ales. This would also be fabulous with hard cheeses and/or fruits for dessert. Chocolates would pair nicely, too. Sipping it as an after dinner drink or for dessert by itself would also be fine. The hops balance nicely and the IBU are probably 30-40 but the ABV is high octane at 11% and the booziness is disguised but not very well which would be about my only minor complaint about this otherwise outstanding discovery by 8-x . Many, many thanks for sharing this yesterday with us and as a trader last month.

^:)^ ^:)^ :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 4th, 2009, 5:38 pm

devildeac wrote:...The buccaneers were in fact the terrorists of their era (18th century), although their only motivation was money, booze and pleasure. They knew their life was extremely short, and they refused to do the dull and dangerous work for (almost) no pay on the merchant ships. Instead they created amongst themselves a kind of equalized society where the loot was shared, and the pleasures maximized. Merchant ships, before they were better armed, were an easy prey since they had a crew of about 15 people, while a buccaneer could easily be manned with 90 people. Surprise, cunning seamanship, and absolute cruelty were their trademarks.

:D
Well, duh. I coulda told you that... ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 4th, 2009, 9:30 pm

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:...The buccaneers were in fact the terrorists of their era (18th century), although their only motivation was money, booze and pleasure. They knew their life was extremely short, and they refused to do the dull and dangerous work for (almost) no pay on the merchant ships. Instead they created amongst themselves a kind of equalized society where the loot was shared, and the pleasures maximized. Merchant ships, before they were better armed, were an easy prey since they had a crew of about 15 people, while a buccaneer could easily be manned with 90 people. Surprise, cunning seamanship, and absolute cruelty were their trademarks.

Yea, but it's all about the beer... :ar!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 4th, 2009, 9:44 pm

devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:

I desire a Buccaneer Beer t-shirt.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 4th, 2009, 9:54 pm

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:Well, duh. I coulda told you that... ;)
I desire a Buccaneer Beer t-shirt.
What Brunchgate will you be attending?

Just posting out loud here...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 4th, 2009, 10:03 pm

devildeac wrote: What Brunchgate will you be attending?

I'm now official for Oct. 24 vs. Maryland. Also still planning on Nov. 28 vs. Wake.
Will be putting together an Atlanta beer (read: Sweetwater) order on here before I come up.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 4th, 2009, 11:41 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: I think he liked this brew, as I did.
To his credit, despite all of our ribbing, Ozzie is always brave enough to try new beers. :ymapplause:
Thanks. I liked it just fine. Reminded me of Killians Red, which I've always liked.

DD, now that you've reviewed them, and remembered their names without me telling them to you again, can I throw out the empty bottles I saved just for that purpose? :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2009, 6:04 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote: I think he liked this brew, as I did.
To his credit, despite all of our ribbing, Ozzie is always brave enough to try new beers. :ymapplause:
Thanks. I liked it just fine. Reminded me of Killians Red, which I've always liked.

DD, now that you've reviewed them, and remembered their names without me telling them to you again, can I throw out the empty bottles I saved just for that purpose? :D
Throw out?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Recycle. ;) :D

Thanks for remembering. I actually remembered the name of the brewery and went to their web site so I could recall which 2 I sampled.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2009, 1:00 pm

I found this to be interesting reading:
http://www.holymackerelbeers.com/Common/history.html

Now for the review.

Holy Mackeral Mack in Black Imperial Black Ale-Melbourne, Florida OR Greenville, S.C. A surprise from CB&B which I had seen on shelves and thought, "a hand-crafted ale from Florida? Yea, right." Darn glad I poured myself a few ounces of this before a couple folks snapped up the 2 bottles brought on Saturday. An oily/viscous black ale with several tastes, including dark/bittersweet chocolate, a hint of coffee and a pleasant, but not overpowering, sweetness and fruitiness imparted by the pomegranate in the brewing process. The bitterness is rather mild but it does have a roasty taste, too. I'd guess the IBU in the 30-40 range and the ABV was 8%. This was a nice combination with a predominantly berry salad that was brought. This would also be enjoyable with some dark cherries and/or plums for dessert, or, by itself from a snifter. Maybe even a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be nice...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 5th, 2009, 1:38 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:can I throw out the empty bottles I saved just for that purpose? :D
Throw out?

We haven't had to recycle glass, plastic or newspaper for years. The county lost too much money on the program. Of course, now we need to not throw out all our plastic containers whose neck is smaller than the body. Stupid law. You can't recycle detergent (and similar) containers - there is no market for them. Beverage containers I can see - PET can be made into new bottles, but not the other containers.

The bottles will be in my trash can if anyone wants to come get them. Trash gets picked up Thursday morning.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2009, 3:25 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:can I throw out the empty bottles I saved just for that purpose? :D
Throw out?

The bottles will be in my trash can if anyone wants to come get them. Trash gets picked up Thursday morning.
I believe I'll pass :roll: . We try to recycle darn near everything including bottles, cans, plastics, cardboard and all different kinds of papers. We end up with very little in our giant green trash cans every Wednesday for trash/garbage/yard waste/recycle day. During the drought (not draught) a couple years ago, they were even trying to get us to use rain barrels and recycle rain water. I recycle my old jokes here. :roll:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2009, 3:33 pm

wilson wrote:

I'm now official for Oct. 24 vs. Maryland. Also still planning on Nov. 28 vs. Wake.
Will be putting together an Atlanta beer (read: Sweetwater) order on here before I come up.
I'll put something here later this week or PM you re: the Sweetwater brews, several of which are available here at Total Wine and Whole Foods. That also reminds me of the EJ/Sweetwater story from just about a year ago that I alluded to previously that I will reveal to you on your 10/24 visit ;) :D .
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 5th, 2009, 8:32 pm

wilson wrote:

Very Cool! I will finally get to meet the :ar! :Pirate: :-bd
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 6th, 2009, 11:26 pm

I lied. I told CB&B I'd review this tomorrow but I just couldn't wait.

Here's the brewery info: http://www.flyingdogales.com/Beer-Specialty-Gonzo.aspx

Here's my layman's review. I gotta admit that I started out my with my impression of the Flying Dog brews to be less than stellar. I am gradually changing my mind. This is a really fine porter, imperial style. Or, as they probably call it "doggie style." This is almost black and almost completely opaque, much like a stout would be. Lots of chocolate malts and black malts with a surprising amount of bitterness from a fine hop balance. I am still surprised the IBU is that high at 85. Roasty with dark chocolate, licorice and black molasses flavors. A wonderful fall/winter evening beer and a good candidate to be used for part of a beer float with a scoop of vanilla or even coffee ice cream. I'd consider drizzling some caramel sauce into/over the final product. This is a fine dessert beer by itself and could easily be enjoyed with some turtle brownies or CCC. A trader from CB&B. Brunchgates sure are fun. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 6th, 2009, 11:32 pm

devildeac wrote:I am gradually changing my mind.
I believe they are turning into a brewery that should be paid attention to. I think they have gotten better, maybe because they have more finances due to growth. Plus they have Ralph Steadman illustrating their beer. A Steadman drawing adds flavor to anything.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 6th, 2009, 11:36 pm

devildeac wrote:I am gradually changing my mind.
I believe they are turning into a brewery that should be paid attention to. I think they have gotten better, maybe because they have more finances due to growth. Plus they have Ralph Steadman illustrating their beer. A Steadman drawing adds flavor to anything.
I like their slogans, too.

"Good people drink good beer."

"Good beer. No shit."

I wondered if you'd appreciate the drawings on their bottles. ;) :D
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » October 7th, 2009, 7:53 am

devildeac wrote:I lied. I told CB&B I'd review this tomorrow but I just couldn't wait.

Here's my layman's review. I gotta admit that I started out my with my impression of the Flying Dog brews to be less than stellar. I am gradually changing my mind. This is a really fine porter, imperial style. Or, as they probably call it "doggie style." This is almost black and almost completely opaque, much like a stout would be. Lots of chocolate malts and black malts with a surprising amount of bitterness from a fine hop balance. I am still surprised the IBU is that high at 85. Roasty with dark chocolate, licorice and black molasses flavors. A wonderful fall/winter evening beer and a good candidate to be used for part of a beer float with a scoop of vanilla or even coffee ice cream. I'd consider drizzling some caramel sauce into/over the final product. This is a fine dessert beer by itself and could easily be enjoyed with some turtle brownies or CCC. A trader from CB&B. Brunchgates sure are fun. :D
I had one of these a few weeks back and thought it was excellent. Almost heavy and complex enough to be an imperial stout though a bit lower ABV...great review
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 7th, 2009, 8:02 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:I lied. I told CB&B I'd review this tomorrow but I just couldn't wait.

I had one of these a few weeks back and thought it was excellent. Almost heavy and complex enough to be an imperial stout though a bit lower ABV...great review
Thank you.

I forgot to include the following in my review, now that I think about it. The Gonzo Imperial Porter had a "Vintage 07" on it. That is/was purely by chance as CB&B just found it last week, I think. I'm sure that added to the smoothness and complexity of the brew. I also traded for a Horn Dog Barleywine and that has a "Vintage 09" on it. I'm not sure whether to consume it this week and look for another to cellar for a year or two or to just stick this into the aging case and forget about it for a year or two. Hmm...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 7th, 2009, 9:56 am

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:

Thank you.

I forgot to include the following in my review, now that I think about it. The Gonzo Imperial Porter had a "Vintage 07" on it. That is/was purely by chance as CB&B just found it last week, I think. I'm sure that added to the smoothness and complexity of the brew. I also traded for a Horn Dog Barleywine and that has a "Vintage 09" on it. I'm not sure whether to consume it this week and look for another to cellar for a year or two or to just stick this into the aging case and forget about it for a year or two. Hmm...
I also tried the Horn Dog (part of the same haul) and did not like it quite as much. It was an 09 though and I imagine it would improve nicely with a little age..Given your impressive level of patience, I'd stash it away...