Milestones

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Milestones

Post by wilson » February 20th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Rolvix wrote:The capture of Port Royal?

I just read a pretty good book called Pirate Latitudes (Michael Crichton) about Port Royal when we were in the Virgin Islands! It was fiction, of course, but interesting nonetheless.
It wasn't called Port Royal then, but yes. You're quite warm.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » February 20th, 2010, 11:26 pm

wilson wrote:

I just read a pretty good book called Pirate Latitudes (Michael Crichton) about Port Royal when we were in the Virgin Islands! It was fiction, of course, but interesting nonetheless.
It wasn't called Port Royal then, but yes. You're quite warm.
I forgot what it was called...
Last edited by Rolvix on February 20th, 2010, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 20th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Rolvix wrote:
wilson wrote:It wasn't called Port Royal then, but yes. You're quite warm.
I forgot what is was called...
Looks like you've got some homework, then.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » February 20th, 2010, 11:30 pm

wilson wrote:
Rolvix wrote:
wilson wrote:It wasn't called Port Royal then, but yes. You're quite warm.
I forgot what is was called...
Looks like you've got some homework, then.
It*

I think the book just referred to is as Port Royal.

I'll have to check that out!
Class of 2014
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 21st, 2010, 10:07 am

The golf course/housing development on Hilton Head, SC? I've never played that course. Maybe this year!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 21st, 2010, 1:43 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
The golf course/housing development on Hilton Head, SC? I've never played that course. Maybe this year!
Port Royal, SC was actually founded before Charleston. Situated in the present-day Beaufort vicinity (hence the name of the development on nearby Hilton Head), it fizzled after friendly natives advised the English settlers to move their settlement north, away from, ahem, less-friendly natives. This native counsel, coupled with pressure from a well-connected faction who had already settled further north, along the shores of Goose Creek (about 4 miles due north of where Charleston AFB/Airport now stands) induced the Port Royal faction to relocate to a point then known as Albemarle Point (also Oyster Point), on the west bank of the Ashley River. They called this place Charles Town.
The Port Royal Rolvx mentioned was once at the eastern end of Jamaica. When the English, under Captain Henry Morgan (yes, that Captain Morgan) took the island of Jamaica from the Spanish in 1655, Port Royal was but a speck on the map. Lying close to the exit route from the "Spanish Main" (roughly speaking, the southern Caribbean, along the shores of South and Central America) to the Atlantic, it quickly gained stature as a base for privateering activities against Spanish shipping. It quickly gained a reputation as a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It was the center of Caribbean, and perhaps world, privateering/piracy for several decades in the late 17th century. Cheap, if dubiously-acquired, goods pacified the locals, and the proceeds from this commerce, coupled with the defensive purpose served by a corsair squadron, kept English officials happy. More than a few people recognized a measure of divine retribution in the 1692 earthquake that destroyed the city, literally sending it tumbling into the sea. Today, Port Royal, Jamaica is the site of ongoing archaeological excavations headed by researchers from the department of nautical archaeology at Texas A&M University (predecessor of my alma mater program in Maritime Studies at East Carolina).

Man, y'all really walked into my wheelhouse there. Thanks. :D :AR! :-B
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 21st, 2010, 3:19 pm

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
The golf course/housing development on Hilton Head, SC?
Always glad to oblige my favorite pirate! :Pirate: :Pirate: :Pirate: :AR! :AR! :AR!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 21st, 2010, 3:29 pm

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Port Royal, SC was actually founded before Charleston. Situated in the present-day Beaufort vicinity (hence the name of the development on nearby Hilton Head), it fizzled after friendly natives advised the English settlers to move their settlement north, away from, ahem, less-friendly natives. This native counsel, coupled with pressure from a well-connected faction who had already settled further north, along the shores of Goose Creek (about 4 miles due north of where Charleston AFB/Airport now stands) induced the Port Royal faction to relocate to a point then known as Albemarle Point (also Oyster Point), on the west bank of the Ashley River. They called this place Charles Town.
The Port Royal Rolvx mentioned was once at the eastern end of Jamaica. When the English, under Captain Henry Morgan (yes, that Captain Morgan) took the island of Jamaica from the Spanish in 1655, Port Royal was but a speck on the map. Lying close to the exit route from the "Spanish Main" (roughly speaking, the southern Caribbean, along the shores of South and Central America) to the Atlantic, it quickly gained stature as a base for privateering activities against Spanish shipping. It quickly gained a reputation as a wretched hive of scum and villainy. It was the center of Caribbean, and perhaps world, privateering/piracy for several decades in the late 17th century. Cheap, if dubiously-acquired, goods pacified the locals, and the proceeds from this commerce, coupled with the defensive purpose served by a corsair squadron, kept English officials happy. More than a few people recognized a measure of divine retribution in the 1692 earthquake that destroyed the city, literally sending it tumbling into the sea. Today, Port Royal, Jamaica is the site of ongoing archaeological excavations headed by researchers from the department of nautical archaeology at Texas A&M University (predecessor of my alma mater program in Maritime Studies at East Carolina).

I like Captain Morgan. He's a cool guy!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 21st, 2010, 4:29 pm

Should be real easy to achieve 55K for entire board real soon. We have about 50 to go.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 21st, 2010, 4:30 pm

devildeac wrote:Should be real easy to achieve 55K for entire board real soon. We have about 50 to go.
50 to be exact after the entry of this post.

I still enjoy quoting myself... :ymblushing:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 8:01 pm

wilson wrote:Port Royal, SC was actually founded before Charleston. Situated in the present-day Beaufort vicinity (hence the name of the development on nearby Hilton Head), it fizzled after friendly natives advised the English settlers to move their settlement north, away from, ahem, less-friendly natives. This native counsel, coupled with pressure from a well-connected faction who had already settled further north, along the shores of Goose Creek (about 4 miles due north of where Charleston AFB/Airport now stands) induced the Port Royal faction to relocate to a point then known as Albemarle Point (also Oyster Point), on the west bank of the Ashley River. They called this place Charles Town.

Man you are a history geek aren't you?

Just kidding, since I know you composed that post off the top of your head, it is nice to see as it reminds me that there is at least one other person here who shares my addiction/affliction and can rhyme off historical information without a moment's hesitation. Someone once did that on DBR (or maybe it was over on BTD) when asking about counterinsurgency doctrine and I was able to pop out a mini-history of British COIN off the top of my head.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » February 22nd, 2010, 8:50 pm

Alright, I am clearly not responsible enough to keep track of my own milestone posts so I shouldn't be allowed to play in this thread.

As Wilson pointed out, I missed great opportunities for post numbers 1991, 1992, and 2001. To add to that, I had been planning to make reference to the rush album 2112 when I made my 2112th post (I'd been thinking of that almost from the point at which Wilson started this thread). I realized earlier today that I was close to my 2112th post but then completely forgot about it and blew right past it without mentioning it.

I clearly am not responsible enough to play in this thread.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2010, 7:14 pm

ImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2010, 7:17 pm

wilson wrote:3322
ImageImage
That's awesome!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2010, 7:25 pm

ImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2010, 7:33 pm

Arkansas had some interesting cheerleader uniforms.
And we lost that game. :ymtongue: However...it was amazing we were in it to begin with. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2010, 7:34 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Arkansas had some interesting cheerleader uniforms.
And we lost that game. :ymtongue:
Good grief...quite a choice, indeed. :-o :ymsick:
And yes, I know about the game. Good pic, though, and our losing certainly wasn't Grant's fault (Scotty Thurman, may you burn eternally).
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » March 2nd, 2010, 8:07 pm

ImageImage

Well played Sir, well played.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 2nd, 2010, 8:14 pm

ImageImage
Excellent!

Congratulations!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2010, 9:12 pm

ImageImage