Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Flying Dog Double Pale Ale-from their Double Dog series-Just about all the hops a palate can handle with a potent alcohol chaser. I am glad I looked at the label to find out this behemoth had 11.5% ABV and 85 IBU. I had this beer a couple years ago and do not remember the potency nor the IBU being this high. The malt is Light Crystal but there must be a ton of it and the hops are Columbus, Warrior and Cascade. I would have thought some Simcoe, too, as this is a grapefruity, lip-smacking palate buster. It does not make Beer Advocate's (or is it Beer Tudor's?) list of 100 most bitter beers but it is intense. It is an orange-amber and slightly cloudy with a small head. Lots of floral notes on the nose and on the tongue. A fine beverage with some slaw, a foot-long, all beef 1/4 pound frankfurter and some veggie hunks at a Brunchgate. Didja figger out this was another trader ;) :D ? A tip of the Cat in the Hat to CB&B again.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Kerberos Tripel-Flying Dog-As advertised, this is a fairly authentic brew for the style. Yellow-golden and slightly cloudy with hints of lemon-orange citrus. ABV of 8.5% and an IBU of 27 so little bitterness here with some mildly aromatic and floral hops and lighter malts. This would be tasty with fruit salad and light grilled entrees like chicken and seafood. It would be good as an after dinner beverage with a cheese plate. Guess what? You got it. Another trader brew from the Crystal Coast homebrew meister. Another :ymapplause: choice.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2009, 8:13 am

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis-Hey, what the heck, summer returned to Raleigh/Ralegh yesterday, the beer was cold, I had just mowed the lawn and I need another post :) :D . A good summary would be along wilson's thoughts of good but not outstanding. This is a summer wheat beer and it pours a cloudy/hazy pale yellow-orange and has lots of fizz. Very nice notes of lemon-orange zest and a very slight bite of the hops and a pucker from the yeast they suggest decanting into your glass. I'd guess the IBU are low and in the 20-30 range and the ABV is 4.8% so there was time, thirst and room to spare for a 2nd brew. :D A tip of the Blue Devil FB hat to CB&B again.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 29th, 2009, 10:50 am

I saw a commercial for Bud light with Wheat last night! Haven't tried it yet, but seems as though Bud light may be attempting to compete with the big boy import brews and micro brews. Hope they have themselves shielded from a bad outcome, if not, then life as Ozzie knows it could be over!!!!!! ;) :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2009, 12:19 pm

cl15876 wrote:I saw a commercial for Bud light with Wheat last night! Haven't tried it yet, but seems as though Bud light may be attempting to compete with the big boy import brews and micro brews. Hope they have themselves shielded from a bad outcome, if not, then life as Ozzie knows it could be over!!!!!! ;) :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :D
Their microbrew attempts have generally been pretty lame. After trying several over the last 2-3 years, I stopped buying any of them.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 29th, 2009, 1:02 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I saw a commercial for Bud light with Wheat last night! Haven't tried it yet, but seems as though Bud light may be attempting to compete with the big boy import brews and micro brews. Hope they have themselves shielded from a bad outcome, if not, then life as Ozzie knows it could be over!!!!!! ;) :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :D
Their microbrew attempts have generally been pretty lame. After trying several over the last 2-3 years, I stopped buying any of them.
Ditto to that. Michelob does a much better job on their craft beer tries. Some of them are actually worth buying.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Left Hand Brewing-Deep Cover Brown Ale-This one actually falls somewhere between "ymm" and "ycch" because I believe this is a bad beer based on the release date of about 7/08 (somewhat smudged) and not that it is a bad tasting beer. It was not skunky, did not foam out of the glass and did not taste of wet cardboard. It was however flat/had little to no head and simply tasted old and stale. Brown ales are typically ABV of 5-6% and are not bottle-conditioned so I think excess shelf life is the culprit. I expect good brews from this company based on past experience with Sawtooth Ale and JuJu Ginger so I'd certainly try this product again or another style when given the chance. I'll still salute CB&B for his choice but caution him to check the dates on the bottles when able. He and I had this discussion about the Winter Storm/Imperial ESB from the Heavy Seas series recently and that 6er, dated 3/09, appears to be fine, mainly because it is a bottle-conditioned brew and should have a longer shelf life and be suitable for "cellaring" for a year or more.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 29th, 2009, 6:03 pm

devildeac wrote:This is pretty typical and is the marzen style, which is traditional for Oktoberfest brews. Nice pairing with lighter grilled fare. I'd guess the IBU are 30-40 at most and the ABV would be about 5-6%. CB&B has one of these as a trader so I'll wait for his thoughts/tastes, too.
My thoughts are "eh". It's ok, but not nearly as good as Highland's other offerings. It is a lager, and I'm not a lager fan, but I've had several better. Also several worse..so this is a middle of the road brew for me. As for marzens..I'll give you two to check out..and one will surprise you.
The first is Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest. I had this last night, and wished I had reviewed it then. It is so unique that I struggled with a good description, and was drinking my next beer before I came up with anything to say. Spicy, malty, hopped lightly but well balanced, it is a high recommendation. I'm not sure if this was a DD trader, or if I picked it up at Total Wine. If it was from DD, thanks much! If it wasn't, I'll make sure to have one to trade this coming weekend.
#2 marzen, and the suprise. Michelob's marzen. For a session beer, it's a good one, it came in one of their sampler packs. That's how I tasted it before. Well spiced, but not overly, decent hops and flavorful malts. I haven't had it this year, and it's not in the fall sampler, so it must be in the winter one. (Makes sense, I used to buy the winter samplers for the glasses they included, but they don't do that anymore.)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 29th, 2009, 6:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:This is pretty typical and is the marzen style, which is traditional for Oktoberfest brews. Nice pairing with lighter grilled fare. I'd guess the IBU are 30-40 at most and the ABV would be about 5-6%. CB&B has one of these as a trader so I'll wait for his thoughts/tastes, too.
My thoughts are "eh". It's ok, but not nearly as good as Highland's other offerings. It is a lager, and I'm not a lager fan, but I've had several better. Also several worse..so this is a middle of the road brew for me. As for marzens..I'll give you two to check out..and one will surprise you.
The first is Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest. I had this last night, and wished I had reviewed it then. It is so unique that I struggled with a good description, and was drinking my next beer before I came up with anything to say. Spicy, malty, hopped lightly but well balanced, it is a high recommendation. I'm not sure if this was a DD trader, or if I picked it up at Total Wine. If it was from DD, thanks much! If it wasn't, I'll make sure to have one to trade this coming weekend.
#2 marzen, and the suprise. Michelob's marzen. For a session beer, it's a good one, it came in one of their sampler packs. That's how I tasted it before. Well spiced, but not overly, decent hops and flavorful malts. I haven't had it this year, and it's not in the fall sampler, so it must be in the winter one. (Makes sense, I used to buy the winter samplers for the glasses they included, but they don't do that anymore.)
1. You are welcome. It was a trader. :D
2. That is a surprise.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 30th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Ever seen a 6 pack of high life and noticed the slogan "champagne of beers"? Champagne of yellow water maybe...it's not even good out of a keg. But there does have to be a "Champagne of Beers", and TNTdevil has found at least a brew in the running.
I had one last tailgate, and was lucky enough to bring one home. I loved it when I had it at the 'gate, and actually had memories of the same at a game last year, which means that Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse is worth remembering. It's a hefe, but it's brewed with respect to a belgian ale. Very similar in taste, the cloudiness is an early give away, but in a blind taste test I would fight with my buds for a bit to pin it down as a wheat. I don't think it's a champagne yeast, but there are similar qualties to the body and flavor. Nice golden color, great white head with lots of retention...tons of flavor. The flavor is what betrays belgian roots, and the aroma complements those thoughts well. Very smooth, low bitterness. Well bodied, it's not a session beer unless you have a designated driver.
Hats off to TNTdevil, this was thoroughly enjoyed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2009, 10:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Ever seen a 6 pack of high life and noticed the slogan "champagne of beers"? Champagne of yellow water maybe...it's not even good out of a keg. But there does have to be a "Champagne of Beers", and TNTdevil has found at least a brew in the running.
I had one last tailgate, and was lucky enough to bring one home. I loved it when I had it at the 'gate, and actually had memories of the same at a game last year, which means that Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse is worth remembering. It's a hefe, but it's brewed with respect to a belgian ale. Very similar in taste, the cloudiness is an early give away, but in a blind taste test I would fight with my buds for a bit to pin it down as a wheat. I don't think it's a champagne yeast, but there are similar qualties to the body and flavor. Nice golden color, great white head with lots of retention...tons of flavor. The flavor is what betrays belgian roots, and the aroma complements those thoughts well. Very smooth, low bitterness. Well bodied, it's not a session beer unless you have a designated driver.
Hats off to TNTdevil, this was thoroughly enjoyed.
Hmmm, maybe I can work out a trade with TNTDevil this Saturday... ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Hoptober-New Belgium-Great name. Fine ale. A trader with CB&B. I refused to buy a 12 pack of this at Harris Teeter last week so I'm real glad I traded for this one. Five hops: Centennial, Cascade, Sterling, Willamette and Glacier. These make a nice blend of very mild grapefruit zest and floral aromas and tastes. Four malts: Pale, wheat, rye and oats. The pale is for the light golden color and slight breadiness, the wheat for a slight tang (but not cloudy), the rye and the oats (somewhat surprising) for smoothness. This is a wonderful session ale and reminds me a bit of a Belgian golden ale without the high ABV (6%). The IBU are 40. I'll have another this Saturday, if you read this CB&B, and would trade happily for it. ;) :D
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 1st, 2009, 9:05 am

devildeac wrote:Hoptober-New Belgium-Great name. Fine ale. A trader with CB&B. I refused to buy a 12 pack of this at Harris Teeter last week so I'm real glad I traded for this one. Five hops: Centennial, Cascade, Sterling, Willamette and Glacier. These make a nice blend of very mild grapefruit zest and floral aromas and tastes. Four malts: Pale, wheat, rye and oats. The pale is for the light golden color and slight breadiness, the wheat for a slight tang (but not cloudy), the rye and the oats (somewhat surprising) for smoothness. This is a wonderful session ale and reminds me a bit of a Belgian golden ale without the high ABV (6%). The IBU are 40. I'll have another this Saturday, if you read this CB&B, and would trade happily for it. ;) :D
I picked up a twelve pack for Kelly and I to celebrate the beginning of October. :D Looking forward to it!
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2009, 7:06 pm

Baltic Porter-Dominion Brewing- 8-x trader. A tasty start to fall and winter ales. This poured a dark brown with a large, foamy, creamy tan head. I worried about it being stale but the first sip convinced me otherwise. Just about everything I'd expect from a porter with dark chocolate, toffee, a hint of molasses and coffee aromas and flavors. Slight bitterness to the finish. IBU, oh, about 30-40. The ABV was 7%. A very enjoyable evening sipper or with some ribs or chili (the stew kind, not the soup kind ;) ) for dinner. A tip of the cap to one of my trading partners.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » October 1st, 2009, 10:09 pm

devildeac wrote:Hoptober-New Belgium-Great name. Fine ale. A trader with CB&B. I refused to buy a 12 pack of this at Harris Teeter last week so I'm real glad I traded for this one. Five hops: Centennial, Cascade, Sterling, Willamette and Glacier. These make a nice blend of very mild grapefruit zest and floral aromas and tastes. Four malts: Pale, wheat, rye and oats. The pale is for the light golden color and slight breadiness, the wheat for a slight tang (but not cloudy), the rye and the oats (somewhat surprising) for smoothness. This is a wonderful session ale and reminds me a bit of a Belgian golden ale without the high ABV (6%). The IBU are 40. I'll have another this Saturday, if you read this CB&B, and would trade happily for it. ;) :D
I too enjoyed this beer.

I've been MIA for the past week or so while moving, but I'm back at it again.

GABF was great. The highlights were the Great Lakes beers (which I can't get in Colorado) and DFH. At DFH I tried the Sahtea and the Theobroma, which had a nice honey and chocolate sweetness and was very rich. I need to pick up a bottle.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2009, 11:23 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
I too enjoyed this beer.

GABF was great. The highlights were the Great Lakes beers (which I can't get in Colorado) and DFH. At DFH I tried the Sahtea and the Theobroma, which had a nice honey and chocolate sweetness and was very rich. I need to pick up a bottle.
I have never seen the Sahtea. I have 2 bottles of the Theobroma. One is for this year and the other for when I remember it in a year or two ;) :D . I don't think I can get this safely into a suitcase and to Vail in March, 2010. Yes, the flight is booked and the 6er to transport is nearly assembled. I think the only item missing is the Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter, if they release it this year :D .
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 2nd, 2009, 12:49 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
I too enjoyed this beer.

How was the Sahtea..I've seen it around but have been hesitant..I drink a ton of black tea but not sure if I want it in my beer...
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 2nd, 2009, 9:28 pm

bluebear wrote: How was the Sahtea..I've seen it around but have been hesitant..I drink a ton of black tea but not sure if I want it in my beer...
It was good. The tea combination added a nice spiciness and warmth, but it wasn't overly noticeable and I didn't pick black tea out. The "hop flavor" was very piney and gin like, largely because it came from juniper berry.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 2nd, 2009, 9:30 pm

devildeac wrote: I have never seen the Sahtea. I have 2 bottles of the Theobroma. One is for this year and the other for when I remember it in a year or two ;) :D . I don't think I can get this safely into a suitcase and to Vail in March, 2010. Yes, the flight is booked and the 6er to transport is nearly assembled. I think the only item missing is the Duck-Rabbit Baltic Porter, if they release it this year :D .
Ah Vail. 7 back bowls is ridiculous.

I look forward to some east coast trades. I have some western ales stashed away that are solely for the trade. Some of the Baltic-Porter would be wonderful. I enjoyed several DR beers at GABF.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 2nd, 2009, 9:33 pm

A friend on FB mentioned he had a Fort Collins Oatmeal Raisin Stout, sounds way tasty. None to be found at Total Wine...anyone seen it or tried it? He had his straight from the brewery at a tasting (lucky bastard).