Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 26th, 2020, 12:12 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 11:42 am
This is a fascinating behind the scenes look at how the Trump campaign tried to get the Wall Street Journal to save the day by publishing the BS Hunter Biden laptop story. And how the campaign was told thanks but no thanks.
Totally worth reading.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-had-one-la ... 53037.html
I am really glad that WSJ showed some backbone and did what was right. When Dow Jones was sold to Murdoch, a lot of the journalists were afraid that they would be required to become his puppet and they would lose all integrity (and this was when things were a lot less polarized - 2007/early 2008). Their edit page has always been to the right but their news was largely unbiased. They have definitely shown some rightward leaning in the news but have largely stayed independent.

It amazes me that the Trump campaign (or those who represent him - he always keeps his distance) was planting stories and was rejected by what they thought was a friendly news outlet and this does not move the needle for people. Tens of millions of people are voting for him right now. Is there anything that would move the needle for these people? Biden is a good human being. His policies are not that extreme. Do people really want four more years of chaos and anger?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Black Americans are fired up and flocking to the polls
Across the country, Black voters are turning out in huge numbers. The stakes this year are especially high, they say, and nothing less than their health and safety is on the ballot.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/26/politics ... index.html

I'm guessing they are showing up to vote for the most supportive President since Abraham Lincoln, right?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2020, 4:26 pm

CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 26th, 2020, 4:44 pm

October 26th, 2020, 4:26 pm
The Fake First Lady is back.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fake-me ... 44501.html
That's awesome. Clearly not Melania as she is actually smiling - Melania has taken RBF to new heights. I was kind of hoping that the moderator at the last debate would have swapped out one of the planned questions and asked both candidates to a) name all of their children, children's spouses and grandchildren - I am fairly sure Trump has spent almost zero time with his grandchildren and couldn't pick them out of a lineup and b) all of the women they have slept with while married. I know that character and human qualities don't seem to matter much to a lot of people these days, but that matters a lot to me.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 26th, 2020, 6:03 pm

This has nothing to do with the election (so it also has that going for it), but while I was watching the 60 Minutes interviews on youtube, this interview with Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, and Steve Buscemi was on the side. The Big Lebowski is one of my favorite movies so it was worth my time. Any fans here will enjoy it also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNzquU4hjpk&t=52s
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 26th, 2020, 11:17 pm

Sorry this is behind the NY Times paywall, but the subheading sums it up: "A recent rally in Wisconsin was typical. In 90 minutes, President Trump made 131 false or inaccurate statements." The man lives in a parallel universe. And no one cares or takes him to task for it. I'm not really excited about having a pathological liar as president.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2020, 9:01 am

ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

:-s :-s
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 27th, 2020, 9:37 am

October 27th, 2020, 9:01 am
ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

It's the final countdown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw
gumbomoop
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by gumbomoop » October 27th, 2020, 10:47 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 9:37 am
ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

I hope so, but still fret that the final countdown will last months, involving an ominous constitutional “crisis of democracy.”

Unless there’s a Biden landslide, Trump and his enablers will do anything — nothing is unthinkable for fascists — to steal the election. Recent Court decisions give no indication that a majority of the Court will stop electoral theft. Maybe they will, but so far they seem to be enabling voter suppression.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » October 27th, 2020, 10:54 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

Danger Zone!!
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 27th, 2020, 11:19 am

gumbomoop wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 10:47 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
ONE WEEK TO GO!!!

I hope so, but still fret that the final countdown will last months, involving an ominous constitutional “crisis of democracy.”

Unless there’s a Biden landslide, Trump and his enablers will do anything — nothing is unthinkable for fascists — to steal the election. Recent Court decisions give no indication that a majority of the Court will stop electoral theft. Maybe they will, but so far they seem to be enabling voter suppression.
I really hope that Biden and his team have a solution for this. We Democrats seem to be really good at organizing marches, having clever bits on late night TV and writing angry Op-ed's, but we are generally too nice. Sitting at our wine bars sulking in our California Cab is not going to solve the problem. The Republicans have had an organized long game for a while and have played it to perfection. The fact that significant parts of that long game involves morally questionable methods that ignore the intent (if not the pure definition) of the law doesn't bother them. If Trump and the Republicans win, their ways will be further institutionalized, so it will be that much easier for them to win next time.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I really hope it is on someone's radar (and let me know what I can do to help).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2020, 11:36 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 11:19 am
gumbomoop wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 10:47 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

I really hope that Biden and his team have a solution for this. We Democrats seem to be really good at organizing marches, having clever bits on late night TV and writing angry Op-ed's, but we are generally too nice. Sitting at our wine bars sulking in our California Cab is not going to solve the problem. The Republicans have had an organized long game for a while and have played it to perfection. The fact that significant parts of that long game involves morally questionable methods that ignore the intent (if not the pure definition) of the law doesn't bother them. If Trump and the Republicans win, their ways will be further institutionalized, so it will be that much easier for them to win next time.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I really hope it is on someone's radar (and let me know what I can do to help).
I like to think that us lowly nobodies sitting around postulating on a message board compare in nothing to what Biden's team has thought up and what plans they have to secure the outcome.

I like to think that.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2020, 4:45 pm

When you can't afford to buy Florida, you say "Bye, Florida".
President Donald Trump’s campaign has all but pulled its advertising out of Florida, as it stakes its relatively small bank account on the industrial northern states that carried him to victory in 2016.

Since the beginning of the fall campaign on Labor Day, Trump has cut $24 million from his national ad budget, while former Vice President Joe Biden has added $197 million. Biden has outspent Trump three-to-one over that time.

Trump is now placing his final bet on just four battleground states: Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Polls show he’s down in all those states but Ohio, where it’s effectively even.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL
fuse

Post by fuse » October 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm

October 27th, 2020, 4:45 pm
President Donald Trump’s campaign has all but pulled its advertising out of Florida, as it stakes its relatively small bank account on the industrial northern states that carried him to victory in 2016.

Since the beginning of the fall campaign on Labor Day, Trump has cut $24 million from his national ad budget, while former Vice President Joe Biden has added $197 million. Biden has outspent Trump three-to-one over that time.

Trump is now placing his final bet on just four battleground states: Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Polls show he’s down in all those states but Ohio, where it’s effectively even.
Sadly, there is a darker perspective suggesting that one candidate doesn’t need to spend more money and is somehow assured the outcome will be in their favour.
I want to be as wrong about this as I have ever been wrong about anything in my life.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 27th, 2020, 6:06 pm

fuse wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Sadly, there is a darker perspective suggesting that one candidate doesn’t need to spend more money and is somehow assured the outcome will be in their favour.
I want to be as wrong about this as I have ever been wrong about anything in my life.
It's not Halloween sending a chill down my spine. But I think and hope you're wrong. They're all a bunch of grifters and they blew or absconded with all the campaign money that was thrown at them. I really think the campaign is broke. If he did have it in the bag, why is he doing all these rallies across the country? Like he said to the people in Erie (near my hometown): "I don't want to be here!"
OPK

Post by OPK » October 27th, 2020, 7:45 pm

fuse wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 5:20 pm

He’s saving up for legal fees on the back end.
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » October 28th, 2020, 12:03 am

My prediction.
The 2016 last few days voter swing to Trump will go against him in 2020. The Hunter emails are a hoax, nothing there. No economy message just COVID, COVID, COVID. His fairly decent performance in the debate of just a few days ago is long forgotten. Back is the rude inappropriate tRump. Perhaps another difference is the lack of his rally coverage. Is it me or did they get shown in full a lot more in 2016? All that is being shown of them now (except Fox) are the tasteless undesirable parts and let’s face it there is PLENTY of that.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 28th, 2020, 12:47 am

Furniture wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 12:03 am
Perhaps another difference is the lack of his rally coverage. Is it me or did they get shown in full a lot more in 2016? All that is being shown of them now (except Fox) are the tasteless undesirable parts and let’s face it there is PLENTY of that.
I remember WAYYYY back in March when many of the newsies showed his NC rally. Not so much for the fact that it was a rally, but because it was the first (and last for a while) that he tried to hold.
Since then, yup, FOX shows them all, and everyone else smartly only shows snippets. Those snippets are usually just the fuckups on his part, because the rest of the show is the same song and dance he does at every single one. Not kidding, it's basically scripted to a T what he says; I've seen videos showing different rallies side by side and he is in tandem with himself.

The thing is, the rallies are for his base to get out and vote. It's like going to see one band on every show of their tour, and seeing the exact same set list every night. Fans don't care, they eat it up, and they will be out enmasse to vote.
The other side are all Deadheads, seeing their guys play different songs every city...and guess what? They also show up. Might be baked, but they still dance.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 28th, 2020, 9:37 am

October 28th, 2020, 12:47 am
Furniture wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 12:03 am
Perhaps another difference is the lack of his rally coverage. Is it me or did they get shown in full a lot more in 2016? All that is being shown of them now (except Fox) are the tasteless undesirable parts and let’s face it there is PLENTY of that.
I remember WAYYYY back in March when many of the newsies showed his NC rally. Not so much for the fact that it was a rally, but because it was the first (and last for a while) that he tried to hold.
Since then, yup, FOX shows them all, and everyone else smartly only shows snippets. Those snippets are usually just the fuckups on his part, because the rest of the show is the same song and dance he does at every single one. Not kidding, it's basically scripted to a T what he says; I've seen videos showing different rallies side by side and he is in tandem with himself.

The thing is, the rallies are for his base to get out and vote. It's like going to see one band on every show of their tour, and seeing the exact same set list every night. Fans don't care, they eat it up, and they will be out enmasse to vote.
The other side are all Deadheads, seeing their guys play different songs every city...and guess what? They also show up. Might be baked, but they still dance.
Exactly. In 2016 Trump got a ton of free advertising from the network news - he was the shiny object and drew ratings. They are supposed to give equal time to both candidates but it was not even close. And as much as many of us here find him disgusting, there are many people who hear the same message over and over again and start to believe it. Particularly if they are hearing it on what they think is a reputable, impartial news cast. I am glad they are doing a better job of managing this this year.

I have heard that some of the protesting around the Philly shooting has been escalated by Trump supporters. This all plays right into his narrative so they are supporting das fuhrer but creating violence. Not that there aren't plenty of non-Trump supporters involved. I am all for peaceful protesting (though I often find people marching around in echo chambers to not be the optimal use of their time if they really want to create change) and I understand that people can get frustrated but this extreme protesting helps no one.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 28th, 2020, 12:30 pm

It is becoming very tempting to simply avoid the news until Election Day.