Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by rockymtn devil » September 24th, 2009, 11:17 pm

bluebear wrote:Sierra Nevada Estate Harvest Ale--I suppose you could consider this an IPA but whatever it is, it's good. Pours a deep amber with a fairly substantial head. Pine and citrus hops up front but muted by solid malt backbone..some lingering hop bitterness in the finish. This is one of the most balanced beers that I've had in some time. The hops and malt blend nicely for a very smooth taste. Fairly full and heavy for the style and an ABV of 6.7..highly recommend..
IIRC, this is a fresh hopped beer, which makes it instantly cooler.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2009, 11:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote:Sierra Nevada Estate Harvest Ale--I suppose you could consider this an IPA but whatever it is, it's good. Pours a deep amber with a fairly substantial head. Pine and citrus hops up front but muted by solid malt backbone..some lingering hop bitterness in the finish. This is one of the most balanced beers that I've had in some time. The hops and malt blend nicely for a very smooth taste. Fairly full and heavy for the style and an ABV of 6.7..highly recommend..
That's a new SN to me. Sounds tasty...I'll keep an eye out. I have yet to have a SN that wasn't pale..do they make any, or are they specialty like Duck Rabbit? (theirs is dark ales)
I have had a bock in the distant past. Don't forget Bigfoot.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 24th, 2009, 11:29 pm

devildeac wrote: I have had a bock in the distant past. Don't forget Bigfoot.
Yeah,.. I'll give you the bock (which I haven't had), but Bigfoot isn't a dark beer. For me, to be dark, you can't see through it to the other side of the glass. You can see through some porters, but the sun has to be shining.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2009, 11:33 pm

SN also brews a stout, Kellerweis (new) and Summerfest.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 24th, 2009, 11:34 pm

devildeac wrote:SN also brews a stout, Kellerweis (new) and Summerfest.
I had a sixer of Summerfest this year. Good, not great.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2009, 11:37 pm

wilson wrote:
I don't think I have ever tasted it. I just think about SN for the PA/IPA type brews. I have had the porter and stout in the distant past, also.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 25th, 2009, 8:04 am

devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:
I don't think I have ever tasted it. I just think about SN for the PA/IPA type brews. I have had the porter and stout in the distant past, also.
This is one SN offering (with DFH) which I can't wait to try...
http://beernews.org/2009/08/dogfish-hea ... life-limb/
WIth one of the coolest labels, I've seen..
http://beernews.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... d-limb.png
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2009, 8:15 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:I don't think I have ever tasted it. I just think about SN for the PA/IPA type brews. I have had the porter and stout in the distant past, also.
I'll be right behind you in line. I have 2 bottles of Black and Blue plus 2 bottles of Theobroma. One for now and one for next year, I hope. I have seen the Chateau Jiahu but just can't pull the trigger.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 25th, 2009, 8:19 am

bluebear wrote:This is one SN offering (with DFH) which I can't wait to try...
Wow, that does sound exciting. Thanks for the heads up.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 25th, 2009, 8:31 am

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:I don't think I have ever tasted it. I just think about SN for the PA/IPA type brews. I have had the porter and stout in the distant past, also.
I'll be right behind you in line. I have 2 bottles of Black and Blue plus 2 bottles of Theobroma. One for now and one for next year, I hope. I have seen the Chateau Jiahu but just can't pull the trigger.
I haven't been able to pull the trigger on Chateau Jiahu either..It looks interesting but I always seem to find something else to buy instead..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2009, 10:00 pm

Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-probably one of the originals from Deutschland. It is your typical marzen which is an amber lager with very mild hoppy floral aromas and tastes and lots of lighter malts which give this very enjoyable session beer flavors of nuttiness and soft toffee/caramel. This would be good with lighter grilled fare and even some 'cue would be nice with this. This a trader from 8-x and he selected a good one. IBU are gentle and probably in the 20-30 range and ABV would be in the 5-6% range. I'll pass on one of these to my son who is visiting for the weekend.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Hey, CB&B, I caved and bought a 6er of the 6 month old Heavy Seas Imperial ESB. You'll see it as a trader tomorrow :D . You're right, when did I and why should I care about the age of the beer on the label. ;) :D It's a bottle-conditioned ale so I am less worried about it. I have one chilling now and I'll put a review up in about an hour if you are still awake. ;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 25th, 2009, 10:21 pm

devildeac wrote:Hey, CB&B, I caved and bought a 6er of the 6 month old Heavy Seas Imperial ESB. You'll see it as a trader tomorrow :D . You're right, when did I and why should I care about the age of the beer on the label. ;) :D It's a bottle-conditioned ale so I am less worried about it. I have one chilling now and I'll put a review up in about an hour if you are still awake. ;) :D
Woohoo!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Wee Heavy Scotch Ale-from the fine folks at the Duck-Rabbit brewery just outside the metropolis of G-ville, N.C. This is a fine representation of the style as it appears dark brown, clean and crisp. Tons of malt, probably caramel and chocolate, which impart wonderful tastes of milk chocolate, dark caramel and hints of peat/smoke and toffee to this highly enjoyable ale. Little hop nose/palate. The IBU are probably 20-30 and it is potent at 8% ABV. Serve this slightly chilled with BBQ pork, chicken or ribs, as an after dinner beverage or perhaps even with a blondie or milk chocolate/caramel dessert. There will be one or two in the trader 6er tomorrow if you still happen to be on-line, CB&B :D . And BTW, don't worry rmd, I just added one of these to the 6er we'll bring to Colorado this spring. The trip is booked to Vail and we'll arrange the lodging in the next few weeks. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2009, 12:11 am

I swear the label said Kind Beers Pale Ale brewed by the Thomas Creek Brewing Company in Greenville, S.C. but it was not on their web site. Oh well, I shared this with my son and found this to be a very well concocted American Pale Ale with lots of citrus aroma and taste and a bit of pine/resin. Medium amber with a modest head and not a lot of malt balance. Matched nicely with a 1/4 pound foot long on a home made hot dog bun. I'd guess the IBU to be about 60-70 and the ABV was 7.3% which is a bit high for a PA and more in the IPA range. This was enjoyed courtesy of CB&B.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 27th, 2009, 1:52 pm

On the way home today, I saw a billboard on 70 promoting Mother Earth brewery. They will be in Kinston, here is the website.
http://www.motherearthbrewing.com/
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 27th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Stolen from the LTE...
devildeac wrote: Last night we danced (not continuously) from about 730 until just after 1130, shared a Goodberry treat, had a Donker (that's a Kasteel, a Belgian brown ale for those of you with your minds elsewhere ;) ) and proceeded to get about 4.5 hours sleep. That left nothing else to do at 630 AM except peruse a couple internet sites ( :D ) and then walk/run for an hour.
Luckily for me, DD saved one for a trader. There are Belgian ales, and then there are ales actually brewed in Belgium. The Donker is one of these, and it's very interesting. I'd call it a dessert beer, because it is soooo sweet. I wonder if it was brewed with non-fermentable sugars, or if the yeast they used died out before all of the sugars could be consumed. At 11% ABV, the latter is a possibility. This bottle has been aged a bit, but I'm not sure if it's one year or two. It's marked 080407. Either the 08 or the 07 is the year.
Being so sweet, it masks the high abv, so this brew doesn't have the bite that many bigger beers have. The color is a nice dark brown, only translucent when held up to direct light. Low head, very low bitterness, obviously light on hops. The flavor is strongly fruity, but I can't put my finger on anything particular to compare it to, which isn't bad. It's just one of those "you have to try it for yourself" ales.
This will be the last beer for the night...in fact I do believe it will be a splitter..half tonight, half tomorrow.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Clawhammer Oktoberfest-Highland Brewing. Asheville, N.C.-First time ever for this brew for me. First time I've ever seen it. An amber-colored mildly sweet and malty with some lighter hops and floral tastes and aromas. This is pretty typical and is the marzen style, which is traditional for Oktoberfest brews. Nice pairing with lighter grilled fare. I'd guess the IBU are 30-40 at most and the ABV would be about 5-6%. CB&B has one of these as a trader so I'll wait for his thoughts/tastes, too. Hey 8-x , you want one of these for a trader on your next trip to North Cackalackey? ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 27th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Clipper City Winter Storm Category 5 Ale-Another 1st for me. CB&B shamed me into a 6er of this brew after I did not buy it last week due to the "brewed on" date. Upon further review, I read the label , realized it was a bottle-conditioned ale and caved on Friday buying a 6er for sipping and trading. Good move. This is an Imperial ESB. Take that, rmd. Bet you've never had one of those ;) :D . It has the typical English earthy, malty, slightly sweet taste of an ESB with some piney/sprucey hops. It is a medium brown, clear pour even though I gently swirled the bottle to include the yeast into the pour for a bit of funk and sour taste, which was indeed very slight. Think typical ESB on a few 'roids as it is 7.5% ABV. I'd guess the IBU in the 30-40 range. This is part of their High Seas series, or high gravity ales. A nice ale to enjoy on a cool fall evening with burgers, ribs or pork/chicken BBQ.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 28th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Planet Porter-Boulder Beer Company-a new brew! A trader from CB&B from 9-26 Brunchgate. It was a bit cool and quite damp Saturday so it seemed like a good time to unveil this winter brew. Typical stuff here with a dark brown pour and a modest tan head. A bit of coffee and a bit of dark chocolate nicely balanced with a small hop presence. I'm sure the malts are heavy doses of caramel and chocolate. A good sipper on an early, soggy fall eve. I'd guess the IBU in the 30-40 range and the ABV 5-6%. Thank you again for your trading pleasure.