CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 24th, 2022, 6:14 pm

dudog wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 6:03 pm
Another 14 dead kids.

I'm not going to write any more, I might run afoul of even this board's freedom of expression.

:sigh:
Tomorrow is the first time I will set foot in my son's elementary school in 2+ years, for a second grade music performance. Though it will likely be painful on my ears, it should be an incredibly joyous, happy occasion to see all of these cute kids taking another step back towards normalcy after the chaos caused by Covid.

Instead, I will be thinking of these poor parents who have lost their children and will not be able to experience something like this.

I just don't understand why these gun nuts cannot compromise their rights even slightly for the good of others. I know Beto screamed about taking away guns. That is not what we want (well, it is, but I realize it is not realistic). We just want some basic rules in place. If you can handle your gun responsibly, then you should have no problem registering it. And having rules to make sure people who truly should not have guns don't have them, or at least have to try a little harder to get them. And no one (other than someone who used to post here and on DBR who thinks he is Rambo but many others think is sweet and cute) really needs one of these guns that can spray numerous bullets. Again, compromise.

The Dems need to step up and present some moderate legislation. Be extremely careful about what is in it and what is not in it. Don't give them any excuses. Guns are a key issue for Bloomberg. He can single-handedly out-donate the NRA. Pick some winnable races and put some money behind them.

I also find it unbelievable that many of those who are rejoicing about the likely downfall of Roe v Wade because they are "pro life" don't give a darn about doing anything to even slightly reduce the chances of kids dying like this. Hypocrites. And they call themselves patriots. They are an embarrassment to our country and humankind.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 24th, 2022, 7:11 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 6:14 pm
dudog wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 6:03 pm
Another 14 dead kids.

I'm not going to write any more, I might run afoul of even this board's freedom of expression.

:sigh:
Tomorrow is the first time I will set foot in my son's elementary school in 2+ years, for a second grade music performance. Though it will likely be painful on my ears, it should be an incredibly joyous, happy occasion to see all of these cute kids taking another step back towards normalcy after the chaos caused by Covid.

Instead, I will be thinking of these poor parents who have lost their children and will not be able to experience something like this.

I just don't understand why these gun nuts cannot compromise their rights even slightly for the good of others. I know Beto screamed about taking away guns. That is not what we want (well, it is, but I realize it is not realistic). We just want some basic rules in place. If you can handle your gun responsibly, then you should have no problem registering it. And having rules to make sure people who truly should not have guns don't have them, or at least have to try a little harder to get them. And no one (other than someone who used to post here and on DBR who thinks he is Rambo but many others think is sweet and cute) really needs one of these guns that can spray numerous bullets. Again, compromise.

The Dems need to step up and present some moderate legislation. Be extremely careful about what is in it and what is not in it. Don't give them any excuses. Guns are a key issue for Bloomberg. He can single-handedly out-donate the NRA. Pick some winnable races and put some money behind them.

I also find it unbelievable that many of those who are rejoicing about the likely downfall of Roe v Wade because they are "pro life" don't give a darn about doing anything to even slightly reduce the chances of kids dying like this. Hypocrites. And they call themselves patriots. They are an embarrassment to our country and humankind.
The beginning of the 2nd Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia..."

I'm wondering if any laws would survive this supreme court. (As with uNC, I will no longer capitalize this entity)
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » May 24th, 2022, 9:53 pm

OPK

Post by OPK » May 24th, 2022, 10:21 pm

CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 24th, 2022, 11:01 pm

I love how the few gun supporters I know on Facebook, DBR, Deeber (I lurk there), and other social media go totally silent. They are all obstructionists and unwilling to propose any solutions. I am tempted to call them out by name but I am trying to take the high road. As far as I'm concerned they all have blood on their hands. Hopefully there will be massive protests outside the upcoming NRA convention. And hopefully they will be peaceful. Also, hopefully the legislation that Schumer is going to force a vote on will be very clear so that anyone who rejects it is clearly in favor of little kids dying.

All of these people who think a gun will give them self-defense are actually the biggest wimps and wouldn't know what to do with their precious gun if they were actually threatened. And the odds of most of them being threatened are virtually zero anyway. I think of the scene from one of my favorite movies, Swingers - "what the F are you carrying a gun for? What, in case somebody steps to you, Snoop Dogg?"

The responsible hunters and such need to be more vocal. There are many gun owners out there who are in favor of basic regulations. They need to speak up. Maybe someone will listen to them.

Just saw this tweet and I love it:

https://twitter.com/RepDeanPhillips/sta ... 4867525633

In case you were wondering, I really hate guns. And I hate selfish people.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 24th, 2022, 11:41 pm

CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 25th, 2022, 7:19 am

dudog wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 11:41 pm
And here is fox news' take:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/biden ... li=BBnb7Kz
Someone should really take away their broadcasting license. Their whole MO is to take cheap shots at Democrats. Ignore the problem and find a way to blame the Democrats and change the narrative. And the ignorant masses fall in line and repeat everything they say.

I am embarrassed that I briefly worked for News Corp. around 2008 (the company I worked for was acquired).
OPK

Post by OPK » May 25th, 2022, 9:41 am

In local news here, it looks like some semblance of reality is returning to Georgia Republicans. Kemp and Raffensperger were primaried by Trump solely for failing to overturn the election. Republican and crossover voters resoundingly defeated that effort.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 25th, 2022, 9:48 am

[flash=][/flash]
OPK wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 10:21 pm
Fuller clip:

https://twitter.com/notoriousohm/status ... 4eyCeoEenQ
Sadly the answer to his question to the senators is "yep". X(
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 26th, 2022, 11:54 am

More fox news coverage of the shooting. I couldn't watch all of the clips, but there's one of Pirro asking "Do we know what time it happened? How old are kids in elementary school?".Unbelievable.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fox-n ... li=BBnbfcL
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 26th, 2022, 12:02 pm

dudog wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 11:54 am
More fox news coverage of the shooting. I couldn't watch all of the clips, but there's one of Pirro asking "Do we know what time it happened? How old are kids in elementary school?".Unbelievable.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fox-n ... li=BBnbfcL
The "breaking news" headline just above that is very interesting.
Former President Donald Trump must answer questions under oath in New York state’s civil investigation into his business practices, a state appeals court ruled Thursday.

Thursday's ruling could mean a tough decision for Trump about whether to answer questions, or stay silent, citing his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. Anything Trump says in a civil deposition could be used against him in the criminal probe being overseen by the Manhattan district attorney’s office.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump ... 0f03bea731
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 26th, 2022, 12:17 pm

By the way, Trump can appeal the above ruling, and of course will. His taking advantage of an appeal opportunity is always a foregone conclusion.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 26th, 2022, 10:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 12:17 pm
By the way, Trump can appeal the above ruling, and of course will. His taking advantage of an appeal opportunity is always a foregone conclusion.
If he called me and asked me to be his lawyer (and I was a lawyer), I would probably say no. But I would also consider asking for $10,000 an hour, with all payments up front, and see if he bites. The man spends ridiculous amounts of money on lawyers. And all of his idiot followers send him money to support his "campaign".

Every senator who votes against the gun bill should be forced to explain why, and then be forced to provide a better idea. And anyone who thinks that arming teachers is a good idea should lose their right to vote. I keep reading that a huge percentage of Americans supports some gun regulation. I think the problem is that when it comes down to a general election between a Republicans who they disagree with on guns but generally agree with on most other issues and a Democrat (particularly a more progressive one), they will sacrifice the gun issue for all of the other issues where they align better with the Republican.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 27th, 2022, 9:13 am

I'm glad we have OPK here; he can give us some local insight on the Herschel Walker vs Warnock Senate race as it unfolds.

I can't imagine that the majority of Republicans are happy that Walker won the primary, but the majority made him win, so who knows. Either way, I've read recent polls that show either of the two with a slight lead. I'll be surprised if it stays close all the way through, but I've been surprised before.
I mean we're talking about the guy that gives this as his solution after the recent school shooting in Texas.
“What I like to do is see it and everything and stuff.”

This is how Hershel Walker responded on Tuesday night when asked about gun control in the wake of a shooter killing 21 people, including 19 children, at an Uvalde, Texas, elementary school hours earlier.
And he went on, producing this beauty.
“That’s a problem that we have. What we need to do is look into how we can stop those things … What about getting a department that’s looking at young men, that’s looking at young women, that’s looking at social media.”
https://news.yahoo.com/herschel-walker- ... 14629.html
dudog

Post by dudog » May 27th, 2022, 11:25 am

Unbelievable the shifting stories of the Uvalde cops. What a bunch of goddamn cowards.

Heartbreaking the stories of the children. The survivors will never be the same.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 27th, 2022, 11:43 am

dudog wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 11:25 am
Unbelievable the shifting stories of the Uvalde cops. What a bunch of goddamn cowards.

Heartbreaking the stories of the children. The survivors will never be the same.
What happened with the cops sounds like a total mess. But I hope that discussing that doesn't take people's attention away from the need for gun reform (not referring to you - I mean in the national conversation). This is a nice little diversion for them.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 27th, 2022, 1:10 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 11:43 am
dudog wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 11:25 am

What happened with the cops sounds like a total mess. But I hope that discussing that doesn't take people's attention away from the need for gun reform (not referring to you - I mean in the national conversation). This is a nice little diversion for them.
Hadn't even thought of it that way, you're right. A friend just texted me that 19 cops were in the hallway and made the decision not to break in at the same time kids were alive inside and calling 911.

He then texted 19 "good" guys with a gun.

Don't forget, arming teachers would stop all this.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 27th, 2022, 1:25 pm

Too late to edit above post, but this has now been confirmed by the Texas Department of Public Safety. These #@$%^& need to be publicly named and shamed.

Edit: Figured I should link, this article has more. The cops have no legal duty to protect us.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/uv ... li=BBnb7Kz
Last edited by dudog on May 27th, 2022, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OPK

Post by OPK » May 27th, 2022, 1:30 pm

May 27th, 2022, 9:13 am
I'm glad we have OPK here
Wow, not sure that phrase has ever been uttered before!

Herschel is a problematic candidate for many reasons. But he is a UGA Dawg icon, and the GOP thinks that he he can peel some of the African-American vote from Warnock. Republicans are not looking for style points, they just want to win.

Way too early to get a read. Warlock has brought home a lot of bacon. Warnock would clean Herschel’s clock in any debate if Walker really goes through with one (I am doubtful). But it’s a tough year to be running as a Democrat. Between that race, and the gubernatorial race between Kemp and Abrams, the amount of money that will be poured into this state over the next five months staggers the mind. And the looming threat that Trump tries to torpedo Kemp, which could dampen Rep turnout, has a long way to play out.

It would be interesting if it wasn’t so personally serious for our state.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 27th, 2022, 1:37 pm

OPK wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 1:30 pm
May 27th, 2022, 9:13 am
I'm glad we have OPK here
Wow, not sure that phrase has ever been uttered before!

Herschel is a problematic candidate for many reasons. But he is a UGA Dawg icon, and the GOP thinks that he he can peel some of the African-American vote from Warnock. Republicans are not looking for style points, they just want to win.

Way too early to get a read. Warlock has brought home a lot of bacon. Warnock would clean Herschel’s clock in any debate if Walker really goes through with one (I am doubtful). But it’s a tough year to be running as a Democrat. Between that race, and the gubernatorial race between Kemp and Abrams, the amount of money that will be poured into this state over the next five months staggers the mind. And the looming threat that Trump tries to torpedo Kemp, which could dampen Rep turnout, has a long way to play out.

It would be interesting if it wasn’t so personally serious for our state.
There goes the religious vote. :p