Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 7th, 2022, 11:13 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 7th, 2022, 10:50 am
I agree - I unfortunately don't think this will move the needle for most people. Plus I have very little faith in the Democrats to effectively spin this and control the narrative - Republicans are so much better at this. I really hope that Democrats are mobilizing and strategizing in key districts/states and tailoring messaging to those specific areas.

National Democrats need to recognize that it is a very diverse party and what appeals in AOC's district does not appeal in a very purple district, and vice versa. So when someone like Warren comes out and makes a bold statement about something, it might help in some places, but it can really hurt elsewhere. I do not envy Biden's job trying to manage all of this.
It's interesting, because the GOP is pretty divided too. I've got no doubt that more than a few Republicans cringe when MTG and Boebert open their mouths, but for whatever reason, overall, they are not only accepted but in some ways encouraged. To be truly shunned, you have to be Cawthorn level, which is bizarre in its own right. (Since I don't think he's certifiable like the other two I mentioned. He's just young and stupid.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 15th, 2022, 11:08 pm

That sound you hear? That's literally thousands of keyboards firing off fiery hate, or lavishing praise. Just depends on how you view it.

But either way, it's still literally thousands of keyboards, popping off thanks or fuck yous to Rolling Stone.
Potent headline.

The Buffalo Shooter Isn’t a ‘Lone Wolf.’ He’s a Mainstream Republican

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/buf ... 13169.html
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » May 16th, 2022, 8:07 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
May 15th, 2022, 11:08 pm
That sound you hear? That's literally thousands of keyboards firing off fiery hate, or lavishing praise. Just depends on how you view it.

But either way, it's still literally thousands of keyboards, popping off thanks or fuck yous to Rolling Stone.
Potent headline.

I had not heard about this footnote by Alito before (linked in your article). Just wow:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... tnote.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 16th, 2022, 10:36 am

dudog wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 8:07 am
May 15th, 2022, 11:08 pm

Potent headline.

I had not heard about this footnote by Alito before (linked in your article). Just wow:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... tnote.html
Thanks for these articles - I had heard about them but not gotten around to reading them. As I have said before, these nut jobs (not just this specific one but all of the others who think like he does) are not "my fellow Americans." And I am pretty sure they feel the same way about me, even though I am white, which puts me ahead of many others in their perverse world view.

The crazy thing (on top of all the other crazy things here) about the intersection of their fear of "replacement" and their hatred of abortion is that I believe a disproportionate number of people having abortions are minorities (I just did a quick google search and found one article confirming this, though I may be incorrect). So, using their backwards logic, many of these now non-aborted children will be minorities, which are the people they don't want more of and seem to be only slightly ahead of immigrants on their list.

About 7 of the more junior staffers on my work team are based on Buffalo, so this one hit particularly close to home. They are all white so once I heard the demographics of the victims I knew that it was likely that they were OK, but the husband of the woman I work most closely with is a police officer, so I was still concerned (they are all fine), and I was still horrified regardless of if I knew anyone. Yet Republicans act like nothing happened and refuse to propose solutions.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 17th, 2022, 10:15 am

Why are white kids with guns, who have just murdered numerous people (this is more than just Buffalo), being asked by police to put down their weapons while unarmed black kids are being shot?

What will it take for laws to be changed?

I am white. I can't even imagine what my rage would be if I were black.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 17th, 2022, 10:59 am

It's Primary Day!

The scope of the midterms, at least across NC, will be more in focus by tonight. One I'm watching today is Cawthorn. I'd love to see him lose his primary, and I've got no doubt that he would if the field weren't so crowded. But it is, and that's in his favor.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 17th, 2022, 11:18 pm

May 17th, 2022, 10:59 am
It's Primary Day!

The scope of the midterms, at least across NC, will be more in focus by tonight. One I'm watching today is Cawthorn. I'd love to see him lose his primary, and I've got no doubt that he would if the field weren't so crowded. But it is, and that's in his favor.
TOAST!!!
His district will still be red, that's fine. But nice to see that sanity prevailed.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 17th, 2022, 11:39 pm

May 17th, 2022, 11:18 pm
May 17th, 2022, 10:59 am
It's Primary Day!

TOAST!!!
His district will still be red, that's fine. But nice to see that sanity prevailed.
Plus he won't ever get a government pension (unless he gets elected again twice). Though he did make about $350K in salary. Nice work if you can get it...considering how little they get done.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 18th, 2022, 1:03 am

dudog wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 11:39 pm
Plus he won't ever get a government pension (unless he gets elected again twice). Though he did make about $350K in salary. Nice work if you can get it...considering how little they get done.
The way he seems to live, I'm thinking he better have a really good financial advisor to make that 350 last.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 20th, 2022, 1:38 pm

Biden is polling really, really, really badly. He's making Carter look good.
Only 39% of U.S. adults approve of Biden’s performance as president, according to the poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Research, dipping from already negative ratings a month earlier.

Overall, only about 2 in 10 adults say the U.S. is heading in the right direction or the economy is good, both down from about 3 in 10 a month earlier. Those drops were concentrated among Democrats, with just 33% within the president’s party saying the country is headed in the right direction, down from 49% in April.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-approv ... 24439.html

:twitch: L-)
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 20th, 2022, 5:25 pm

May 20th, 2022, 1:38 pm
Only 39% of U.S. adults approve of Biden’s performance as president, according to the poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Research, dipping from already negative ratings a month earlier.

Overall, only about 2 in 10 adults say the U.S. is heading in the right direction or the economy is good, both down from about 3 in 10 a month earlier. Those drops were concentrated among Democrats, with just 33% within the president’s party saying the country is headed in the right direction, down from 49% in April.

Yup. Not looking good for November. Hopefully the Republicans can find new and interesting to shoot themselves in the foot to perhaps keep things interesting, particularly in the Senate. If the R's win the house and we keep a 50-50 Senate, then basically nothing gets done for two years, which gives us a stay of execution on the holy hell the Republicans might bring if they sweep all three in 2024. If that happens, Biden should get on the first plane to a remote island as the Republicans will be coming after him non-stop.

There was a feature in the NYT where they interviewed Trump supporters in key states. Some were more rational than others but the are all certified nuts. They believe every word out of Trump's mouth and make decisions solely based on his endorsements. Several said that the Republicans are too nice to Democrats (exactly what we say about Democrats). This full faith in Trump is why it is so critical that he gets locked up, but that process is moving ridiculously slowly.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » May 20th, 2022, 5:41 pm

Trump will never serve time for a crime in my estimation. At least, not daddy Trump.

If the Dems want to beat him and his form of populism, they better start acting like they can govern and actually learn how to counter-message. Republicans are SO much better at messaging it is absurd. And it has been that way since Lee Atwater and Reagan. What is the Dem’s message this fall after two years of governance? “if we could get our shit together, we could have done great things?”

Frustrating as shit, as an independent who would like at least one party to be both sane and functionally competent.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 20th, 2022, 10:50 pm

OPK wrote:
May 20th, 2022, 5:41 pm
Trump will never serve time for a crime in my estimation. At least, not daddy Trump.

If the Dems want to beat him and his form of populism, they better start acting like they can govern and actually learn how to counter-message. Republicans are SO much better at messaging it is absurd. And it has been that way since Lee Atwater and Reagan. What is the Dem’s message this fall after two years of governance? “if we could get our shit together, we could have done great things?”

Frustrating as shit, as an independent who would like at least one party to be both sane and functionally competent.
You don't think the GA case has any legs at all? I am going on the assumption that it won't get him so as not to get my hopes up but it seems like there is a decent case there, and it is finally moving forward (though still slowly).

I agree that Dem messaging is really awful. Biden is far from perfect but he gets the blame for everything that goes wrong and he is unable to extract any positive response for things that he does well. Unemployment is really low. The spending plan is going to create a lot of jobs. We actually have some sense of normalcy and decency in the White House - would Trump have gone to Buffalo to console the families of the shooting victims?

To think what a great world this would be if the power of persuasion of Fox News and Trump were being used for something good.
OPK

Post by OPK » May 21st, 2022, 7:52 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 20th, 2022, 10:50 pm

You don't think the GA case has any legs at all?
I think it may lead to a conviction . . . Eventually. But even then, I don’t see a prison term.
dudog

Post by dudog » May 21st, 2022, 8:51 am

OPK wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 7:52 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

I think it may lead to a conviction . . . Eventually. But even then, I don’t see a prison term.
If this isn't stopped, it's gonna happen again. And next time, it won't be led by Krakens and Pillow Guys.
OPK

Post by OPK » May 21st, 2022, 9:19 am

dudog wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 8:51 am
OPK wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 7:52 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

If this isn't stopped, it's gonna happen again. And next time, it won't be led by Krakens and Pillow Guys.
I’m not disagreeing. I’m just saying what I think’s gonna (not) happen.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 24th, 2022, 8:55 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 20th, 2022, 5:25 pm

Yup. Not looking good for November. Hopefully the Republicans can find new and interesting to shoot themselves in the foot to perhaps keep things interesting, particularly in the Senate. If the R's win the house and we keep a 50-50 Senate, then basically nothing gets done for two years, which gives us a stay of execution on the holy hell the Republicans might bring if they sweep all three in 2024. If that happens, Biden should get on the first plane to a remote island as the Republicans will be coming after him non-stop.

There was a feature in the NYT where they interviewed Trump supporters in key states. Some were more rational than others but the are all certified nuts. They believe every word out of Trump's mouth and make decisions solely based on his endorsements. Several said that the Republicans are too nice to Democrats (exactly what we say about Democrats). This full faith in Trump is why it is so critical that he gets locked up, but that process is moving ridiculously slowly.
Agree with all of this. Covid deaths are measurably higher in pro-Trump areas of the country, where vaccine and mask disinformation runs rampant. Much of this is fueled by Faux News. The same people who block the very public health measures that would control the pandemic sanctimoniously blame Biden for the spread of the pandemic. If you cite facts to rebut these claims, you’ve been brainwashed. This is based on real discussions with my dad, who believes “they” are blocking the cure for Covid because Trump pushed it. He’s referring to hydroxychloroquine, which has been shown in multiple well-designed clinical trials to NOT work. I’ve heard Faux talking heads spouting this garbage, so I know where he is getting his disinformation. At this point, I believe the Republicans know exactly what they are doing and are killing their constituents for political gain.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » May 24th, 2022, 10:42 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 8:55 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Agree with all of this. Covid deaths are measurably higher in pro-Trump areas of the country, where vaccine and mask disinformation runs rampant. Much of this is fueled by Faux News. The same people who block the very public health measures that would control the pandemic sanctimoniously blame Biden for the spread of the pandemic. If you cite facts to rebut these claims, you’ve been brainwashed. This is based on real discussions with my dad, who believes “they” are blocking the cure for Covid because Trump pushed it. He’s referring to hydroxychloroquine, which has been shown in multiple well-designed clinical trials to NOT work. I’ve heard Faux talking heads spouting this garbage, so I know where he is getting his disinformation. At this point, I believe the Republicans know exactly what they are doing and are killing their constituents for political gain.
Of course by having their supporters die from Covid they are losing voters. Unless they are the ones who are stealing the vote and having dead people vote. No, of course that isn't happening. Every single fake voter is a Democrat and there are exactly the number to swing the vote in all of the battleground states. We all believe that is happening...

I am still waiting for one person to say "OK, they did steal the vote. If you had won, what would you be doing for me? How would things be different? Where is that health care plan that is better than Obamacare that you promised but didn't even try to create even though you controlled the white house, senate and house for two years?"
dudog

Post by dudog » May 24th, 2022, 4:28 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 10:42 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
May 24th, 2022, 8:55 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Of course by having their supporters die from Covid they are losing voters. Unless they are the ones who are stealing the vote and having dead people vote. No, of course that isn't happening. Every single fake voter is a Democrat and there are exactly the number to swing the vote in all of the battleground states. We all believe that is happening...

I am still waiting for one person to say "OK, they did steal the vote. If you had won, what would you be doing for me? How would things be different? Where is that health care plan that is better than Obamacare that you promised but didn't even try to create even though you controlled the white house, senate and house for two years?"
And my middle class tax cut. And an infrastructure bill. And where the hell is my wall? I'm sure Mexico sent the check!
dudog

Post by dudog » May 24th, 2022, 6:03 pm

Another 14 dead kids.

I'm not going to write any more, I might run afoul of even this board's freedom of expression.

:sigh: