Should we outlaw any and almost all PP type discussions

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Should we outlaw any and almost all Public Policy type discussions

Yes, PP discussions belong elsewhere in cyberspace, not on Crazietalk.net
48%
No, PP are an integral part of my life and I'll do myself bodily harm if I can't get my fill here
17%
I don't care
35%

Total votes: 23
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Should we outlaw any and almost all PP type discussions

Post by windsor » September 25th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Lavabe wrote:Here on CTN, we can all be civil by using the large number of smilies that we have. I really think the smilies deflect a large amount of the heated exchanges that would otherwise surface.

\m/ :poo: :skull: :cat: :bomb2:

I actually thought of that...it somehow seems less threatening when you tell someone "You are full of :poo: "

:tease: :tease: :tease:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 25th, 2009, 1:25 pm

windsor wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Here on CTN, we can all be civil by using the large number of smilies that we have. I really think the smilies deflect a large amount of the heated exchanges that would otherwise surface.

\m/ :poo: :skull: :cat: :bomb2:

I actually thought of that...it somehow seems less threatening when you tell someone "You are full of :poo: "

:tease: :tease: :tease:
Do you honestly think that we would lock a thread here about cats and dogs? Over here, we have smilies for both cats and dogs, AND what they leave behind.

:cat: :o3 :poo:

Smilies ARE less threatening. Their use also helps us keep close to our inner silliness. 8-} :o) :ymparty: :-h :provocative:

Perhaps we need a "must use at least one smilie" rule when the subject matter possibly gets testy. x_x :asleep: :-j \:D/ *-:)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » September 25th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Lavabe wrote: Perhaps we need a "must use at least one smilie" rule when the subject matter possibly gets testy.

So we need a smiley for the testis?!?!?!?!?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » September 25th, 2009, 2:11 pm

colchar wrote:
Lavabe wrote: Perhaps we need a "must use at least one smilie" rule when the subject matter possibly gets testy.

:provocative: :facepalm3: :moonknight: :Bowser: :chief:
Probably. We have them for everything else!
Class of 2014
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2009, 5:59 pm

CellR wrote:
colchar wrote:

:provocative: :facepalm3: :moonknight: :Bowser: :chief:
Probably. We have them for everything else!
And we have, or will have, an endowed professor or two ... =))

I think at this point just about everyone who has been here since the beginning and is a regular (or irregular, as the case may be ;) ) poster has expressed pretty much the same opinion - we like what we've got and we don't want to see it change by becoming a PPB. I don't think we're in danger of becoming that, and I similarly don't think we need a hard and fast rule against it - at this time.

As neither the board owner nor a moderator, I certainly don't, and can't, make policy, and don't want to. But I think that putting the poll up this week was very worthwhile. I also think it's time for the mods to close the thread, and perhaps sticky it to the top for a short while so newbies (I can't believe that "newbies" is an acceptable word for Firefox's spell checker!) will know B-) that this is not the place to discuss politics on a regular basis. They'll also see that even when we are discussing something with occasionally diverse opinions, we still have fun with one another and can bust someone's chops without taking it seriously :D B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 25th, 2009, 7:56 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: As neither the board owner nor a moderator, I certainly don't, and can't, make policy, and don't want to. But I think that putting the poll up this week was very worthwhile. I also think it's time for the mods to close the thread, and perhaps sticky it to the top for a short while so newbies (I can't believe that "newbies" is an acceptable word for Firefox's spell checker!) will know B-) that this is not the place to discuss politics on a regular basis. They'll also see that even when we are discussing something with occasionally diverse opinions, we still have fun with one another and can bust someone's chops without taking it seriously :D B-)
I totally agree that it was worthwhile, and thanks Ozzie for doing it. Instead of stickying this thread, I'll add a note in the house regulations persuading against PP threads. We'll have to look at such threads on an individual basis, but I agree that we probably won't see many. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll leave this thread open as well, so it may slowly drift off into oblivion on its own.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2009, 7:58 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: As neither the board owner nor a moderator, I certainly don't, and can't, make policy, and don't want to. But I think that putting the poll up this week was very worthwhile. I also think it's time for the mods to close the thread, and perhaps sticky it to the top for a short while so newbies (I can't believe that "newbies" is an acceptable word for Firefox's spell checker!) will know B-) that this is not the place to discuss politics on a regular basis. They'll also see that even when we are discussing something with occasionally diverse opinions, we still have fun with one another and can bust someone's chops without taking it seriously :D B-)
I totally agree that it was worthwhile, and thanks Ozzie for doing it. Instead of stickying this thread, I'll add a note in the house regulations persuading against PP threads. We'll have to look at such threads on an individual basis, but I agree that we probably won't see many. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll leave this thread open as well, so it may slowly drift off into oblivion on its own.
Works for me! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2009, 10:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
No argument from me. I guess I should check my PM as I can probably figger out what they discuss. Glad we had the poll and the subsequent discourse in a civil fashion. Thanks folks.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.