Wilson and other grammarians, have at it! Click inside!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Wilson and other grammarians, have at it! Click inside!

Post by colchar » September 22nd, 2009, 11:31 pm

throatybeard wrote:
Incidentally, re: Madagascar, I'm sure you know this, but I was gobsmacked recently when I learned that the Nazis' earlier plan was to deport all the Jews to Madagascar.
This is one of the facts most often cited by the functionalist side of the intentionalist/functionalist debate.
I had no idea--this bit doesn't make it into garden-variety accounts in the US of the Holocaust, at least not any of the ones I've been exposed to.
Depends what you read. I knew about it long before I studied it in depth in grad school.
Apparently this was plan A, and then the Nazis had their hands full with the English in 1940, so they scuttled the plan and moved onto their even more heinous ones.
It wasn't Plan A as there were several plans being bandied about. And they didn't move on to their more heinous one as the Holocaust wasn't 'planned' (at least not in the manner that most people would understand the word).
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 23rd, 2009, 8:55 am

throatybeard wrote:
windsor wrote:Serious question Throaty...

Are there 'rights and wrongs' then or just style directives and ethnic differences? Are the 'rights' more basic than we (middle class white folk) think - limited perhaps to the structural level?

I spoke (as a child) Hungarian...and if my memory serves that verb placement was pretty liberal - using Hungarian structure for english would sound very 'wrong'

damn I'm glad I'm a geek not a English teacher.
I just spent 45 minutes on a fantastic answer to this question, and the board software ate it becuase it logged me out. I'm down for the night. Holler back at y'all some other time.
Damn - I would love to have read it. Bad Software...bad bad software
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » September 23rd, 2009, 9:26 am

DukieInKansas wrote:I just had to chime in. Your child, and CathyCA's child, are fortunate that they have a parent that can help them with grammar. What about the children in the class that don't have that advantage? I would expect the teacher in a language arts class to have a better grasp of the written word. If nothing else, the teacher should know the difference between students and student's. If the math or science teacher wrote this, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

My favorite story of teacher errors - my sister's either 4th or 5th grade teacher kept trying to correct the spelling of the city where my sister was born. She was born in Pittsburgh and the teacher kept telling her there was no h in Pittsburg. The teacher was ignoring the PA after the birthplace and was trying to make it KS. :D
Actually, DiK, depending on how old the teacher was, she might have been right. For many years, there was a dispute about whether or not to keep the "H". The government actually passed a law trying to standardize place names, and "burg" was the standard spelling. In school, I remember that some kids wanted to put an "H" on ALL towns that ended in "burg" (my neighborhood is one of those). And of course, when we learned that there are other Pittsburgs without the "H" (in KS and CA), we were all "WTF?!? Why can't you people figure this :poo: out?!? The stupid language is hard enough as it is, especially for the way us yinzers mangle it in Picksburg!!" (throaty, can I get an 'amen'? :D )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_Pittsburgh
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 23rd, 2009, 11:37 am

Turk wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I just had to chime in. Your child, and CathyCA's child, are fortunate that they have a parent that can help them with grammar. What about the children in the class that don't have that advantage? I would expect the teacher in a language arts class to have a better grasp of the written word. If nothing else, the teacher should know the difference between students and student's. If the math or science teacher wrote this, it wouldn't bother me nearly as much.

My favorite story of teacher errors - my sister's either 4th or 5th grade teacher kept trying to correct the spelling of the city where my sister was born. She was born in Pittsburgh and the teacher kept telling her there was no h in Pittsburg. The teacher was ignoring the PA after the birthplace and was trying to make it KS. :D
Actually, DiK, depending on how old the teacher was, she might have been right. For many years, there was a dispute about whether or not to keep the "H". The government actually passed a law trying to standardize place names, and "burg" was the standard spelling. In school, I remember that some kids wanted to put an "H" on ALL towns that ended in "burg" (my neighborhood is one of those). And of course, when we learned that there are other Pittsburgs without the "H" (in KS and CA), we were all "WTF?!? Why can't you people figure this :poo: out?!? The stupid language is hard enough as it is, especially for the way us yinzers mangle it in Picksburg!!" (throaty, can I get an 'amen'? :D )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_Pittsburgh

She wasn't that old. She was just in Kansas. :D
Life is good!