Any CrazieTalkers want to be CrazieWalkers?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Any CrazieTalkers want to be CrazieWalkers?

Post by wilson » September 6th, 2009, 3:50 pm

CathyCA wrote:I've been thinking about this, and if Sir Walter's name were spelled "Ralegh," wouldn't we pronounce it "Roliff?"
Actually, the true pronunciation was probably somewhere closer to "Rawley". It was rendered this way or in similar fashion on a regular basis.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 6th, 2009, 4:49 pm

wilson wrote: Both spellings have been accepted over the years (as with your misspelled state capital), but the true spelling is "Ralegh". :-B
Consider yourselves chastened, you upstart rapscallions. :ymhug:
I wish they kept the original spelling, because I'm always putting that damn "i" in the wrong spot. #-o
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 6th, 2009, 5:24 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I've been thinking about this, and if Sir Walter's name were spelled "Ralegh," wouldn't we pronounce it "Roliff?"
Actually, the true pronunciation was probably somewhere closer to "Rawley". It was rendered this way or in similar fashion on a regular basis.
True Raleighites pronounce it "RAW-ley." Those who haven't been there for generations pronounce it simply "RAH-ley."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 6th, 2009, 7:24 pm

CathyCA wrote:
wilson wrote:
True Raleighites pronounce it "RAW-ley." Those who haven't been there for generations pronounce it simply "RAH-ley."
Forgive me but Isn't this bordering upon the similiar problem that we ran into with die .vs. dye? Just trying to get it correct, just saying? :-? :D
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 6th, 2009, 10:06 pm

CathyCA wrote:
wilson wrote:
Of course, the 19th century "True Raleighites" may have pronounced it ROLLA.

Raleigh-ites or Raleighans (pronounced sort of like Raelians)?

"Raleigh" is more evidence that the "I before E" rule doesn't always work.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 7th, 2009, 9:43 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I have been bad, also. I am putting Saturday as my start day. Will report back.
I missed my starting date. Didn't get to walking until today. I determined I needed a purpose for the walk so took some silk flowers up to the cemetary to replace the faded ones on Mom & Dad's grave. Slightly over 3 miles today.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 8:07 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Sounds like a few people need to walk off Brunchgate from yesterday.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Did plenty of walking this weekend...while I was questing for the 'perfect pair of shoes' I picked up a nice pair of walking shoes on sale.

I'd say I'm averaging 3 miles a day - not exactly setting the world on fire but consistent.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 9th, 2009, 8:09 am

windsor wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Sounds like a few people need to walk off Brunchgate from yesterday.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Did plenty of walking this weekend...while I was questing for the 'perfect pair of shoes' I picked up a nice pair of walking shoes on sale.

I'd say I'm averaging 3 miles a day - not exactly setting the world on fire but consistent.
After 2 days of travel and then work, I did a nice morning 3.5 miles with Georgia. She should be calm all day... I hope.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 8:19 am

Does distance covered during my stress test Friday count toward my total :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 9th, 2009, 8:53 am

windsor wrote:
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))

3 miles a day is pretty impressive. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 9th, 2009, 8:54 am

windsor wrote:Does distance covered during my stress test Friday count toward my total :D
Depends on how long you walked for your stress test...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 9th, 2009, 8:58 am

devildeac wrote:
windsor wrote:Does distance covered during my stress test Friday count toward my total :D
Depends on how long you walked for your stress test...
It's this Friday - so I'm not sure...could be a ways....my cardiologist is an evil man :D who wants to make sure what he thinks is 'nothing' is nothing.