2014 Recruiting

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: 2014 Recruiting

Post by Bob Green » September 24th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Here is my latest literary effort (I know, don't quit my day job =)) )

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/09/frid ... -5-action/

It is a look at gridiron action with comments from some of our committed recruits. Enjoy and share.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Bob Green wrote:Here is my latest literary effort (I know, don't quit my day job =)) )

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/09/frid ... -5-action/

It is a look at gridiron action with comments from some of our committed recruits. Enjoy and share.
You have a day job?

:ymhug:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » September 30th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Here is my latest Friday Night Lights article, which starts off with an interview of Chris Taylor:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/09/frid ... interview/

Johnathan Lloyd (Southern Alamance HS) threw five TD passes and ran for two more on Friday night.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » October 15th, 2013, 6:46 am

DT Quaven Ferguson (6'3" 300) has committed. His 40 and shuttle times are slow and he has no other BCS offers. This is a diamond in the rough situation at a position of need. Hopefully the staff can develop his talent. Size and strength are his positives.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 15th, 2013, 8:02 am

Bob Green wrote:DT Quaven Ferguson (6'3" 300) has committed. His 40 and shuttle times are slow...
Pretty much to be expected with a 300 pound guy, right?
I'm not worried about whether he has other offers, Cutcliffe has a good knack for finding those diamonds. He has always stated though that he puts a high priority on speed, so it is still a quirky pickup.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » October 22nd, 2013, 4:15 pm

Nico Pierre interview for anyone interested:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/10/frid ... interview/
The Football Fan
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by The Football Fan » October 28th, 2013, 10:09 pm

I had a computer die and I lost the link to this site. I must have been typing crazytalk.net, cause I just couldn't find the site. I've missed it greatly. At any rate, on to the question at hand.

I've heard Holuba was no longer considering the blue devils despite the Cardinal filling their needs at DE already. I wonder if the recent win over V-Tech would have him reconsider us. Even if he does, do we still have room for anyone other than T. Lee? It's sounds like we're already maxed out.

It really seems like the staff is pumping the victory up to the 2015 recruits. We've been getting a couple 3-4 star guys every other year. We've seen few solid 4 star guys and nobody sniffing a top 50 recruit. This class this year has some of our better rated talent. I wonder if we can see a similar "upset" in the recruiting world in the coming class. It baffles me that Virginia keeps collecting these top, top recruits, except perhaps....

The other thing I think nobody has addressed that Coach has been working at is recruiting the student body. Despite loads of charisma from the coach and a pretty good product on the field, the student body attendance lags. While folks have commented on this, it's the link between the attendance and recruiting that I'd like to highlight. I think this will be the rate limiting step to building a true power in football. Wake Forest plateaued and if we don't see greater fan support I could see the same happening with us. We have a broader national appeal and name due to the success of the basketball team, so I think we have a higher ceiling and we could likely maintain that level as well as Stanford, but we need the fans to get behind this team.

Here's to hoping the NC State game will have a packed house!

But to others, what do you think holds us back from the really elite recruits? Will just a few more victories do the trick? Wake won the ACC and played in the orange bowl and they didn't exactly pull in a top 20 recruiting class. Virginia tanks and pulls it in. Miami has meager attendance, but they have other advantages.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » October 28th, 2013, 10:30 pm

The elite will have to be academic elites, too! ;;)

As for the student attendance and support, this topic has been discussed in many venues. There is a national trend of dropping attendance at many college sports events. There is also the matter of changing demographics of the Duke student body. Football is unknown to many. Technology has changed what appeals to many folks. Being able to manipulate what's going on is more appealing than actually seeing it happen. (I call this the Disney model.)

I think we're past the point of relying on the students to create the atmosphere. It's more critical to recruit fans of different ages who will buy tickets and actually use them! ;;)
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » November 3rd, 2013, 1:40 pm

Here is my latest Friday Night Lights article at Blue Devil Nation:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/frid ... e-as-nice/

The article includes quotes from Johnathan Lloyd, Trip McNeill, Nico Pierre and Chris Taylor. I hope you enjoy it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2013, 8:13 pm

Bob Green wrote:Here is my latest Friday Night Lights article at Blue Devil Nation:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/frid ... e-as-nice/

The article includes quotes from Johnathan Lloyd, Trip McNeill, Nico Pierre and Chris Taylor. I hope you enjoy it.
Always good stuff, Bob. Thanks!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » November 11th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Here is my latest Friday Night Lights article at BDN:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/frid ... n-wrap-up/

It contains a regular season wrap up and playoffs status for all 16 verbal commits.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Bob Green wrote:Here is my latest Friday Night Lights article at BDN:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/11/frid ... n-wrap-up/

It contains a regular season wrap up and playoffs status for all 16 verbal commits.
Thank you again for another update, Bob.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » November 29th, 2013, 2:59 pm

I don't know if anyone noticed, but Chris Taylor, a florida wr verbal commit to duke, is predicting Trevon Lee to Duke. Chris and Nicco, qb verbal from florida, have been pushing Trevon for awhile to commit. They have been selling him on being an awesome trio.

The prediction is in 247 sports crystal ball section.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 15th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Bob Green wrote:Johnathan Lloyd, a 3-Star Athlete per ESPN with an impressive offer list has verbally committed to Duke.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... than-lloyd
Article up on GoDuke.com about him. He has officially signed.
Johnathan Lloyd, a 6-0, 195-pound quarterback from Southern Alamance High School in Graham, N.C., has signed a financial aid agreement to attend Duke University and will join the football team for bowl preparation practices beginning Monday.

Pretty cool that he gets to start practice prior to the bowl game. :D
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... EM_ID=4200 :happy-bouncyblue:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 19th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Not our recruit (yet), but maybe we should send him a well-written letter.

http://deadspin.com/uvas-recruiting-let ... socialflow

(he's a 4 star DB/WR from California, and he might want to run-fast-away from his verbal commitment.) :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 20th, 2013, 10:36 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Not our recruit (yet), but maybe we should send him a well-written letter.

http://deadspin.com/uvas-recruiting-let ... socialflow

(he's a 4 star DB/WR from California, and he might want to run-fast-away from his verbal commitment.) :9f:
Wow...so deep.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 19th, 2014, 2:42 pm

DT Edgar Cerenord has verballed to Duke. He is a guy who could play as a true freshman. Along with redshirt freshman Mike Ramsey, a guy who might surprise some folks, this is two youngsters to press for immediate action at our position of biggest need. This is a huge get!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 19th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Bob Green wrote:DT Edgar Cerenord has verballed to Duke. He is a guy who could play as a true freshman. Along with redshirt freshman Mike Ramsey, a guy who might surprise some folks, this is two youngsters to press for immediate action at our position of biggest need. This is a huge get!
That is great news. Any stats?
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 19th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Bob Green wrote:DT Edgar Cerenord has verballed to Duke. He is a guy who could play as a true freshman. Along with redshirt freshman Mike Ramsey, a guy who might surprise some folks, this is two youngsters to press for immediate action at our position of biggest need. This is a huge get!
Can't beat what he could see and experience in Cameron yesterday! The football team being given a standing ovation, the publicity for the spring game... lots of football on a basketball game day! ;;)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 19th, 2014, 3:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
That is great news. Any stats?
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... r-cerenord

So that's the "EC" whose happy tweet I saw, how he couldn't wait to be back in May. Cool! The ESPN article I saw said he was a main recruiting target for Wake. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.