Buy Windows 7 Now!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Buy Windows 7 Now!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 11:27 pm

Trying ubuntu install with "run as administrator"...read that is the trick. Stupidest option ever.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 31st, 2009, 11:32 am

Just finished installing WIndows 7, pretty painless, I backed up more than I needed to, but didn't want to be sorry at the other end. I ran the easy transfer from vista, re ran it in 7 and it worked great. Loving 7, I did the 64bit. One driver left to find (for a coprocessor, no other info).
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 1st, 2009, 12:09 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: Since I have to do new install anyways..that's an option. I could try it, and then if it doesn't work just do it over again as 32bit. I would like the ability to cram a ton of RAM in it...just to see if there is a difference.

Could someone explain the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? Does your hardware determine which you use or can you choose yourself?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 1st, 2009, 12:14 pm

colchar wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Since I have to do new install anyways..that's an option. I could try it, and then if it doesn't work just do it over again as 32bit. I would like the ability to cram a ton of RAM in it...just to see if there is a difference.

Could someone explain the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? Does your hardware determine which you use or can you choose yourself?
To install a 64bit operating system, your computer has to have a 64bit processor. It is a faster system and does not have a 4GB limit on RAM that a 32bit system does (You can install at least up to 128GB of RAM!). Just because your OS might be 64bit does not mean that your software has to be, in fact most of your programs will be designed for 32bit systems. My computer that I just installed 7 on was sold with the 32bit version of Vista..which is a bit strange. I have 3GB of RAM in it now, but am sticking another 2GB in later today. I'm anxious to see if I actually notice any difference.
One note..64bit systems do not support 32bit drivers..although I don't have any driver issues on my computer after the install and I didn't have to go seeking any out, (I have one odd coprocessor driver missing, I don't know what device it's for) so I'm curious to how true that statement actually is. I would expected more problems in my device manager.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 1st, 2009, 12:16 pm

I am still considering switching to Windows 7. I am not having any issues with Vista but like the fact that Win 7 uses less resources. I can buy it at school under their academic licensing agreement (I wish I could get it free like I used to do with XP!). I am hoping that I can install it on more than one computer (my desktop and my laptop).

Because of all this I was wondering if those who have switched over already would mind writing some in-depth reviews for those of us who are considering making the switch?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 1st, 2009, 12:18 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: To install a 64bit operating system, your computer has to have a 64bit processor. It is a faster system and does not have a 4GB limit on RAM that a 32bit system does (You can install at least up to 128GB of RAM!). Just because your OS might be 64bit does not mean that your software has to be, in fact most of your programs will be designed for 32bit systems. My computer that I just installed 7 on was sold with the 32bit version of Vista..which is a bit strange. I have 3GB of RAM in it now, but am sticking another 2GB in later today. I'm anxious to see if I actually notice any difference.

This is the info on my desktop: Intel Core 2 CPU 6400@2.13GHZ.

Does that mean it is a 64 bit system?

I've only got 1GB of RAM but have been thinking of upgrading that for a while now.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 1st, 2009, 12:21 pm

colchar wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: To install a 64bit operating system, your computer has to have a 64bit processor. It is a faster system and does not have a 4GB limit on RAM that a 32bit system does (You can install at least up to 128GB of RAM!). Just because your OS might be 64bit does not mean that your software has to be, in fact most of your programs will be designed for 32bit systems. My computer that I just installed 7 on was sold with the 32bit version of Vista..which is a bit strange. I have 3GB of RAM in it now, but am sticking another 2GB in later today. I'm anxious to see if I actually notice any difference.

This is the info on my desktop: Intel Core 2 CPU 6400@2.13GHZ.

Does that mean it is a 64 bit system?

I've only got 1GB of RAM but have been thinking of upgrading that for a while now.
According to this site...http://www.intel.com/products/processor ... o+tab_spec your CPU is 64bit.
You need more ram if you are running Vista..you will notice a huge difference even if you only double it.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » November 1st, 2009, 12:55 pm

I ordered my copy of Windows 7 Friday night. (Ok, ok, I had dinner with my cousins up in the Boston area. He is an employee of the company and is getting it through the MSFT store. He had 4 others to order besides mine.)
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 3rd, 2009, 3:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: According to this site...http://www.intel.com/products/processor ... o+tab_spec your CPU is 64bit.
You need more ram if you are running Vista..you will notice a huge difference even if you only double it.

I checked my system using the upgrade thingy (the one that tells you if you can upgrade or not). Obviously my system passed but it says I need to do a custom install to upgrade to the 64 bit version (have to reinstall programs, etc.). Would this be because I am currently running the 32 bit version of Vista?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 3rd, 2009, 3:44 pm

colchar wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: According to this site...http://www.intel.com/products/processor ... o+tab_spec your CPU is 64bit.

I checked my system using the upgrade thingy (the one that tells you if you can upgrade or not). Obviously my system passed but it says I need to do a custom install to upgrade to the 64 bit version (have to reinstall programs, etc.). Would this be because I am currently running the 32 bit version of Vista?
Yes. If you do an Easy Transfer before the upgrade all of you documents and settings will be saved, but you do have to reinstall programs.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 3rd, 2009, 5:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
colchar wrote:

Yes. If you do an Easy Transfer before the upgrade all of you documents and settings will be saved, but you do have to reinstall programs.

Does it enable me to do an Easy Transfer or would I have to use one of my external hard-drives to store stuff when doing that (not a big deal but would have to delete a whole bunch of garbage from one of them first)?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 3rd, 2009, 5:18 pm

colchar wrote: Does it enable me to do an Easy Transfer or would I have to use one of my external hard-drives to store stuff when doing that (not a big deal but would have to delete a whole bunch of garbage from one of them first)?
You CAN save it to a folder on your local drive...the upgrade will not format your drive. But I'd recommend saving it to an external drive just for backup reasons in case something goes wrong.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 3rd, 2009, 6:54 pm

colchar wrote: Does it enable me to do an Easy Transfer or would I have to use one of my external hard-drives to store stuff when doing that (not a big deal but would have to delete a whole bunch of garbage from one of them first)?
You CAN save it to a folder on your local drive...the upgrade will not format your drive. But I'd recommend saving it to an external drive just for backup reasons in case something goes wrong.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've got two external drives and can back stuff up on either of those so long as I clean some junk off of it first.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 3rd, 2009, 7:02 pm

Once you are done, you will have an old windows folder. When you are sure you got everything back you wanted, you should delete it. Mine is huge, over 40GB!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 3rd, 2009, 7:04 pm

colchar wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant. I've got two external drives and can back stuff up on either of those so long as I clean some junk off of it first.
Question - if you use the backup software with your hard disks, will it actually save the program files and when you restore (in the event you still don't have the program CDs) and will the program work like you installed it from the CDs? I haven't had time to try, so I thought I'd ask! :-? :-? :-?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 3rd, 2009, 7:06 pm

Another question - I saw one of those pop-ups today for Windows 7 and it said click here for free trial download. I didn't click but thought of all ya all, so my question is for those that have got Windows 7, are you happy with it and notice better performance? For DA, is the initial performance gain short lived until things start getting bogged down or does the new OS have staying power?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 3rd, 2009, 7:44 pm

cl15876 wrote: Question - if you use the backup software with your hard disks, will it actually save the program files and when you restore (in the event you still don't have the program CDs) and will the program work like you installed it from the CDs? I haven't had time to try, so I thought I'd ask! :-? :-? :-?
It depends on how you backup. If you do a FULL backup, including system state, then it should restore everything. Also, some external drives include backup software that creates an image that can be restored using a provided boot cd.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm

cl15876 wrote: Question - if you use the backup software with your hard disks, will it actually save the program files and when you restore (in the event you still don't have the program CDs) and will the program work like you installed it from the CDs? I haven't had time to try, so I thought I'd ask! :-? :-? :-?
It depends on how you backup. If you do a FULL backup, including system state, then it should restore everything. Also, some external drives include backup software that creates an image that can be restored using a provided boot cd.
Interesting.... even though you are switching OS's it won't create a problem. That's great to know! I'll have to play with that someday. Thanks CB&B!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 3rd, 2009, 7:55 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Interesting.... even though you are switching OS's it won't create a problem. That's great to know! I'll have to play with that someday. Thanks CB&B!
Wait..I misunderstood your question, I think. Unless you do a straight upgrade, you will have to reinstall all your software that is not built in. I was talking about just backing up and recovery within the same OS.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 3rd, 2009, 8:06 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:"quote="cl15876""
Question - if you use the backup software with your hard disks, will it actually save the program files and when you restore (in the event you still don't have the program CDs) and will the program work like you installed it from the CDs? I haven't had time to try, so I thought I'd ask! :-? :-? :-?"/quote"
Wait..I misunderstood your question, I think. Unless you do a straight upgrade, you will have to reinstall all your software that is not built in. I was talking about just backing up and recovery within the same OS.
ahh haaa! thanks for clarification followup!