Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Post by Lavabe » August 11th, 2009, 9:51 am

Ben63 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I think USA and Mexico play this week. There sure is a lot of advertising for it.
Can someone please explain to me why this game is not on ESPN or FSC? I'm going to have to watch it on Telemundo and even worse in low-def. Pitiful. And I'm leaving work early so I can catch kickoff.
What about 360?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 11th, 2009, 1:21 pm

Join the DBR league! It starts in 3 days.
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 11th, 2009, 5:03 pm

CellR wrote:Join the DBR league! It starts in 3 days.
Might want to PM BlueDevilJay directly.

100 million pounds is not enough to run a team.
:-B
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Ben63 » August 11th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Lavabe wrote:
What about 360?

Nope.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 11th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:

Haha. good point.
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 11th, 2009, 8:36 pm

CellR wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Haha. good point.
And don't forget ForeverBlowingBubbles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 12th, 2009, 7:11 am

So I guess we have to watch it on telemundo.

Given the US record in the Azteca, I am not looking forward to the outcome. Then again, who'd have thought the US would make it to the finals down in South Africa?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 4:42 pm

1-1 about a third of the way into the game. I don't even have Telemundo here, so I'm stuck following it on ESPN.com.
Would be lots of fun to win this one and all but knock the Tricolores out of the Cup, but that's gonna be really tough to do.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 5:47 pm

DAMMIT. Mexico goes up 2-1 in the 82nd minute.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 12th, 2009, 5:48 pm

wilson wrote:Would be lots of fun to win this one and all but knock the Tricolores out of the Cup, but that's gonna be really tough to do.
Goal for Mexico, 2-1 in the 82nd minute.

While I was gone, they didn't play THAT many games, did they? I thought today was the 6th game played for each CONCACAF team, right? They each have to play 10 games. The top 3 qualify.

The US was playing four corners/stall ball, and getting lots of yellow cards. UGH!! We'll see if that changes now that Mexico has the lead.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 5:55 pm

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:Would be lots of fun to win this one and all but knock the Tricolores out of the Cup, but that's gonna be really tough to do.

While I was gone, they didn't play THAT many games, did they? I thought today was the 6th game played for each CONCACAF team, right? They each have to play 10 games. The top 3 qualify.

The US was playing four corners/stall ball, and getting lots of yellow cards. UGH!! We'll see if that changes now that Mexico has the lead.
You're right; this is the sixth game for both. But coming into this match, Mexico sat in 4th place in CONCACAF, and they still won't catch Sam's Army even if they win today. They're gonna be in a dogfight to avoid the playoff with the 4th-place CONMEBOL team.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 12th, 2009, 5:58 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

You're right; this is the sixth game for both. But coming into this match, Mexico sat in 4th place in CONCACAF, and they still won't catch Sam's Army even if they win today. They're gonna be in a dogfight to avoid the playoff with the 4th-place CONMEBOL team.
It's final. 2-1 Mexico. Can't figure out whom to root for in Costa Rica vs. Honduras.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Lavabe wrote: It's final. 2-1 Mexico. Can't figure out whom to root for in Costa Rica vs. Honduras.
I'm for Honduras. I really don't like the way Mexico always addresses us, and I'd love to see them stay home and watch us in South Africa.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 12th, 2009, 11:04 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote: It's final. 2-1 Mexico. Can't figure out whom to root for in Costa Rica vs. Honduras.
I'm for Honduras. I really don't like the way Mexico always addresses us, and I'd love to see them stay home and watch us in South Africa.
I would've prefered Costa Rica only because we still get them at home, whereas we have to travel to Honduras. The good news is that we have two very winnable games coming up (vs. El Salvador and @ TT). After that it's Honduras on the road and Costa Rica in the U.S.

We're still in good shape. Mexico--both as a team and as a country--is very much bothered by the reality that the United States has passed it as a soccer team. The 2-0 ass-kicking that we delivered in the 2002 World Cup Round of 16 (and the dirty, dirty play that came from the Mexican side) was the straw that broke the camels back. Today's game changes nothing about that. In one of the most difficult venues in the world to play in (7,200 feet in the Mexico City smog) the U.S. was 6 minutes away from a draw. Back in February, a U.S. team that was nowhere near as good as the current squad, dismantled Mexico on a cold Columbus night. We are the region's power and that kills them.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 13th, 2009, 7:49 am

rockymtn devil wrote: We're still in good shape. Mexico--both as a team and as a country--is very much bothered by the reality that the United States has passed it as a soccer team. The 2-0 ass-kicking that we delivered in the 2002 World Cup Round of 16 (and the dirty, dirty play that came from the Mexican side) was the straw that broke the camels back. Today's game changes nothing about that. In one of the most difficult venues in the world to play in (7,200 feet in the Mexico City smog) the U.S. was 6 minutes away from a draw. Back in February, a U.S. team that was nowhere near as good as the current squad, dismantled Mexico on a cold Columbus night. We are the region's power and that kills them.
Agreed on all of this. I should also confess that I have a soft spot for Honduras, having traveled there three times. But yes, we're now overtaking Mexico if we haven't already done so. I might say that the Gold Cup final result indicates we're not all the way there yet, but Sam's Army is on its way, and Mexico's continued lack of sportsmanship is as telling as game results to me.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 14th, 2009, 11:42 am

Not that this affected the US the other day, BUT:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2009, 11:41 pm

purely PWing here. I haven't watched any futbol for years since my son quit playing...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 14th, 2009, 11:44 pm

devildeac wrote:purely PWing here. I haven't watched any futbol for years since my son quit playing...
Haha, well tomorrow is the day for you! The Premier League starts the season at around 7:45 AM Eastern tomorrow morning if I'm not mistaken. So now is the perfect time to get back into it!
Class of 2014
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 12:02 am

I haven't been to a Revs game yet this season.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 4:30 pm

As a Liverpool fan, I have to say, this was an UGLY game (and a beautiful one as well):

Opening game: Everton 1 - Arsenal 6.

That's right, 6! It was 0-3 at the half. Goodison Park emptied out quickly. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: