Need help from the computer folks...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Need help from the computer folks...

Post by bjornolf » October 3rd, 2012, 6:18 am

DevilAlumna wrote: Do you really have that many blu-ray movies that having a DVD drive to watch them on your laptop matters a lot? I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of any entertainment form (making an exception for some reference books, I'm old school there.)

To specifically address some of your decision points: Video/photo editing is processing intensive, so I'd go for the middle one of your three i7 choices. I always believe the "best of breed" option is overpriced, no matter the item you're considering, hence my middle option; that said, for RAM, I'd say get the most you can. $200 to go from 8GB to 16GB doesn't strike me as too bad, and although you may be able to upgrade aftermarket, you wouldn't be saving that much. I have no opinions on the networking card. I'd look for reviews to see if there's any appreciable difference in features or quality/problems.

You seem determined to buy now, but I still encourage you to wait until the Win8 hardware comes out. I think if you intend to keep this machine for >3 years, you'll be wanting Win8, and forthat, you'll want a touch screen. You can find touchscreen laptops now, but Win8 will be coming commercially available at the end of this month. Most of the focus to date has been around tablet (ipad) hardware,u so actual laptops haven't gotten much press, but HP, Dell, Lenovo have all started giving previews of what's to come. And even if you decide you still want the current HP model you're eyeing, my guess is its price will have dropped even more once the new stuff is available. YMMV.
Most of my movies are on DVD and Blu-Ray. I have hundreds of them. I'm not a fan of streaming or downloading movies. They are mostly still not true HD because of compression, and we watch movies on my dad's 106" screen, where it's actually noticeable. They just don't look, or sound, right. Mostly, I want a burner for home movies though. We have a lot of family that is not tech savvy. They have dvd players, but not the computers or internet speeds to deal with movies, and they love movies of the kids.

Ugh, touchscreen laptops? Part of the reason I want a new laptop is because my ipad drives me crazy sometimes. My big fingers just can't hit the right thing all the time. If that's the best they've got for the new generation of computers, no thanks. I'll stay in the past.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 3rd, 2012, 7:51 am

bjornolf wrote:Ugh, touchscreen laptops? Part of the reason I want a new laptop is because my ipad drives me crazy sometimes. My big fingers just can't hit the right thing all the time. If that's the best they've got for the new generation of computers, no thanks. I'll stay in the past.
I am with you 1000% on touch screen laptops. I work on my laptop, and what I do is keyboard intenstive. I have a tablet, which is great for certain stuff...but I do NOT want a touch screen latop. My laptop right now is driving 2 27" monitors and I"m using every bit of both. I don't want to move my hands off they keyboard area to touch the stupid screen all the time.
I wouldn't wait for Win8.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » October 3rd, 2012, 10:22 pm

windsor wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Ugh, touchscreen laptops? Part of the reason I want a new laptop is because my ipad drives me crazy sometimes. My big fingers just can't hit the right thing all the time. If that's the best they've got for the new generation of computers, no thanks. I'll stay in the past.
I am with you 1000% on touch screen laptops. I work on my laptop, and what I do is keyboard intenstive. I have a tablet, which is great for certain stuff...but I do NOT want a touch screen latop. My laptop right now is driving 2 27" monitors and I"m using every bit of both. I don't want to move my hands off they keyboard area to touch the stupid screen all the time.
Not suggesting anyone give up a keyboard - yikes, goodness no! :-o
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 4th, 2012, 7:47 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
windsor wrote:
Not suggesting anyone give up a keyboard - yikes, goodness no! :-o
Going from keyboard to touchscreen and back to keyboard is a royal pain in ass!!!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » October 7th, 2012, 9:42 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Sorry. I posted all of that when I started this thread, but I realize that was months ago. I don't do much gaming on pc. I'm mostly a console guy when it comes to that, though that's pretty much due to my never having owned a laptop that didn't suffer nasty slow downs during gaming b/c 99% of mobile processors just weren't up to the task, at least the ones I could afford. My pc gaming is mostly limited to solitaire, minefield, and maybe the occasional word scrambling game on facebook. I do a lot of photo and family home video editing and uploading, though.

I'd pretty much settled on the HP Envy, mostly because it was the only decent laptop w/ a bluray drive and a 17" HD screen. I'm not overly worried about carrying it around. I use my ipad for that mostly. If a good lenovo/thinkpad comes out with 17" screen, I'd look into it though. The only one their site had said it was out of stock and they didn't know when it would come back.

As for waiting, I'm kind of reaching critical mass. I've put off getting one for three months now and limping along with my ipad as I've basically been afraid of pulling the trigger and getting the wrong thing. However, I have things I need a real computer for now that the kids are back in school. I MIGHT be able to hold off. Is there anything awesomely new coming out, or will it basically be the same hardware with the new OS?

Thanks.
bjornolf wrote:Finally got my shit together and am picking a laptop. Just a few quick questions about options:

1. Big price jump from 8 to 12 to 16 GBs RAM, basically $100/jump. Is it worth the jump? Will I notice a difference? I assume I want at least 12, but what about the 16?
2. Big price jump to go from i7 2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 cache to i7 2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 cache to i7 2.7 GHz, 8MB L3 cache processor (+/- $200/jump). Again, is it worth the price? Would I notice? Best to go with middle one?
3. If I had to choose between 12 GBs with suped up processor v. 16 with middle or bottom one, which?
3. Intel 2x2 v. 3x3 802.11 WLAN. Not such a big price jump, but how much difference will it make?
4. 1TB 5400RPM drive v. 750GB 7200RPM hybrid drive. Price difference is negligible. Doubt I'll fill up the 750, let alone 1TB. Which drive is more reliable? Will I ever notice the speed difference?
5. Windows 7 home premium v. pro v. ultimate? Price difference is big. All in 64 bit. I think I know this one.

Thanks so much.
Do you really have that many blu-ray movies that having a DVD drive to watch them on your laptop matters a lot? I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of any entertainment form (making an exception for some reference books, I'm old school there.)

To specifically address some of your decision points: Video/photo editing is processing intensive, so I'd go for the middle one of your three i7 choices. I always believe the "best of breed" option is overpriced, no matter the item you're considering, hence my middle option; that said, for RAM, I'd say get the most you can. $200 to go from 8GB to 16GB doesn't strike me as too bad, and although you may be able to upgrade aftermarket, you wouldn't be saving that much. I have no opinions on the networking card. I'd look for reviews to see if there's any appreciable difference in features or quality/problems.

You seem determined to buy now, but I still encourage you to wait until the Win8 hardware comes out. I think if you intend to keep this machine for >3 years, you'll be wanting Win8, and forthat, you'll want a touch screen. You can find touchscreen laptops now, but Win8 will be coming commercially available at the end of this month. Most of the focus to date has been around tablet (ipad) hardware,u so actual laptops haven't gotten much press, but HP, Dell, Lenovo have all started giving previews of what's to come. And even if you decide you still want the current HP model you're eyeing, my guess is its price will have dropped even more once the new stuff is available. YMMV.
My rule of thumb is to pay for the processor, staying one level below the top end "best of breed." Go with the 12GB memory; it shouldn't be too hard to add more later if you need it, as DA pointed out. Don't worry about disk - I think they're commodity parts and reliability isn't much of an issue any more. That's what backups are for, and there are a bazillion external storage choices. I have an HP at work now with Win7 Enterprise and I like it. I'm thinking the Envy you've laid out is a good choice.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 26th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Okay, so I waited for Windows 8. So, what are the problems with it and what patches do I need and how long before they come out?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2012, 2:39 pm

bjornolf wrote:Okay, so I waited for Windows 8. So, what are the problems with it and what patches do I need and how long before they come out?
It just came out today, it will be a few weeks before anyone has those answers.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » October 27th, 2012, 11:50 am

bjornolf wrote:Okay, so I waited for Windows 8. So, what are the problems with it and what patches do I need and how long before they come out?
It's perfect, of course. :p

;)