The Official Irene Go The Hell Away Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: The Official Irene Go The Hell Away Thread

Post by DukePA » August 26th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Stevo, The Great Skalootie and I are in Efland. VDB cooked a killer good dinner : )
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 26th, 2011, 11:42 pm

DukePA wrote:Stevo, The Great Skalootie and I are in Efland. VDB cooked a killer good dinner : )
Yay! Glad that y'all are safe, and together. :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 27th, 2011, 7:17 am

Good morning. I woke up at 6:40 and looked out the window to see what I could see this morning, and it didn't look like it was raining, so I went out to get the paper (which is left on the mail box at the end of the driveway.) When I actually went outside, it was windy, with about a 3 or 4 club wind and a light drizzle falling. I think we've had a little less than 2 inches of rain overnight. There was a limb broken off my next door neighbor's medium-sized tree (it fell in his yard, not mine). The eye is about to make landfall at Morehead City as a Cat. 1 hurricane. The wind and light to occasionally moderate rain should continue here for several hours as Irene makes its way northward.

WRAL is showing the reporters at Atlantic Beach and Wrightsville Beach. Not too bad so far.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 27th, 2011, 7:20 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
WRAL is showing the reporters at Atlantic Beach and Wrightsville Beach. Not too bad so far.
WXII has their's in Morehead. She interviewed a storm freak early this morning that had driven in from Texas.

I think I'd wish to find another hobby. :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 27th, 2011, 7:28 am

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2011, 8:03 am

Watching live feed from home, witntv.com. Landfall was 14 miles from my home. They are reporting that you can smell sap in the air from broken limbs and trees.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 27th, 2011, 8:37 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Watching live feed from home, witntv.com. Landfall was 14 miles from my home. They are reporting that you can smell sap in the air from broken limbs and trees.
Is there anyone you can call to see if your house is OK?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 27th, 2011, 8:42 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Watching live feed from home, witntv.com. Landfall was 14 miles from my home. They are reporting that you can smell sap in the air from broken limbs and trees.
Why are you posting and asking CB&B the question instead of asking him directly? I thought he was staying with you? ;) ;) =)) =))
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 27th, 2011, 9:28 am

devildeac wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
Why are you posting and asking CB&B the question instead of asking him directly? I thought he was staying with you? ;) ;) =)) =))
For me to know and you to find out. :)) :)) :)) =)) :ymdevil:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 27th, 2011, 9:41 am

You want to know what woke me up this morning? My ears popped. It hurt! Do you suppose the drop in air pressure did that?

We're getting lots of rain and wind. The back yard looks like a pond. I have no idea how much rain we've gotten, but it's a lot. Debris keeps hitting the north side of the house. I can see lots of leaves and small tree branches all over the yard. I think that the wasp nest is fairly well protected from the wind, so it will likely still be there after the storm passes.

My gutters aren't handling the rain. I probably should have gotten them cleaned out prior to the storm, but I just got them cleaned out this spring.

With regard to my bathtub. . . although I filled it last night, it is holding only about 2 inches of water this morning. Apparently, I have a slow leak in the stopper mechanism. I'm not sure if that's worth fixing or not. The next time I need to save water for a storm, I'll do it in those huge plastic buckets that we used for the kids' toys when they were little.

This isn't the worst hurricane I've ever seen. We still have electricity, cable/internet/telephone, air conditioning, refrigeration/freezer, microwave. It's still VERY scary.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 27th, 2011, 9:52 am

CathyCA wrote:You want to know what woke me up this morning? My ears popped. It hurt! Do you suppose the drop in air pressure did that?

We're getting lots of rain and wind. The back yard looks like a pond. I have no idea how much rain we've gotten, but it's a lot. Debris keeps hitting the north side of the house. I can see lots of leaves and small tree branches all over the yard. I think that the wasp nest is fairly well protected from the wind, so it will likely still be there after the storm passes.

My gutters aren't handling the rain. I probably should have gotten them cleaned out prior to the storm, but I just got them cleaned out this spring.

With regard to my bathtub. . . although I filled it last night, it is holding only about 2 inches of water this morning. Apparently, I have a slow leak in the stopper mechanism. I'm not sure if that's worth fixing or not. The next time I need to save water for a storm, I'll do it in those huge plastic buckets that we used for the kids' toys when they were little.

This isn't the worst hurricane I've ever seen. We still have electricity, cable/internet/telephone, air conditioning, refrigeration/freezer, microwave. It's still VERY scary.

Sounds like when Fran blew through central NC in 1996 with 75-80 MPH winds and 9+ inches of rain in< 24 hours. We lost power though about 1 AM that day. Very scary indeed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 27th, 2011, 10:24 am

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:You want to know what woke me up this morning? My ears popped. It hurt! Do you suppose the drop in air pressure did that?

Sounds like when Fran blew through central NC in 1996 with 75-80 MPH winds and 9+ inches of rain in< 24 hours. We lost power though about 1 AM that day. Very scary indeed.
Your ears popped? Wow! Definitely the low pressure! For your tub drain leak, get a ~3" wide flat rubber stopper to put over the drain plug - no more leak!

I've gotten 2"+ of rain with light to moderate showers and 20 - 30 mph wind continuing. I went to McDonald's an hour ago to get some breakfast.

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 27th, 2011, 11:32 am

devildeac wrote:
That night, a co-worker and I were unloading cars :twitch: at Crossroads Ford. Before loading, we had requested for a trip going in a different direction, to futile results. We were told that these loads HAD to go. Bullshit. Regardless, we went. It'll never happen again.

Hwy64, at that time, was 2-lane from Siler City to Cary. I had a delay in Pittsboro due to a downed tree on the way. Unloading at the dealer, the rain was like someone throwing nails at you. It was very tough to climb all over that rig with the wind blowing as it was. Glad I didn't fall. Cars were floating in the median of the beltline at Buck Jones Rd exit.

On the way home back along 64, we would move a couple of miles, then stop and wait 30-40 minutes for a tree across the road to be cut up. This happened 3 or 4 times. But when we crossed out of Wake and into Chatham, nobody was cutting trees, and we sat still at the first blowdown all the rest of the night/morning.

Our return was about 4pm the next afternoon. Our management had the gall to expect and order us to pick another trip, load and go, after we got back. What jerks! We told that set of dispatchers what trip they could pick for themselves...and we went home. No repercussions.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 27th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Just wanted to send well wishes to any of you who are in the path of this storm. I hope you all ride it out as safely as can be.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » August 27th, 2011, 3:15 pm

Chilling here in NJ, bored and just waiting for this thing to pass. Sounds like the wind may not be too bad, but the massive amount of rain will make things messy as we've already had the wettest August on record. Two smaller storms recently have knocked power out for 3 and 9 hours, so I have to think we'll lose it this time. Bored.
-- DukeUsul
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » August 27th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Well, I have been unable to open crazietalk for about 10 days. It wasn't my firewall (thanks for the suggestion, Ozzie) and I had been procrastinating calling my provider's help desk (I hate having to call technical support). Our power has been blinking here close to downtown Raleigh all day, then totally went out for about 30 seconds causing everything, including my router, to reboot. As soon as I got back online, I was able to get in.

So thanks, Irene, for one piece of help, but please move out quickly. We have a place on the Pungo River outside of Belhaven, NC (my grandparents' home) and I'm anxiously waiting to hear how bad the damage is. John went down last week to batten down the hatches and bring back the riding mower. He'll probably go back early next week to assess. In the meantime, I'm sending stay-safe vibes to all of you down east and hoping for nothing too insurmountable.

Now back to catching up on my crazietalk reading.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 27th, 2011, 4:34 pm

shereec wrote:Well, I have been unable to open crazietalk for about 10 days. It wasn't my firewall (thanks for the suggestion, Ozzie) and I had been procrastinating calling my provider's help desk (I hate having to call technical support). Our power has been blinking here close to downtown Raleigh all day, then totally went out for about 30 seconds causing everything, including my router, to reboot. As soon as I got back online, I was able to get in.

So thanks, Irene, for one piece of help, but please move out quickly. We have a place on the Pungo River outside of Belhaven, NC (my grandparents' home) and I'm anxiously waiting to hear how bad the damage is. John went down last week to batten down the hatches and bring back the riding mower. He'll probably go back early next week to assess. In the meantime, I'm sending stay-safe vibes to all of you down east and hoping for nothing too insurmountable.

Now back to catching up on my crazietalk reading.
When in doubt, reboot! But I'd get rid of that router. It's obviously been infected by carolina cooties! :9f:

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 27th, 2011, 6:24 pm

We lost power for about 5 and a half hours. That's so much better than the 5 days we were without power when Fran blew through Raleigh in 1996.

It's still raining here, and it's a little breezy. I stepped out and took a few pictures of my new back yard pond about an hour ago. We have tons of branches and leaves down in the yard. I realized that I don't own a rake, so I'll be heading out to WalMart upon dawn's early light tomorrow morning to buy a few rakes.

My wireless internet keeps going out. Christian is able to stay online but he's hard-wired in to the internet. Do you suppose it's my wireless router?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2011, 6:56 pm

CathyCA wrote:We lost power for about 5 and a half hours. That's so much better than the 5 days we were without power when Fran blew through Raleigh in 1996.

It's still raining here, and it's a little breezy. I stepped out and took a few pictures of my new back yard pond about an hour ago. We have tons of branches and leaves down in the yard. I realized that I don't own a rake, so I'll be heading out to WalMart upon dawn's early light tomorrow morning to buy a few rakes.

My wireless internet keeps going out. Christian is able to stay online but he's hard-wired in to the internet. Do you suppose it's my wireless router?

Yes.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 27th, 2011, 10:13 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:We lost power for about 5 and a half hours. That's so much better than the 5 days we were without power when Fran blew through Raleigh in 1996.

Yes.
I've been watching it, and I think it's my SuddenLink modem. The router's lights are lit up correctly. The modem's lights keep flickering out. I'm calling SuddenLink tomorrow to get a guy over here to replace my modem. I'm hard-wired in to the internet now on my laptop, but I can't go on like this forever.

I get the DTs when I can't access the internet.

~ James Naismith