The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 16th, 2011, 1:44 pm

captmojo wrote:My lay-off status didn't last 24 hours. Doesn't matter though. BUTT has yet to be repaired. So, I'm in waiting. :-w
that was quick!! I'm glad you're once again employed. :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 16th, 2011, 6:55 pm

captmojo wrote:My lay-off status didn't last 24 hours. Doesn't matter though. BUTT has yet to be repaired. So, I'm in waiting. :-w
Good news on the lay-off, captmojo! Hopefully your BUTT will be up and running soon. :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 16th, 2011, 8:35 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
When will the BUTT be up and running, so to speak?
:9f:
Word is, that when the driveshaft fell out, it did a lot of damage to components through the undercarriage of the trailer.(air tanks were punctured, ABS system parts were destroyed, etc.) They aren't sure they are willing to spend the money it would cost to repair. That would be a shame because they have already spent a lot to make it roadworthy before I got in it.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 17th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Wow! Definitely a relief. I'm marking you off my worry list. Congrats! It's a beautiful day to enjoy and make the most off while you wait for BUTT repair!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 17th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Wow! Definitely a relief. I'm marking you off my worry list. Congrats! It's a beautiful day to enjoy and make the most off while you wait for BUTT repair!
Love, Ima
Is anyone else thinking hemorrhoidectomy?

=))

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » May 17th, 2011, 8:53 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Wow! Definitely a relief. I'm marking you off my worry list. Congrats! It's a beautiful day to enjoy and make the most off while you wait for BUTT repair!
Love, Ima
Is anyone else thinking hemorrhoidectomy?

=))

hell yeah! Good one, Cathy!!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 20th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I received a Facebook message from a friend who works for one of my target companies. She asked if I'd be interested in a position in either Framingham, MA or Foster City, CA. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 21st, 2011, 10:03 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I received a Facebook message from a friend who works for one of my target companies. She asked if I'd be interested in a position in either Framingham, MA or Foster City, CA. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
YES! YES! YES! You would absolutely be interested in the Foster City job. It's located just south of San Francisco in San Mateo County. Foster City is a few miles north of San Jose and its Silicon Valley It's expensive to live there, but you're paying for the weather and the beautiful scenery.

Do you know James Armstrong? He's one of the founders of OY. He lives in Foster City and could give you lots of information on where to live and things to do out there.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 21st, 2011, 10:07 am

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I received a Facebook message from a friend who works for one of my target companies. She asked if I'd be interested in a position in either Framingham, MA or Foster City, CA. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
YES! YES! YES! You would absolutely be interested in the Foster City job. It's located just south of San Francisco in San Mateo County. Foster City is a few miles north of San Jose and its Silicon Valley It's expensive to live there, but you're paying for the weather and the beautiful scenery.

Do you know James Armstrong? He's one of the founders of OY. He lives in Foster City and could give you lots of information on where to live and things to do out there.

Thanks for the info, Cathy! I thought you'd have info on the area.

My friend forwarded my CV to a couple of people in the company and will let me know what she finds out. I'm most anxious to hear. Especially after finding out yesterday that my boss is sending the lab's newest employee (been here less than a month) to the big professional conference that I normally get to attend. Yeah, that's the thanks I get for canceling my vacation and working weekends. X(
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 24th, 2011, 6:58 pm

I received a colleague today, telling me that another of my target companies is hiring about 6 people - one of whom will be stationed in the Midwest. He forwarded my CV to someone that works with the company. So, I now have a CV being forwarded to a hiring person from someone who works in the company. That should help my odds. :YMPRAY:
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 24th, 2011, 9:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I received a colleague today, telling me that another of my target companies is hiring about 6 people - one of whom will be stationed in the Midwest. He forwarded my CV to someone that works with the company. So, I now have a CV being forwarded to a hiring person from someone who works in the company. That should help my odds. :YMPRAY:
:-BD :-BD :Clap: :Clap: :wizard: :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 27th, 2011, 10:34 am

Just finished sending out another cover letter and CV: this time for the previously mentioned position at the CDC in Atlanta.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 27th, 2011, 11:15 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Just finished sending out another cover letter and CV: this time for the previously mentioned position at the CDC in Atlanta.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

There are flights from central NC to Atlanta all the time (in fact, if you die in NC, you have a connecting flight in either direction through Atlanta) so you could come see us! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 6th, 2011, 2:41 pm

A colleague gave my name to a head hunter, and I was just contacted about a position in San Juan Capistrano, CA. She's going to forward my CV to them. It will be interesting to see if I hear from them. Not sure how I feel about SoCal, but it can't hurt to get more information about the position.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 6th, 2011, 3:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:A colleague gave my name to a head hunter, and I was just contacted about a position in San Juan Capistrano, CA. She's going to forward my CV to them. It will be interesting to see if I hear from them. Not sure how I feel about SoCal, but it can't hurt to get more information about the position.
Well, if it's Quest Diagnostics, then that's a fairly solid company. San Juan Capistrano is in a beautiful area, right between San Clemente and Laguna Nigel--not a shabby place. They have the swallows who return to the mission each year, and they also have the beach. You'd be less than an hour from Disneyland.

You should feel very good about SoCal.

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 6th, 2011, 4:42 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:A colleague gave my name to a head hunter, and I was just contacted about a position in San Juan Capistrano, CA. She's going to forward my CV to them. It will be interesting to see if I hear from them. Not sure how I feel about SoCal, but it can't hurt to get more information about the position.
Well, if it's Quest Diagnostics, then that's a fairly solid company. San Juan Capistrano is in a beautiful area, right between San Clemente and Laguna Nigel--not a shabby place. They have the swallows who return to the mission each year, and they also have the beach. You'd be less than an hour from Disneyland.

You're good, Cathy - that's the company. Good to know that it's a solid one. According to a cost of living index that I looked at online, the cost of living is about 50% higher there than in StL. It will be interesting to see 1) if I hear from them, and 2) if the salary makes it worth further consideration.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 6th, 2011, 5:30 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

You're good, Cathy - that's the company. Good to know that it's a solid one. According to a cost of living index that I looked at online, the cost of living is about 50% higher there than in StL. It will be interesting to see 1) if I hear from them, and 2) if the salary makes it worth further consideration.
Cathy is in the wrong line of work, she needs to be a private investigator.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 6th, 2011, 9:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Cathy is in the wrong line of work, she needs to be a private investigator.
I do plenty of PI work in my job. I also have a PI with whom I consult regularly--on professional and personal matters.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 6th, 2011, 9:18 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

When you hear from them, use this calculator to help make your decision: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/sav ... lator.aspx

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 7th, 2011, 5:37 am

CathyCA wrote:
When you hear from them, use this calculator to help make your decision: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/sav ... lator.aspx

Having moved a lot I find such calculators interesting, usually, it is real estate that is the main driver of the cost of living differences with a minor impact from healthcare. For example, I'm paying the same for phone, cable, internet here in Cincy as in Boston. Maybe eating out for dinner varies also now that I think about it, but I don't do that a whole lot.