I was insulted on the DBR OT board

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: I was insulted on the DBR OT board

Post by rockymtn devil » May 27th, 2009, 10:32 pm

colchar wrote:That moron has no credibility at all and is so stupid as to think playoff performance somehow helps determine draft order. If I could still post over yonder I'd give him a good lesson in hockey facts - Canuck style.
How do they do it?

My understanding is that the NHL operates in a similar fashion as the NBA. The non-playoff teams draft order is determined by a weighted lottery. The final four picks are granted to the conference finals participants in reverse order. From there, division winners are placed in reverse order based on regular season points. Finally, non-division-winning-playoff teams are placed.

If that's right, then the Hurricanes win over the Devils did not dictate that they would pick below New Jersey. But, the Canes' series win over Boston did push Carolina below the Devils. The Canes should pick 27 and playoff performance has some impact on their place in the draft.

Am I wrong?
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 28th, 2009, 2:52 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
colchar wrote:That moron has no credibility at all and is so stupid as to think playoff performance somehow helps determine draft order. If I could still post over yonder I'd give him a good lesson in hockey facts - Canuck style.
How do they do it?

My understanding is that the NHL operates in a similar fashion as the NBA. The non-playoff teams draft order is determined by a weighted lottery. The final four picks are granted to the conference finals participants in reverse order. From there, division winners are placed in reverse order based on regular season points. Finally, non-division-winning-playoff teams are placed.

If that's right, then the Hurricanes win over the Devils did not dictate that they would pick below New Jersey. But, the Canes' series win over Boston did push Carolina below the Devils. The Canes should pick 27 and playoff performance has some impact on their place in the draft.

Am I wrong?

Yeah, that's basically right (it only changed to that format recently). It used to be much simpler and, in my mind, better when teams were ranked in reverse order of how they finished in the regular season.

When I read his original post I had misunderstood what he was saying.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 28th, 2009, 5:55 am

I think the insulter in question believes he "is smarter than you are." L-) L-)

It's sad to think that this is taking place more often over yonder. :-q I hope duke84 can make a difference over there. :-bd
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 28th, 2009, 3:51 pm

I still think that "pointless taunting" should be grounds for a five day major penalty. The Devils were out. What's the point?

After checking over there. I see he's listed as "On Holiday" once again. :((
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"