Let's settle the name of the other board once and for all...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

What will we call the other board?

Poll ended at June 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm

TOWEL
50%
TOBY
13%
TBTSNBN
38%

Total votes: 16
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: Let's settle the name of the other board once and for all...

Post by captmojo » May 13th, 2009, 6:18 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I invited DukeDevilDeb over today. She had a recent mod run in, and I see she has joined. Welcome DDD!\
Check around the 112th and 113th pages of the John Wall novel, the mods were back in action.
I almost feel dirty for taking a peek at that Wall begfest but your post made it all worthwhile to see that Bill Mumy shot from Twilight Zone. I lost 30 pounds 'cause I literally laughed my ass off and felt duty-bound to offer tribute. ^:)^
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » May 13th, 2009, 6:45 am

After Patrick Patterson, I didn't think I could get any more sick of recruiting. I was wrong.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 13th, 2009, 8:14 am

captmojo wrote: I almost feel dirty for taking a peek at that Wall begfest but your post made it all worthwhile to see that Bill Mumy shot from Twilight Zone. I lost 30 pounds 'cause I literally laughed my ass off and felt duty-bound to offer tribute. ^:)^
"The Cornfield" would have been as an appropiate name as "Crazie Talk" for this site. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 13th, 2009, 8:51 am

throatybeard wrote:After Patrick Patterson, I didn't think I could get any more sick of recruiting. I was wrong.
Try living in Lexington, KY where ALL of this is nightly television news.

I don't know, throaty. I would have thought that the departure of 50 plus people with a ridiculous percentage of the posts might make moderation easier, but the Wall thread and the bizarre "smarter" sticky combined is evidence against that. Almost makes me wish for the "Nick Horvath tore up summer practice" thread. #-o :-@ :ymalien: :-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 13th, 2009, 8:53 am

I just took a look at the Wall thread and am not at all surprised by the mods actions. Typical. Absolutely typical. It's actions like that that make me realize how much I do not miss that place.

I also thought the "Attention Banned Posters" thread (well it is still only one post) was funny. I wonder A) who has tried to come back under a new name and B) if nobody has tried to come back but that the mods over there are just becoming paranoid (taking lessons from the Stasi maybe?)?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 13th, 2009, 8:56 am

Lavabe wrote: I would have thought that the departure of 50 plus people with a ridiculous percentage of the posts might make moderation easier, but the Wall thread and the bizarre "smarter" sticky combined is evidence against that.

Honestly man, I doubt the powers that be over there even care about the departure of that many people - especially because many of them don't fit into their little inner circle. I seriously think they would prefer it if that site (what are we calling it today?) were nothing more than a circle jerk for the select few until, of course, they need money at which point they want as many people around as possible so as to increase ad revenues. That place used to be great but is becoming more and more sad as time passes.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » May 13th, 2009, 9:13 am

Lavabe wrote:
throatybeard wrote:After Patrick Patterson, I didn't think I could get any more sick of recruiting. I was wrong.
Try living in Lexington, KY where ALL of this is nightly television news.

I don't know, throaty. I would have thought that the departure of 50 plus people with a ridiculous percentage of the posts might make moderation easier, but the Wall thread and the bizarre "smarter" sticky combined is evidence against that. Almost makes me wish for the "Nick Horvath tore up summer practice" thread. #-o :-@ :ymalien: :-o
I would estimate that many of the folks who left weren't particularly active on the EKB in the first place. Most of the "ridiculous percentage of the posts" was on the OTB.

The "smarter" sticky is in response to two or three banned posters who keep cooking up new screen names on the EKB. (IPs make this easy to figure out). There are actually very few permabanned posters, maybe ten at most. If you disinclude spammers.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 13th, 2009, 11:55 am

throatybeard wrote:I would estimate that many of the folks who left weren't particularly active on the EKB in the first place. Most of the "ridiculous percentage of the posts" was on the OTB.

The "smarter" sticky is in response to two or three banned posters who keep cooking up new screen names on the EKB. (IPs make this easy to figure out). There are actually very few permabanned posters, maybe ten at most. If you disinclude spammers.
The "we are smarter than you are" line was needless, and I think you'd agree that if the line had not appeared, the moderator actions last night would not have had to happen. Just sayin'.

Let's assume you are correct that most of the "ridiculous percentage of posts" was on the OTB. Is ad revenue solely based on the EKB (isn't it EKF?), and NOT the combined EKB, OTB, and PPB? If the other fora figure into the ad revenue and donation schemes, I don't see how causing such an exodus helps the site much... unless it's moving towards a site with just the EKB.

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 13th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Lavabe wrote:
The "we are smarter than you are" line was needless

Too true.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
throatybeard

Post by throatybeard » May 13th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Lavabe, my incomplete understanding of the advertising issue is as follows. The site derives advertising revenue from pageviews (not from 'traffic" in the sense of people posting a lot), and the main part of the site gets way way more than the boards. In turn, the EKB gets way way more than the OTB or the PPB. Further, for every active poster there are about 10 lurkers, again most of them on the sports board.

So in other words, the loss of 20 or 25 sets of on the OTB barely even figures into financial considerations. In fact, while EarlJam does have a dedicated (but small) cadre of followers, the reasoning is that in the long run, pageview traffic on the OTB will potentially increase from not having the board dominated by threads about EJ's gastrointestinal tract and toenails and by naked PWing activities, incessant happy birthday threads, and the like. That's the thinking anyway. No offense, EJ.

You're a valued poster and we've missed you, particularly in the beer threads.

Don't shoot me, I'm just a messenger.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 13th, 2009, 4:38 pm

throatybeard wrote:
So in other words, the loss of 20 or 25 sets of on the OTB barely even figures into financial considerations. In fact, while EarlJam does have a dedicated (but small) cadre of followers, the reasoning is that in the long run, pageview traffic on the OTB will potentially increase from not having the board dominated by threads about EJ's gastrointestinal tract and toenails and by naked PWing activities, incessant happy birthday threads, and the like. That's the thinking anyway. No offense, EJ.

In other words, post what they want you to post and how they want it posted. Their way or the highway.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 13th, 2009, 4:39 pm

But if traffic is down on DBR, then logically there are fewer people to click on the ads. Wouldn't that be lost revenue?
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2009, 4:44 pm

throatybeard wrote:Lavabe, my incomplete understanding of the advertising issue is as follows. The site derives advertising revenue from pageviews (not from 'traffic" in the sense of people posting a lot), and the main part of the site gets way way more than the boards. In turn, the EKB gets way way more than the OTB or the PPB. Further, for every active poster there are about 10 lurkers, again most of them on the sports board.

Jumbo sent a message to me at my 25th reunion, via my college roommate, who is a DBR mod. I just laughed. After all of the exchanges that he and I had on PMs, I got a personally delivered message from him. Did I mention that I laughed?

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Lamely replying to my own post:

And, no, I didn't shoot the messenger. We laughed, had a beer or 10, and I invited her over here. Heck, I even invited her to our spring Brunchgate, which she attended.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 13th, 2009, 4:48 pm

Throaty, maybe you know this. It seems that the ad revenue really outta more than pay for the site itself. SInce I set this site up, I looked at many options, including vbulletin, so I'm aware of the costs. Obviously, Vbulletin was too costly for us, but with the ads on DBR I can't see how they aren't negated by the revune of the advertising. Thus I ask, how do they justify needing more money voluntarily sent in? Our site totals up something goofy like 10 bux a month, that includes the board you see here, and the main page that I haven't done anything with. If we advertised here, we could buy somebody tickets to the Duke-UNC game every year. (If we ever DO advertise, that's what we'd be doing, too. And paying for brunchgate.)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 13th, 2009, 4:49 pm

TillyGalore wrote:But if traffic is down on DBR, then logically there are fewer people to click on the ads. Wouldn't that be lost revenue?
From what Throaty said, they don't work on a pay per click system, it's more about general traffic.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 13th, 2009, 4:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:But if traffic is down on DBR, then logically there are fewer people to click on the ads. Wouldn't that be lost revenue?
From what Throaty said, they don't work on a pay per click system, it's more about general traffic.
Ohhhhh. I thought it was a per click thing. Well then it would seem ad revenues have gone down, though I think there are a very few of us don't bother going over there at all. Since returning from my vacation, I have no desire to even lurk over there.

Also, I think DBR raises money to pay for some of the writers that write things exclusively for DBR. I can't remember who they are, but I recall that was the reason given a few years ago.
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 13th, 2009, 10:50 pm

throatybeard wrote:

I think our indignation has nothing to do with "financial considerations." It's more that we all sort of liked to think ourselves important parts of the DBR community, only to find that, if and when we didn't quite conform enough, we were no longer as welcome as we once felt.

I roundly reject the inconsistency of summarily deleting supposedly "pointless" posts from people with several thousand posts under their belt on the Off-Topic Board, while stuff like "omg it would be sweet if we got john wall he is so good Duke rocks!", from people who've posted all of about 20 times, goes entirely untouched on the EKB.
Moreover, any questioning, even if it's just an honest attempt to understand what's going on, seems only to elicit an attitude that the mods would just rather have all of us be wrong than actually discuss problems and try to fix them.

And I get that we don't "matter" in terms of ad revenue. But if DBR and its mods honestly don't think it's a problem that ~50 very active posters, with something like 125,000 collective posts under their belts, left so suddenly, well...pardon my French, but they can all kiss my ass.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2009, 11:44 pm

I have been relatively silent in all this for various reasons but will try to organize some thoughts/posts over the weekend at the coast with some free time on my fingers, err, hands.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 13th, 2009, 11:47 pm

devildeac wrote:I have been relatively silent in all this for various reasons but will try to organize some thoughts/posts over the weekend at the coast with some free time on my fingers, err, hands.
Y'all are going to the beach AGAIN? Must be nice...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com