Gardening

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Gardening

Post by cl15876 » September 6th, 2009, 10:38 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I pulled my first potato out of the dirt tonight. I promptly washed it and baked it for dinner. I can't wait to harvest the rest of them - especially the blue and red varieties!

I also had tomatoes and basil from the garden with mozzarella for a caprese salad. And a couple glasses of wine.

It was a good gardening day.
Congratulations! My HOT and SWEET pepper(s) were out of control this year! :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: I just gave some to my dad this afternoon and my mom and sis pulled a pepper out of the bag and said.... OMG, I've never SEEN A PEPPER THAT BiG!!!!! :D :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :D Well, God is GOOD!!!! :D
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 5th, 2009, 8:02 pm

I have mushrooms growing in my front yard. How do I get rid of them, and keep them away?
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 5th, 2009, 8:04 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I have mushrooms growing in my front yard. How do I get rid of them, and keep them away?
I think that both mushroom and toadstool are wonderful words. There may be no other object in the world that can claim two such superlative words.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 5th, 2009, 8:06 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I have mushrooms growing in my front yard. How do I get rid of them, and keep them away?
I was just trying to remember if I recently saw them at your house, but they were at Ms. Fran's...... I say eat em up, but let me check on the potency of yours (do you have a PIC?) I've heard shrooms are quite wonderful, but I've never experienced that delight other than fried, raw, or sauteed!!!! #:-s ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 5th, 2009, 8:07 pm

wilson wrote:
I think that both mushroom and toadstool are wonderful words. There may be no other object in the world that can claim two such superlative words.
There you go with that educated speak again...... ;)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 5th, 2009, 8:56 pm

cl15876 wrote:
I was just trying to remember if I recently saw them at your house, but they were at Ms. Fran's...... I say eat em up, but let me check on the potency of yours (do you have a PIC?) I've heard shrooms are quite wonderful, but I've never experienced that delight other than fried, raw, or sauteed!!!! #:-s ;)
There is no way I'm going to eat these shrooms. Those bad boys are goin' down courtesy of my mower. Just want to know how I can keep them from coming back. Also, they weren't here when you were here bunchofnumbers. They made their appearance last week.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 5th, 2009, 9:05 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
There is no way I'm going to eat these shrooms. Those bad boys are goin' down courtesy of my mower. Just want to know how I can keep them from coming back. Also, they weren't here when you were here bunchofnumbers. They made their appearance last week.
Your toadstools are a fungus. Probably due to all the cool weather and lots of rain. They'll probably give up and go away when conditions change.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 6th, 2009, 6:39 am

I like having them. Mushrooms like cool, dark, damp environments...so piss off your neighbors and rent one of those big spotlights...and aim it at the ground. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 6th, 2009, 7:27 am

It has always amazed me how fast a gia-rock-o shroom can show up in my front yard! One day -nothing...next morning a 8" diameter fungus (along with several friends) is just there out of the blue.

In other news...it is now time for me to think about planting MY garden. Summer is too freakin' hot to grow anything but fall...perfect! I'm thinking some maters, some peas, some beans...must check out the starters at the local nursery. :-bd
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » October 6th, 2009, 12:16 pm

I would love to try and cook 'em up, but it may not be a good idea.
I did a little research and found out that if you pick the little buggers and then apply about a teaspoon of bleach directly at the spot this problem will be greatly alleviated if not entirely resolved... at least for a few months.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 10th, 2009, 5:05 pm

No pretty sunny day here. It is supposed to get down to 29 overnight. I broke down and turned on the heat for the first time. Took all the green tomatoes off the plants and got the potatoes out of the ground. I brought in some of the plants last night. Haven't decided what to do with some of the others. I'm not sure if the cold snap is supposed to last or just be a few days.

The all blue variety of potatoes was the best producer. Now to find some recipes to use. :)
Life is good!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 10th, 2009, 5:38 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:No pretty sunny day here. It is supposed to get down to 29 overnight. I broke down and turned on the heat for the first time. Took all the green tomatoes off the plants and got the potatoes out of the ground. I brought in some of the plants last night. Haven't decided what to do with some of the others. I'm not sure if the cold snap is supposed to last or just be a few days.

The all blue variety of potatoes was the best producer. Now to find some recipes to use. :)
Slice em 1/4" thick.
Grill over medium heat. I use a grill pan on the stove.
Top with a dollop of crème fraîche, a lil bit of caviar and chopped chives.
If you can't find crème fraîche, then you can go with sour cream but it's just not the same.

If you're not a fan of caviar, try a mustard vinaigrette.
2 tbsps red wine vinegar or lemon juice
1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tbsp chives

Marinate them, then grill em.
sMiles
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 10th, 2009, 6:58 pm

I knew I could count on CTNers to come up with suggestions.
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 12th, 2009, 12:26 am

Miles wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:No pretty sunny day here. It is supposed to get down to 29 overnight. I broke down and turned on the heat for the first time. Took all the green tomatoes off the plants and got the potatoes out of the ground. I brought in some of the plants last night. Haven't decided what to do with some of the others. I'm not sure if the cold snap is supposed to last or just be a few days.

Slice em 1/4" thick.
If you can't find crème fraîche, then you can go with sour cream but it's just not the same.

1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp chives

I assume you are talking about the potatoes, but you got me thinking about this with the green tomatoes and that sounds yummy also!
Miles

Post by Miles » October 12th, 2009, 8:20 am

cl15876 wrote:
Miles wrote:

Slice em 1/4" thick.

1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp chives

I assume you are talking about the potatoes, but you got me thinking about this with the green tomatoes and that sounds yummy also!
Indeed these were potato suggestions. Green tomatoes need no accompaniments or marinades. :-)
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Garden question

Post by TillyGalore » April 3rd, 2010, 8:58 am

K68 bought a couple of tulip plants that are already blooming. He knows I like tulips,isn't he the best!

Can we plant the blooming bulbs now, or do we have to wait until the fall to plant them?
DukieInKansas

Re: Garden question

Post by DukieInKansas » April 3rd, 2010, 12:19 pm

I planted my potted tulips last year after the blooms were done. It is coming up this spring. Cut off the bloom and plant the rest. The leaves will feed the bulbs so they rebloom next year.
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 3rd, 2010, 12:29 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I planted my potted tulips last year after the blooms were done. It is coming up this spring. Cut off the bloom and plant the rest. The leaves will feed the bulbs so they rebloom next year.
Very good tips from DinK! I also found this link on tulips as well...
1. http://www.gardeningwithkids.org/plantingtulips.html
2. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/planttulips

There are plenty more you could come up with via google obviously, but the DIY page amongst others are fantastic!

Nice job Marvin! Tulips are beautiful!!!! ;) :-BD
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 3rd, 2010, 4:05 pm

Hope this thread is active. So many questions and answers are most helpful with gardening.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 3rd, 2010, 4:18 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Hope this thread is active. So many questions and answers are most helpful with gardening.
Merged it with the current "gardening" thread. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.