Weather Check!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Weather Check!

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 17th, 2011, 10:55 am

I got lucky here, nothing but a few leaves in the yard, but some roof damage a five iron away to several houses. As you may have seen on the news, up to 24 deaths in NC yesterday, including 3 in Raleigh and 14 in Bertie County, which is in the northeast corner of the state.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 17th, 2011, 12:28 pm

We were very fortunate on the coast. We lost power for a few hours, had some wind and a few drops of rain as the storm skirted by, but overall, we were untouched. I am very grateful my family and friends are all safe and sound. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those who suffered loss and injury yesterday.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 17th, 2011, 2:27 pm

It is absolutely beautiful outside. At least it looks absolutely beautiful from the comfort of my couch.

I'm going to go see if my mower still works.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 17th, 2011, 2:41 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:It is absolutely beautiful outside. At least it looks absolutely beautiful from the comfort of my couch.

My mower coughed and gave me the finger.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » April 17th, 2011, 3:12 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:It is absolutely beautiful outside. At least it looks absolutely beautiful from the comfort of my couch.

What a thoughtful mower! She's making you enjoy the day!!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 18th, 2011, 9:15 am

DukePA wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

What a thoughtful mower! She's making you enjoy the day!!
I know a guy that found the best remedy for his 'uppity' mower, was to create a new vent opening in the engine block with a .45 caliber bullet. :))
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 24th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I missed the big tornado in St. Louis, but we're getting flash floods in Arkansas. I may not be able to cross the creek tomorrow morning. Wouldn't it be just terrible if I had to miss another day of work? :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 24th, 2011, 6:58 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I missed the big tornado in St. Louis, but we're getting flash floods in Arkansas. I may not be able to cross the creek tomorrow morning. Wouldn't it be just terrible if I had to miss another day of work? :ymdevil:

I'm sorry you have to deal with the flash flooding, but missing a day of work? Bwahahahaha! :ymdevil:

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 24th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Amelia attended St. Louis University for undergrad/master's degree, and has her best friend from there in town over the long weekend. My heart of course goes out to all of those affected by the storms, but I also want Shay to be able to go back home as scheduled on Wednesday morning. You see, Amelia is going to Memphis next weekend, and I'd really like to get a bit of, ahem, Q.T. before she leaves...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 24th, 2011, 7:36 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I missed the big tornado in St. Louis, but we're getting flash floods in Arkansas. I may not be able to cross the creek tomorrow morning. Wouldn't it be just terrible if I had to miss another day of work? :ymdevil:

I'm sorry you have to deal with the flash flooding, but missing a day of work? Bwahahahaha! :ymdevil:

Exactly, Cathy! I took tomorrow off, but it's pouring right now and the creek is still rising. I could've stayed on the other side of the creek at my brother's house, but I decided not to. No guilty conscience here. :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 24th, 2011, 7:39 pm

wilson wrote:Amelia attended St. Louis University for undergrad/master's degree, and has her best friend from there in town over the long weekend. My heart of course goes out to all of those affected by the storms, but I also want Shay to be able to go back home as scheduled on Wednesday morning. You see, Amelia is going to Memphis next weekend, and I'd really like to get a bit of, ahem, Q.T. before she leaves...
The airport reopened today and is getting back up to full capacity. I'll send vibes that Amelia's friend will be able to keep her current travel plans. :wizard:
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 25th, 2011, 9:16 am

Did you make it across the river?
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 25th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Beautiful today in the Triangle!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 25th, 2011, 1:55 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Did you make it across the river?
I made it across this morning, before it started raining again. Just got back to St. Louis. Drove in rain the entire way, some of it quite heavy. I am really, really tired now.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 25th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Meanwhile, back in the Land of the Lost, we had a tornado warning Friday night, as a storm with rotational winds and clouds developed north of us by about a couple of miles. The local TV channel showed some of the updraft of winds that struck the UK campus.

Mostly, however, it's been the deluge that has us most concerned. Last year, you'll recall, we had our basement flood. Fortunately, nothing yet has hit us, despite the roughly 8-10 inches of rain in the last four days. Oh yeah... on Saturday, it had dried enough for me to mow the lawn. Within 10 minutes of completing this chore, the skies opened up again.

We've had pea-sized hail two of the last three days. Weather forecast: more showers through Wednesday.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 25th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Things are really bad in Arkansas right now. My mom just called and told me that the creek in front of their house is higher than they've ever seen it. It's out in the pastures and almost up to the top of the gate post. She's been watching trees wash downstream. My sister-in-law couldn't get home with the kids, and they live on the other side of the creek from my parents (i.e. they don't have to cross it to get to the highway). They're staying at a neighbor's house, but my younger brother is on his way home from work to see if he can get his family home in his truck. My older brother can't get home and is staying with friends in town. Lots of my FB friends from back home are posting some unbelievable pictures. To top it all off, much of the state is also under a tornado warning. Sounds like I really did manage to make it out in the nick of time.

Vibes to all my family and friends in AR. :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray:
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 25th, 2011, 9:02 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Things are really bad in Arkansas right now. My mom just called and told me that the creek in front of their house is higher than they've ever seen it. It's out in the pastures and almost up to the top of the gate post. She's been watching trees wash downstream. My sister-in-law couldn't get home with the kids, and they live on the other side of the creek from my parents (i.e. they don't have to cross it to get to the highway). They're staying at a neighbor's house, but my younger brother is on his way home from work to see if he can get his family home in his truck. My older brother can't get home and is staying with friends in town. Lots of my FB friends from back home are posting some unbelievable pictures. To top it all off, much of the state is also under a tornado warning. Sounds like I really did manage to make it out in the nick of time.

Vibes to all my family and friends in AR. :pray: :wizard: :pray: :wizard: :pray:
Vibes and prayers for your family and friends, and the people in Arkansas, AD. It sounds very frightening there.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 25th, 2011, 9:16 pm

I'm glad you got out in time, AD. I hope your family members continue to stay safe and dry!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 25th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Thanks Cathy and lawgrad! Younger bro and family just got home. Apparently the dirt road was river-like in several places, and there's one spot that's almost blocked by a mud slide. Doesn't sound like my nieces and nephew will be going to school tomorrow.

Meanwhile, in central AR, tornadoes are touching down all over the place according to my FB friends. In fact, one was about a mile from where I lived before moving to StL. The Weather Channel is broadcasting from Central AR right now.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 25th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Looks like some nasty thunderstorms are headed for the Atlanta metro area. Vibes to The Atlanta Mafia. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
-- Albert Einstein