LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » September 2nd, 2009, 6:57 pm

Saw a gal wearing this t-shirt today, and it made me think of CTN for some reason.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 2nd, 2009, 7:21 pm

bjornolf wrote:
devildeac wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Went to the dentist today. I haven't been in about three years. I used to go very regularly, but when we moved I had to find a new dentist and what with the baby and all, it's been a low priority. I was worried about the news, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I do need to floss more.

Anyone on here actually a regular flosser?
Daily.
I am. My wife is, and I do my kids' teeth every day. We were soft on Sean because he hated brushing so much, and he ended up having a tooth extracted and a baby root canal and a BUNCH of fillings. Now he's religious about it, so maybe it's worth it since no permanent teeth were hurt. The dentist told me that flossing might be even more important than brushing, because the fluoridated water we drink and the mouthwash we use does NOT get between the teeth effectively. MOST kids cavities are between teeth at the contact point, as proof of this. They even make fluoride dental floss now. We use it on the kids.

%%-
Ouch, baby root canals? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! (Well, on 2nd thought....).... but here we go again... I NOTE, between the teeth rather than between "the cheek and gum (just kidding)", the gum and tooth.... how does flossing solve gum sensitivity and overbrushing issues?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 2nd, 2009, 7:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:We are really cleaning up on medical procedures this year. ILJ had the two carpal tunnel surgeries. I am having my colonoscopy this month. Legacy Lady will finally be getting her tonsils removed. This will also mean we can not partake in a Brunchgate in October. Hopefully we'll still be able to stop by in November... assuming we don't have any other procedures. @-)
Major bummer. Vibes to you and Legacy Lady for the upcoming medical procedures. Are you coming this way in a couple of weeks for the Forest Park Balloon Race?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 2nd, 2009, 7:29 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Umm, are we a little late with the BD avatar change? :-w :-w :-w
I only promise to change signatures. The avatar will change when I've charged my digital camera, found the cable that connects it to my computer and/or finished a new scarf. I can only do so much!

But if you need a game to play, tell us the source.
My computer has a card reader, so I transfer pictures to my computer by taking the card out of the camera and putting it into the computer. Can you go that route? It's much easier.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 2nd, 2009, 7:31 pm

bjornolf wrote:Saw a gal wearing this t-shirt today, and it made me think of CTN for some reason.

:-B
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 2nd, 2009, 7:32 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Saw a gal wearing this t-shirt today, and it made me think of CTN for some reason.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Very Good! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 2nd, 2009, 7:37 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Lavabe wrote: ...

PLEASE don't tell me you guilt-flossed just a day or so before you went to the dentist. :((
So that is what you Dr's call it these days! I am still wondering something.... how does flossing, which occurs between each tooth (as this simple man understands it), helps resolve the plaque build up between the top of the tooth and the gum. Ya know when the hygienist is jamming that point-EEE pronged steel tipped stick (with apparently a depth measurement as I understand it) into each and every tooth at the upper/lower part where the gum comes down over the tooth that hurts like "doo dah" and says as you dance around "OH, I'm sorry DID THAT HURT?". Besides many other things that come to mind, I have to say, YA THINK, I actually flinch like this ALL THE TIME!!!! :D
My understanding is that the proper flossing method is to not just slide the floss up and down, but while it's all the way into the gum, to curve the floss and wrap it around the base of the crown, along the gum line. This way you do get some contact all the way around the tooth.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 2nd, 2009, 7:38 pm

I'm embarrassed to be surrounded by such great flossers..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I didn't guilt-floss. Once I fall out of flossing for a long time, I never go back, I figure it's probably already too late to catch back up. I did brush late this morning, if only to be polite and get rid of a bit of the morning coffee breath.
-- DukeUsul
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 2nd, 2009, 7:41 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I'm embarrassed to be surrounded by such great flossers..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I didn't guilt-floss. Once I fall out of flossing for a long time, I never go back, I figure it's probably already too late to catch back up. I did brush late this morning, if only to be polite and get rid of a bit of the morning coffee breath.
Too funny, I do the same thing!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 2nd, 2009, 8:38 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I'm embarrassed to be surrounded by such great flossers..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Basically, the main idea is not just to remove food/debris buildup between the teeth (which provides nutrients for the microbes that cause plaque and caries), but to stimulate blood flow to the gums. By pressing against the soft tissue, you start more blood flow there... which brings nourishment and antibodies. After about 3 or 4 days of flossing, you will see the healthy gum tissue color begin to return, as more and more blood flows there. It also helps make the environment worse for the buildup of plaque. If you haven't flossed in ages, you probably need (or needed) lots of work to remove calculus (not the math, but the substance)/plaque.

FWIW, there's some literature out there about an association between diabetes and periodontal disease.

Seriously, flossing is easy to do, and is a simple measure to help you with your periodontal health. When you've seen some of the archaeological specimens who didn't floss, you'll understand why it is so important. Even if you haven't flossed in ages, you can get meaningful results by flossing now.

NOTE: I am not a dentist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night... and I've seen a number of archaeological folks who had bad periodontal health.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 2nd, 2009, 8:47 pm

DukeUsul wrote: My understanding is that the proper flossing method is to not just slide the floss up and down, but while it's all the way into the gum, to curve the floss and wrap it around the base of the crown, along the gum line. This way you do get some contact all the way around the tooth.
And just how the fuck are you supposed to do that?????
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 2nd, 2009, 9:02 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DukeUsul wrote: My understanding is that the proper flossing method is to not just slide the floss up and down, but while it's all the way into the gum, to curve the floss and wrap it around the base of the crown, along the gum line. This way you do get some contact all the way around the tooth.
Lavabe had me scared, but now I forgot all that fright after reading this..... =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 2nd, 2009, 9:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:

Basically, the main idea is not just to remove food/debris buildup between the teeth (which provides nutrients for the microbes that cause plaque and caries), but to stimulate blood flow to the gums. By pressing against the soft tissue, you start more blood flow there... which brings nourishment and antibodies. After about 3 or 4 days of flossing, you will see the healthy gum tissue color begin to return, as more and more blood flows there. It also helps make the environment worse for the buildup of plaque. If you haven't flossed in ages, you probably need (or needed) lots of work to remove calculus (not the math, but the substance)/plaque.

FWIW, there's some literature out there about an association between diabetes and periodontal disease.

Seriously, flossing is easy to do, and is a simple measure to help you with your periodontal health. When you've seen some of the archaeological specimens who didn't floss, you'll understand why it is so important. Even if you haven't flossed in ages, you can get meaningful results by flossing now.

NOTE: I am not a dentist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night... and I've seen a number of archaeological folks who had bad periodontal health.
Yup. I spent about an hour with my mouth pried open while the (very, very good) hygienist scraped.

If anyone in Durham is looking for a gentle but thorough hygienist, I can give you a recommendation.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 2nd, 2009, 9:03 pm

-- DukeUsul
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 2nd, 2009, 9:04 pm

Do you get a commission? :oops: :ugeek: ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 2nd, 2009, 9:10 pm

cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Lavabe had me scared, but now I forgot all that fright after reading this..... =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Too scared to floss, or too scared because I nudged and forced a forfeit on you? ;)

Look, you have soft periodontal tissue (your gums) and harder periodontal tissue (your jaws... alveolar bone). Both benefit greatly from flossing. The alternative ain't pretty ... so why not floss?
:-bd
Even the pirate flosses! :ar!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 2nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Very Good! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
I can see someone (cough, cough) re-formatting that shirt with a big ol': "Talk dirty to me" on it...

(no names, please...)

:roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 2nd, 2009, 9:16 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:"quote="bjornolf""Saw a gal wearing this t-shirt today, and it made me think of CTN for some reason.

"/quote"

I can see someone (cough, cough) re-formatting that shirt with a big ol': "Talk dirty to me" on it...

(no names, please...)

:roll:
ROFLMAO!!!!!! VERY VERRRRY GOOD!!!!! I TOTALLY MISSED THAT!!!! YOU ARE HOT!!!! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :-bd :-bd :-bd
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » September 2nd, 2009, 9:20 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Use the force, Ozzie. :ugeek:
Class of 2014
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » September 2nd, 2009, 9:21 pm

Lavabe wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:"quote="DukeUsul""
My understanding is that the proper flossing method is to not just slide the floss up and down, but while it's all the way into the gum, to curve the floss and wrap it around the base of the crown, along the gum line. This way you do get some contact all the way around the tooth."/quote"
Too scared to floss, or too scared because I nudged and forced a forfeit on you? ;)

Look, you have soft periodontal tissue (your gums) and harder periodontal tissue (your jaws... alveolar bone). Both benefit greatly from flossing. The alternative ain't pretty ... so why not floss?
:-bd
Even the pirate flosses! :ar!
Actually, I suppose I should have posted my vulnerability in the men with softer sides, but since I divulged you had me on both call outs! Then OZ just had me rolling! I promise, I will start trying the mathematical flossing (oops, dental flossing) that was proposed and probably won't report on it, since I don't want you or your colleagues digging me up and saying "OMG, this guy bonehead (aka 8-x ) should have flossed more!!!!! Seriously, I am an intermittent flosser and will get better at it given the dialogue in this thread! Thank you for enlightening me!!!! ;) :ymhug: :-bd