Weather Check!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Weather Check!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 1st, 2011, 12:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:Frost this morning. :ymtongue:
Sun coming out to play today. It's supposed to be almost 70 tomorrow. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 1st, 2011, 12:38 pm

50% chance of STORMY WEATHER this afternoon.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » April 1st, 2011, 12:45 pm

We had our snow earlier this week. Now it's someone else's turn.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 4th, 2011, 10:51 am

http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Foscoe
Today's high if Foscoe, NC (the northern NC mountains where OzzieDaughter lives) will be 74 and quite windy. Tomorrow evening there will be snow showers. Ahh, spring! =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 4th, 2011, 10:54 am

It is awesome here this morning. I will be using the AC in my work van. :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » April 9th, 2011, 11:07 am

Last night and early this morning, loud, violent storms came roaring through the western edge of the Piedmont. The sound of large hail crashing down awakened me twice after midnight. Heavy rains followed the hail. Lightening seemed to surround the house and all around it.

Glad that mess is past, but would prefer warmer temperatures than we now have..... 48 degrees near midday. We had spring for a day or two; now we're back to a bit of a winter like chill.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 9th, 2011, 12:44 pm

People are trying to tell me that it is warm and sunny outside. I know they are lying. My boss tells me it is cold, wet, and nasty outside and I'm fortunate to be indoors.

I wonder if that is just to keep me here preparing tax returns? Naah - I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 9th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Last night and early this morning, loud, violent storms came roaring through the western edge of the Piedmont. The sound of large hail crashing down awakened me twice after midnight. Heavy rains followed the hail. Lightening seemed to surround the house and all around it.

Glad that mess is past, but would prefer warmer temperatures than we now have..... 48 degrees near midday. We had spring for a day or two; now we're back to a bit of a winter like chill.
Yup. It came through Durham during the reunion parties too. Fortunately, instead of the usual tents, we were in a real building last night. Then, driving home after midnight, I got to drive through it again! Fun times. Doubly glad I was sober! Surprised, but glad! :)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 9th, 2011, 5:24 pm

I got 2011's first kiss of sunburn at Turner Field today. What a delightful feeling.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 9th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Here at the Rock, thunderstorms and , and we just had .25" hail.
All damn week, local TV weather forecasters have been calling for temps in the mid-70s Sat and sunny. 82 and sunshine expected for Sunday. Yeah...right. X(
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 9th, 2011, 9:27 pm

It's a beautiful evening in St. Louis. I cooked both lunch and dinner on the new grill, and I'm currently sitting on my porch. There's a wonderful breeze. May have to go inside just long enough to get a glass of wine.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » April 9th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Let me check -- yup, still 45-55, gray, 70% chance of rain. Has been for the past 6 weeks, likely to be for another 6 weeks (maybe breaking into high 50's/low 60's.) It's right about now that all Seattlites are readying a noose. Or a trip to California.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 17th, 2011, 7:38 am

Looks like some CTNers had some horrible weather yesterday.... :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: vibes that all is well.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 17th, 2011, 8:11 am

Yesterday was a day I won't soon forget.

I drove Christian to Raleigh yesterday to put him on his flight to California. He took off at 2:45, and the rain began only ten minutes later. Mom and I then drove to Crabtree Valley Mall. All along Glenwood Avenue, traffic lights were out and the police had not arrived to direct traffic yet, except at the Glenwood/Creedmoor intersection. I decided that it was safer to get off the road than to keep on driving, so I turned in to the mall.

Once we were inside the mall, we could hear the rain and the hail pelting the roof of the mall. It was eerie. The wind was blowing inside Belk's department store as the air pressure dropped precipitously. The electricity kept going on and off. Mom and I were on the second floor of the mall and didn't have time to take shelter on the ground floor. Instead, we ducked in to Ross-Simons jewelry store to get away from all of the glass that would go flying in the mall if the tornado touched down. Have you ever noticed how much glass is in a mall? The storefronts are almost entirely glass, the upstairs balcony walls are almost entirely glass, the roof is mostly skylights. If I'm going to get trapped in a mall, I might as well be trapped in a jewelry store. Those people were so nice, and they let us look at the weather radar on their computer. Meanwhile, tornadoes were touching down all around the city of Raleigh.

After the storm let up, Mom and I shopped some more, and then we decided to eat dinner at Brio while we were at the mall, in order to give the storms some time to continue moving east ahead of us. When we left the mall at 6:30 p.m., the sun was shining brightly. We stopped at Trader Joe's to pick up some teriyaki chicken, brown rice, orchids and THREE buck Chuck. About 2 miles from TJ's, I saw road signs and insulation and trees strewn over the Beltline (Interstate 440). I looked to the right and saw that the Ferguson plumbing supply house had been hit. The steel roof trusses were twisted, as was the metal siding of the building. Insulation was everywhere in the surrounding trees. Trees were snapped in half, road signs were twisted and blown across the Beltline, and the metal siding from Ferguson's was curled up and blown across the road.

Along U.S. 264 to Greenville, we saw uprooted trees, snapped trees, twisted road signs and insulation hanging in the trees. The storms were widespread. When we got to Pitt County around 7:45 p.m., we had caught up with the rain, and we came upon several traffic accidents, caused mostly by falling trees. Our electricity never went out (I haven't had to reset the alarm clocks), and there appears to be no damage to either Mom's house or my house. I'll go outside in a few minutes to look at the yard trash.

Others in our county and state weren't as fortunate as Mom and I were. Although today is supposed to be a day of celebration at church, our celebration will be tempered somewhat as we keep those poor people who were affected by the storm in our prayers.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 17th, 2011, 8:21 am

CathyCA wrote:Yesterday was a day I won't soon forget.

I drove Christian to Raleigh yesterday to put him on his flight to California. He took off at 2:45, and the rain began only ten minutes later. Mom and I then drove to Crabtree Valley Mall. All along Glenwood Avenue, traffic lights were out and the police had not arrived to direct traffic yet, except at the Glenwood/Creedmoor intersection. I decided that it was safer to get off the road than to keep on driving, so I turned in to the mall.

Once we were inside the mall, we could hear the rain and the hail pelting the roof of the mall. It was eerie. The wind was blowing inside Belk's department store as the air pressure dropped precipitously. The electricity kept going on and off. Mom and I were on the second floor of the mall and didn't have time to take shelter on the ground floor. Instead, we ducked in to Ross-Simons jewelry store to get away from all of the glass that would go flying in the mall if the tornado touched down. Have you ever noticed how much glass is in a mall? The storefronts are almost entirely glass, the upstairs balcony walls are almost entirely glass, the roof is mostly skylights. If I'm going to get trapped in a mall, I might as well be trapped in a jewelry store. Those people were so nice, and they let us look at the weather radar on their computer. Meanwhile, tornadoes were touching down all around the city of Raleigh.

After the storm let up, Mom and I shopped some more, and then we decided to eat dinner at Brio while we were at the mall, in order to give the storms some time to continue moving east ahead of us. When we left the mall at 6:30 p.m., the sun was shining brightly. We stopped at Trader Joe's to pick up some teriyaki chicken, brown rice, orchids and THREE buck Chuck. About 2 miles from TJ's, I saw road signs and insulation and trees strewn over the Beltline (Interstate 440). I looked to the right and saw that the Ferguson plumbing supply house had been hit. The steel roof trusses were twisted, as was the metal siding of the building. Insulation was everywhere in the surrounding trees. Trees were snapped in half, road signs were twisted and blown across the Beltline, and the metal siding from Ferguson's was curled up and blown across the road.

Along U.S. 264 to Greenville, we saw uprooted trees, snapped trees, twisted road signs and insulation hanging in the trees. The storms were widespread. When we got to Pitt County around 7:45 p.m., we had caught up with the rain, and we came upon several traffic accidents, caused mostly by falling trees. Our electricity never went out (I haven't had to reset the alarm clocks), and there appears to be no damage to either Mom's house or my house. I'll go outside in a few minutes to look at the yard trash.

Others in our county and state weren't as fortunate as Mom and I were. Although today is supposed to be a day of celebration at church, our celebration will be tempered somewhat as we keep those poor people who were affected by the storm in our prayers.

:9f:
Glad you and Mom are fine. Thoughts and prayers to those who were not so fortunate, especially the family who lost 3 kids in the mobile home in Raleigh.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 17th, 2011, 8:47 am

:text-yeahthat:
Glad to not hear of bad stuff to any of we CTNers.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 17th, 2011, 8:56 am

Here in Crappy Hell it was hard to imagine that very much was going on anywhere. We just had a good rain and a little wind. The OP is on his way to Hyco where he'll see if there is any furniture left on the dock, however. We may have to send the grandsons to the bottom of the lake on search missions.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 17th, 2011, 9:48 am

We were fortunate here. Our house and neighbors escaped the bad stuff. Prayers for those who were hit by the storms yesterday. :pray:
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » April 17th, 2011, 9:54 am

I feel so fortunate that we had heavy rain and wind and no more. My mother is staying with me while I care her.... she's recovering from a bout of Norovirus, tough stuff for anyone, but especially for a 90 yo. All family in various parts of the state seem to be safe and their homes intact.

This morning it's a bit chilly outside, but the sunshine is a welcome presence!
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » April 17th, 2011, 10:22 am

Good luck here in Mebane yesterday, as we just had about 30 minutes of high wind and rain. Many :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: to those who have to deal with the aftermath of this terrible storm to the north and south of us.

And major kudos to the manager at Lowes in Sanford for ushering more than 100 people into the back of his store as a tornado hit the front. He was outside, saw the tornado coming, immediately went in and got everyone inside to safety. ^:)^ :Clap: :ymapplause: ^:)^