Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 17th, 2022, 8:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 5:52 pm
North Carolina state investigators are probing the voter registration of Mark Meadows, a former chief of staff to President Donald Trump, amid questions about him listing a home he never owned on voter records, the state attorney general’s office said Thursday.

Attorney General Josh Stein’s office asked the State Bureau of Investigation to look into Meadows’ voter registration after a local prosecutor requested that state authorities oversee any probe of the matter, N.C. Department of Justice spokeswoman Nazneen Ahmed said in an email.

“We have asked the SBI to investigate and at the conclusion of the investigation, we’ll review their findings,” Ahmed said.
Tsk, tsk. :violin:
https://www.witn.com/2022/03/17/north-c ... istration/
It is amazing that Trump is still so obsessed with voter fraud screwing him out of the election (I am still waiting for an ounce of proof on that) when it was his people that were cheating. Maybe he actually lost by a lot more than we think he did? Until he was kind enough to leave my fine city to move to Florida, Trump did live in a glass house (Trump Tower).
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 21st, 2022, 7:01 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 8:44 pm
March 17th, 2022, 5:52 pm
North Carolina state investigators are probing the voter registration of Mark Meadows, a former chief of staff to President Donald Trump, amid questions about him listing a home he never owned on voter records, the state attorney general’s office said Thursday.

Attorney General Josh Stein’s office asked the State Bureau of Investigation to look into Meadows’ voter registration after a local prosecutor requested that state authorities oversee any probe of the matter, N.C. Department of Justice spokeswoman Nazneen Ahmed said in an email.

“We have asked the SBI to investigate and at the conclusion of the investigation, we’ll review their findings,” Ahmed said.
Tsk, tsk. :violin:
https://www.witn.com/2022/03/17/north-c ... istration/
It is amazing that Trump is still so obsessed with voter fraud screwing him out of the election (I am still waiting for an ounce of proof on that) when it was his people that were cheating. Maybe he actually lost by a lot more than we think he did? Until he was kind enough to leave my fine city to move to Florida, Trump did live in a glass house (Trump Tower).
Over the past several years, I have noticed that Trump is gifted about yelling loudly and accusing others of things he himself is guilty of doing. So, the instant he started yelling about voter fraud by democrats, I just assumed it was something his team was doing. The guy is gifted in the game of deflection.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 23rd, 2022, 9:49 am

U.S. President Joe Biden's public approval rating fell to a new low of 40% this week, a clear warning sign for his Democratic Party as it seeks to retain control of Congress in the Nov. 8 election, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll.
I don't know who is going to be running for the White House as the Democrat nominee, but it is very clear that it can't be Biden. He had a function, which was to beat Trump. He won't beat anyone again, no matter if it is Trump or another candidate.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-approv ... 16373.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 23rd, 2022, 5:54 pm

And this right here is why the entire GOP is a farce. A very scary one.
Republican Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama said on Wednesday that former President Donald Trump pressed him to illegally remove President Joe Biden from office and hold a new presidential election, moves that are both unconstitutional.

"President Trump asked me to rescind the 2020 elections, immediately remove Joe Biden from the White House, immediately put President Trump back in the White House, and hold a new special election for the presidency," Brooks said in a statement
It's all great until your lord and savior takes away his support. THEN you can be brave and say he's a horrible person that broke the law and his oath of office.
But of course, now that you are no longer in favor, nobody is listening.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mo-brooks-sa ... 08347.html
dudog

Post by dudog » March 23rd, 2022, 6:12 pm

Amazing to me that someone as stupid as Trump ever ascended to the top office in the land. What does that say about this country?

So even with Trump's endorsement, Mo Brooks was running 3rd in the Alabama R Senate primary. So Trump pulls the endorsement, of course, it can't be because of him. But Mo spoke at the January 6 rally and I bet he knows a lot more about Trump's actions before and after. Here's just a teaser:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBorjTa

But Mo is being a bit disingenuous here:
"But I took a sworn oath to defend and protect the U.S. Constitution. I honor my oath. That is the way I am. I break my sworn oath for no man."
What a bunch of maroons.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 23rd, 2022, 8:47 pm

March 23rd, 2022, 5:54 pm
And this right here is why the entire GOP is a farce. A very scary one.
Republican Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama said on Wednesday that former President Donald Trump pressed him to illegally remove President Joe Biden from office and hold a new presidential election, moves that are both unconstitutional.

"President Trump asked me to rescind the 2020 elections, immediately remove Joe Biden from the White House, immediately put President Trump back in the White House, and hold a new special election for the presidency," Brooks said in a statement
It's all great until your lord and savior takes away his support. THEN you can be brave and say he's a horrible person that broke the law and his oath of office.
But of course, now that you are no longer in favor, nobody is listening.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mo-brooks-sa ... 08347.html
The situational ethics by the Republicans is truly incredible. And their obsession with Trump is scary. Everyone is jockeying to be the next Trump and it will be fascinating to see what happens when he dies.

I was reading earlier today about the push for rules about elected officials trading stocks and it made me think about the fact that all forms of policing of elected officials are in many ways meaningless, particularly with Republican offenders, as they will not prosecute themselves. Trump violated countless rules yet most Republicans did not have the spine to hold him responsible. But this is not solely Trump fault, nor that of the other elected Republicans. They are obeying the will of the people who elect them. Which is what is truly scary here. These are not my fellow Americans.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 23rd, 2022, 10:20 pm

Oops, sorry CB&B, you beat me to it. I always check to see if someone has already posted what I found, but somehow I was stuck on the previous page.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » March 24th, 2022, 2:33 pm

March 23rd, 2022, 9:49 am
U.S. President Joe Biden's public approval rating fell to a new low of 40% this week, a clear warning sign for his Democratic Party as it seeks to retain control of Congress in the Nov. 8 election, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll.
I don't know who is going to be running for the White House as the Democrat nominee, but it is very clear that it can't be Biden. He had a function, which was to beat Trump. He won't beat anyone again, no matter if it is Trump or another candidate.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-approv ... 16373.html
Sadly, I think this is accurate. I say sadly because I actually think Biden has done a pretty great job in a highly politicized climate of staying OUT of the news. And when he's been there, he's said things that a country can be proud of. The U.S. is back to being a good citizen of the world under his watch. And yet, it'll be very difficult for him to win re-election. That's really unfortunate.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 24th, 2022, 5:44 pm

Two years is a lifetime (or 2 or3) in politics. Just ask George H.W. Bush.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » March 24th, 2022, 8:55 pm

dudog wrote:
March 24th, 2022, 5:44 pm
Two years is a lifetime (or 2 or3) in politics. Just ask George H.W. Bush.
Yeah, but two years may be a lifetime for a 79 year old man. He’d be 86 or so at the end of a second term.

Biden’s job essentially was to not be Trump. Mission accomplished. But the Dems better have a good candidate or two ready to go in ‘24.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 25th, 2022, 12:50 am

The lead on the local news after the game was Ginny Thomas. That is perhaps the most evil couple on earth. And it is particularly ironic that all of the Republicans were harassing Judge Jackson about recusing herself from cases when Thomas refuses to do so for anything.

Unfortunately, given the nature of things in DC, there is no way to enforce anything.
dudog

Post by dudog » March 31st, 2022, 4:06 pm

Donald Trump attacking everyone did not come about when he became interested in politics. I've been going through my comics collections and am just finishing up Bloom County. This is the "dedication" for his last compilation:

"I never thought Berke Breathed had talent, so he was probably forced to quit."
Donald Trump
Albany, New York
May 4, 1989

Such a sad, sad person.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 31st, 2022, 6:05 pm

dudog wrote:
March 31st, 2022, 4:06 pm
Donald Trump attacking everyone did not come about when he became interested in politics. I've been going through my comics collections and am just finishing up Bloom County. This is the "dedication" for his last compilation:

"I never thought Berke Breathed had talent, so he was probably forced to quit."
Donald Trump
Albany, New York
May 4, 1989

Such a sad, sad person.
Ha!

Sharing the following since it's keeping off-topic on-topic. BB shared this to his FB page a couple days ago.
"June 13, 1982. As God is my witness I never imagined I would draw another cat after this strip. It was a Garfield riff. Life is funny. -bb"
BloomCountyBill.png
dudog

Post by dudog » April 6th, 2022, 5:36 pm

Fox News can't even pretend to be a news organization anymore. They showed edited clips to argue that Biden is losing his mind.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

Am I wrong to think this is borderline treasonous? I mean, he's the leader of our country. Making him look weak only serves one purpose, and that purpose is certainly not in America's best interest, especially internationally.
dudog

Post by dudog » April 9th, 2022, 9:37 am

Why does this not surprise me?

"Records of foreign gifts given to Trump and Pence in 2020 are missing, State Department says"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
the Trump White House violated the foreign emoluments clause of the Constitution, which makes it illegal to take gifts from foreigners without permission from Congress.

However, the clause has no criminal or civil penalties, which he said makes it extremely difficult to hold former officials accountable.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 14th, 2022, 2:50 pm

How bizarre.
RNC out of the POTUS debates, unanimously.
The Republican National Committee voted unanimously on Thursday to withdraw from its participation in the Commission on Presidential Debates, the organization that has long governed general-election presidential debates.

In a statement, RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said the commission is "biased and has refused to enact simple and commonsense reforms to help ensure fair debates including hosting debates before voting begins and selecting moderators who have never worked for candidates on the debate stage."
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/14/politics ... index.html
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » April 19th, 2022, 3:48 pm

I was traveling this weekend, and wish this opinion had come out about 12 hours later. I was stuck near a bunch of people who were celebrating the decision, as if the disease goes away because a judge makes a piss-poor ruling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/18/us/p ... lanes.html

And yes, this absolutely deserves to be in the politics thread. Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle is the youngest Trump appointee given a lifetime federal judicial appointment, was confirmed by the Senate on a party-line vote (the Senate changed cloture rule from 30 hours' debate to two back in 2019), during the lame duck session, and was deemed Not Qualified by the ABA because she didn't have sufficient practical experience. Virtually every citation in her opinion that refers to a named judge or justice is to a Republican appointee. (I found before two outliers citing Democratic appointees, the most recent of which was Byron White, before I decided I was wasting my time.) It's an excruciating exercise in what I call "targeted textualism", which is where interpretive alternatives are not mentioned or are deliberately excluded in order to reach the desired result. It's a very weak ruling, IMO, and shows why the ABA voted the way they did.
dudog

Post by dudog » April 19th, 2022, 6:01 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 3:48 pm
I was traveling this weekend, and wish this opinion had come out about 12 hours later. I was stuck near a bunch of people who were celebrating the decision, as if the disease goes away because a judge makes a piss-poor ruling.

And yes, this absolutely deserves to be in the politics thread. Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle is the youngest Trump appointee given a lifetime federal judicial appointment, was confirmed by the Senate on a party-line vote (the Senate changed cloture rule from 30 hours' debate to two back in 2019), during the lame duck session, and was deemed Not Qualified by the ABA because she didn't have sufficient practical experience. Virtually every citation in her opinion that refers to a named judge or justice is to a Republican appointee. (I found before two outliers citing Democratic appointees, the most recent of which was Byron White, before I decided I was wasting my time.) It's an excruciating exercise in what I call "targeted textualism", which is where interpretive alternatives are not mentioned or are deliberately excluded in order to reach the desired result. It's a very weak ruling, IMO, and shows why the ABA voted the way they did.
C'mon. You'd really rather have doctors making health policy decisions than judges? Don't you know that the pre-law curriculum at colleges has a heavy emphasis on science, over 2/3 of the questions on the LSATs are science-related, and much of the course work at the best law schools is about science, specifically medicine?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 20th, 2022, 7:32 am

Phredd3 wrote:

Thanks for confirming what I suspected to be the case. What the heck IS the CDC’s job if not to do exactly what they did? Is it also unconstitutional to make restaurant workers wash their hands after using the restroom?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OPK

Post by OPK » April 20th, 2022, 7:33 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
April 20th, 2022, 7:32 am
Phredd3 wrote:

Thanks for confirming what I suspected to be the case. What the heck IS the CDC’s job if not to do exactly what they did? Is it also unconstitutional to make restaurant workers wash their hands after using the restroom?
“My hands, my choice”