LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:33 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Just found a great use for the bacon grease I've been saving: I made fried squash for supper. Why haven't I always made fried squash using bacon grease? Yum-my! I didn't use a ton; I used it to coat my cast iron skillet.

Pop quiz: what items in the above post would be a dead giveaway that I'm a Southern girl? My post name doesn't count.
1. bacon grease
2. fried squash
3. bacon grease for fried squash

Is that enough? :roll: ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 8:36 pm

devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:Excellent. Someone with which to share this overwhelming workload... :oops: :roll: :))
With whom. :-B
Sounds like the grammar police from over yonder... :roll: ;)
The Chief of Grammar Police over yonder and the CTN Chief of Grammar Police are one and the same. :-B :ar!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:36 pm

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Just found a great use for the bacon grease I've been saving: I made fried squash for supper. Why haven't I always made fried squash using bacon grease? Yum-my! I didn't use a ton; I used it to coat my cast iron skillet.

Pop quiz: what items in the above post would be a dead giveaway that I'm a Southern girl? My post name doesn't count.
The best thing in the world: Fried green tomato BLTs. Fry your bacon, set it aside to drain and crisp, and then fry your tomatoes in your bacon grease. Lightly toasted bread, light coating of mayonnaise, and black pepper to taste. This sandwich is what they hand you at the Pearly Gates.
No they don't. You get a vinegar-based pulled BBQ sandwich. With slaw. And a side of hush puppies. And a swayt tay. With refills.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:37 pm

devildeac wrote:
wilson wrote:

The best thing in the world: Fried green tomato BLTs. Fry your bacon, set it aside to drain and crisp, and then fry your tomatoes in your bacon grease. Lightly toasted bread, light coating of mayonnaise, and black pepper to taste. This sandwich is what they hand you at the Pearly Gates.
No they don't. You get a vinegar-based pulled BBQ sandwich. With slaw. And a side of hush puppies. And a swayt tay. With refills.
And two servings of 'naner puddin'. With your choice of meringue OR whipped cream. Not Cool Whip.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:38 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wilson wrote:Does the pope shit in the woods?
I sure hope not. He might get eaten by a bear.
A Catholic bear...

:roll:
:))
=))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Would that be the cast iron skillet? Or the constant references to NASCAR?
No NASCAR references from me. I'm one of the few people in the board who does not follow NASCAR. (Is that grammatically correct, wilson?)
I am another one...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:41 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:With whom. :-B
Sounds like the grammar police from over yonder... :roll: ;)
The Chief of Grammar Police over yonder and the CTN Chief of Grammar Police are one and the same. :-B :ar!
Two timer.

Double dipper.

:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:57 pm

Hmm, wonder what colchar is planning for #1000?

A manifesto?

A marriage proposal?

A review of Canadian whiskeys?

We're waiting...
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 9:03 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:No they don't. You get a vinegar-based pulled BBQ sandwich. With slaw. And a side of hush puppies. And a swayt tay. With refills.
And two servings of 'naner puddin'. With your choice of meringue OR whipped cream. Not Cool Whip.
I can get with all of this. But the thing is, you've never had my mother's banana pudding, so you've never had banana pudding.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 22nd, 2009, 9:05 pm

Someone here doesn't follow NASCAR. For shame.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 9:09 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Someone here doesn't follow NASCAR. For shame.
I don't much follow it either...I vaguely know what's going on and who's good, but ever since Rusty Wallace retired, it's just not the same for me.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 22nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

OK, back from the scrimmage and other stuff, and all caught up on the LTE2.0, for the moment at least.

To answer Cathy's and BON's tiny tiny question, the residential widget costs $600 and must be installed by a licensed electrician, which of course costs extra. In the Triangle area, my electrician will do the install for (my cost) $100 and I make nothing at that price. Out of the Triangle, he's going to charge for travel time, so it should be cheaper to get a local electrician to install it. Installation takes less than 30 minutes, so his minimum labor charge would typically apply. Other than the device, he will need to supply a 2-pole 20 amp breaker (<$10 at Lowe's or Home Depot) and a short piece of flexible conduit, which he shouldn't charge your for. As for the cost of the unit, I will discount 10% for CTN friends. carolina fans can add 25% to the price.

The widget must be installed by a licensed electrician because
A) it is much safer for you that way
B) the manufacturer's warranty, when you send it in to start/validate the warranty, requires the electrician's company name and license number on it, or the warranty is void
The unit has a 10 year warranty and a 20 year expected service life. There is no maintenance/service required and if it fails you will get a new widget.

The widget does three things for you
1) it will save you 5 to 15% every month on your electric bill by reducing the kWH (kilowatt hours) you use. Most typical is 8 to 11%. It also reduces the kW demand if you are paying for that, as commercial and industrial users do or if you are billed on a Time of Use Demand rate program, as I am.
2) it gives you surge suppression, including lightning protection, which will extend the life of most electronics in your house, even by just diminishing the minor transients. It has a $25,000 connected equipment warranty, secondary to your homeowners insurance, if a direct lightening strike damages the unit and lightning gets through it to damage your stuff. Basically, it will pay for your deductible on your insurance claim, and pick up any unpaid damages if you have a per item limit in your homeowners policy (I saw one the other day where insurance would only pay for $1000 worth of lightning damage per item. This extra coverage, while $25,000 overall, has a $2,500 per item limit.
3) the harmonic filter will let all your motors run cooler because they get a cleaner wave form on the power. This in turn keeps motors running longer (life-wise) and you pick up a tiny bit more efficiency as well. And if the motors are inside your house, like your refrigerator, washing machine, drier, etc., generating less heat means you have less heat to cool with AC.

For those not in this area, I will ship the widget to you for $15 to $20. NC residents must add state sales tax to the equipment price.

Here's the web site again for those who are interested in saving money on their electric bills and protecting their electrical equipment in their house. Note the product brochure and warranty info can be downloaded from links at the bottom of the page.
http://www.continentalpowerworx.com/residential
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 22nd, 2009, 9:30 pm

If you plan to live in your house or condo for 2 to 3 years, you should have this as it will pay for itself. And if/when you move, it can easily be disconnected and reinstalled in your new house.

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 22nd, 2009, 9:39 pm

I don't follow it, either.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 9:40 pm

Gratuitous, meaningless, martini-induced post. :-?? :ar!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 22nd, 2009, 9:47 pm

CathyCA wrote:
I don't follow it, either.
I don't follow NASCAR as a rule, but I have so many friends that do that I know who the drivers are and that you can't mix a Jr. fan with a Tony Stewart fan, etc.

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 22nd, 2009, 9:49 pm

devildeac wrote:

1. bacon grease
2. fried squash
3. bacon grease for fried squash

Is that enough? :roll: ;)
Not bad. I would've said "saving bacon grease" (one of the hallmarks of a good southern cook) and might have added the fact that I own a cast iron skillet. Are they staples of the well-equipped Yankee kitchen as well?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 9:52 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I would've said "saving bacon grease" (one of the hallmarks of a good southern cook) and might have added the fact that I own a cast iron skillet. Are they staples of the well-equipped Yankee kitchen as well?
I thought most yankees just had kitchenettes? =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 10:11 pm

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:No they don't. You get a vinegar-based pulled BBQ sandwich. With slaw. And a side of hush puppies. And a swayt tay. With refills.
I can get with all of this. But the thing is, you've never had my mother's banana pudding, so you've never had banana pudding.
This is just too easy a door to walk through and ask:

Which means she'll be preparing some and sending it with you to one of the Brunchgates, correct? :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 10:12 pm

Dang, there are no members here at this time to add to the new thread... :(