Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 28th, 2009, 10:01 pm

devildeac wrote: Will we see some next Saturday? :D
I feel the Juju for gameday.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2009, 10:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote: Will we see some next Saturday? :D
I feel the Juju for gameday.
Now, if we could only get the (capt)mojo with the juju...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA-Heck, I can't remember if I reviewed this last week and I tried the search and found no results so I'll/re-review it tonight. A very pleasant session IPA. A bit more piney and a bit less floral than the Bridgeport with little, if any citrus. Clean and crisp. Not bottle conditioned. IBU probably 50-60 and ABV is 6%. Makes a nice dinner beverage with mild grilled fish or chicken and some veggies. It's part of my tasting session tonight with a Great Divide IPA :D . You'll see some DFH next Saturday. Several varieties. :D
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » August 28th, 2009, 10:13 pm

devildeac wrote:Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA-Heck, I can't remember if I reviewed this last week and I tried the search and found no results so I'll/re-review it tonight. A very pleasant session IPA. A bit more piney and a bit less floral than the Bridgeport with little, if any citrus. Clean and crisp. Not bottle conditioned. IBU probably 50-60 and ABV is 6%. Makes a nice dinner beverage with mild grilled fish or chicken and some veggies. It's part of my tasting session tonight with a Great Divide IPA :D . You'll see some DFH next Saturday. Several varieties. :D
I had this last week too. Enjoyable and much more well-balanced than I expected. I prefer the 90-minute (what can I say, I never tire of hops), but this is a good sessionable beer.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 28th, 2009, 10:34 pm

rockymtn devil wrote: I had this last week too. Enjoyable and much more well-balanced than I expected. I prefer the 90-minute (what can I say, I never tire of hops), but this is a good sessionable beer.
Agreed with that..it's a good one just to sit and enjoy a few for whatever reason. The 90 minute is way tasty, but the 60 is worth the price to take home often.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 28th, 2009, 10:54 pm

devildeac wrote:Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA-Heck, I can't remember if I reviewed this last week and I tried the search and found no results so I'll/re-review it tonight. A very pleasant session IPA. A bit more piney and a bit less floral than the Bridgeport with little, if any citrus. Clean and crisp. Not bottle conditioned. IBU probably 50-60 and ABV is 6%. Makes a nice dinner beverage with mild grilled fish or chicken and some veggies. It's part of my tasting session tonight with a Great Divide IPA :D . You'll see some DFH next Saturday. Several varieties. :D
I LOVE the Great Divide Titan IPA. If, by chance, you and the fellow DDs make it to Colorado this winter, I'll have a bottle of GD's Hercules IIPA waiting (on a side note, I'm no scholar, but wouldn't Titans be more fierce than Hercules?; if so, GD got the names mixed up).
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » August 28th, 2009, 10:55 pm

rockymtn devil wrote: I had this last week too. Enjoyable and much more well-balanced than I expected. I prefer the 90-minute (what can I say, I never tire of hops), but this is a good sessionable beer.
Agreed with that..it's a good one just to sit and enjoy a few for whatever reason. The 90 minute is way tasty, but the 60 is worth the price to take home often.
Exactly. The 90-Minute comes in 4 packs for a reason. The 60 Minute is a drinkable beer, which I love, especially during football season.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2009, 11:29 pm

I hadn't enjoyed a 60 Minute for a couple years and glad I grabbed a 6er last week. Agree with your thoughts, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2009, 11:31 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
I LOVE the Great Divide Titan IPA. If, by chance, you and the fellow DDs make it to Colorado this winter, I'll have a bottle of GD's Hercules IIPA waiting (on a side note, I'm no scholar, but wouldn't Titans be more fierce than Hercules?; if so, GD got the names mixed up).
I'm not sure who wins either, Hercules or Titan...

Perhaps some of our historians might chime in here... :roll:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 28th, 2009, 11:59 pm

devildeac wrote:I'm not sure who wins either, Hercules or Titan...

I'd probably go with Hercules. Both he and the Titans were demigods, but Hercules was more revered (regarded as something of a patron of humankind), and the Titans really only functioned best as a 12-person unit. Hercules could easily take any Titan one-on-one.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 6:57 am

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:I'm not sure who wins either, Hercules or Titan...

I'd probably go with Hercules. Both he and the Titans were demigods, but Hercules was more revered (regarded as something of a patron of humankind), and the Titans really only functioned best as a 12-person unit. Hercules could easily take any Titan one-on-one.
Sounds like we have our victor.

Thanks!
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 11:18 am

Anything I should have from the Boston area before I get out of town?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 12:37 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Anything I should have from the Boston area before I get out of town?
Have one of the Allagash specialty brews like their anniversary ale or Grand Cru.

Or, page/PM bluebear and get a better suggestion from him. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 29th, 2009, 2:04 pm

I'm bottling my "everygrainIhadleftover" brew today. Almost 6 months in the fermenter. Should be interesting. Also, I'm gonna have to get some supplies for my next batch. I might just order a kit for the first, I don't think I'll have time to get to the grain store soon and I'd like to get it started before this week. That way we'll have two homebrews for the second tailgate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 2:10 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm bottling my "everygrainIhadleftover" brew today. Almost 6 months in the fermenter. Should be interesting. Also, I'm gonna have to get some supplies for my next batch. I might just order a kit for the first, I don't think I'll have time to get to the grain store soon and I'd like to get it started before this week. That way we'll have two homebrews for the second tailgate.
And I'll have two thirsts...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 29th, 2009, 3:43 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm bottling my "everygrainIhadleftover" brew today. Almost 6 months in the fermenter. Should be interesting. Also, I'm gonna have to get some supplies for my next batch. I might just order a kit for the first, I don't think I'll have time to get to the grain store soon and I'd like to get it started before this week. That way we'll have two homebrews for the second tailgate.
And I'll have two thirsts...
I ordered the Scotch Ale, that was a good one from last year. Maybe I'll save a few longer than I did, but I doubt it. I also ordered a new fermenter, I need to replace both of them, but one at time. Ordered from Asheville brewing supply, he is always good about speedy delivery, so I'm hoping I'll have it Wednesday.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 7:37 pm

I watching the Sox on NESN and a beer vendor keeps yelling, in hearing distance of the mics, "Cold beer light." I wonder brand that is exactly.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » August 29th, 2009, 8:10 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Anything I should have from the Boston area before I get out of town?
Best of luck with the move and the new job..

Allagash is a great recommendation..Their standard belgian beers (dubbel, trippel, etc) are great but I'd go with either Curieux or Interlude..Both are relatively easy to find around here..
Pretty Things..A very small craft brewer from Western MA..They only have 4-5 beers out there but all are good and also relatively easy to find.
Berkshire Brewing Company and People's Pint are also both very good local brewers but a bit harder to find..a few places downtown carry them..
Lastly, you might not have time before you leave but the best beer around here is probably up at Portsmouth Brewery..Definitely worth the ride up for a good meal at the brewery, try some of the beer, and then carry out some bombers to enjoy once you settle into your new place...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 29th, 2009, 9:08 pm

I saw this and thought of you guys here in the Ymm, Beer thread:

Our lager, Which art in barrels, Hallowed be thy drink, Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk), At home as I am in the tavern. Give us this day our foamy... head, And forgive us our spillages, As we forgive those who spill against us..., and lead us not to incarceration, But deliver us from hangovers. *hiccup*
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2009, 11:19 pm

CathyCA wrote:I saw this and thought of you guys here in the Ymm, Beer thread:

Our lager, Which art in barrels, Hallowed be thy drink, Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk), At home as I am in the tavern. Give us this day our foamy... head, And forgive us our spillages, As we forgive those who spill against us..., and lead us not to incarceration, But deliver us from hangovers. *hiccup*
thanks for sharing. amusing.