Weather Check!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Weather Check!

Post by ArkieDukie » February 1st, 2011, 6:10 am

We have a new forecast: less ice, more snow. As in, 10-20 inches of snow. We're under a blizzard warning! :twitch: Less ice, good. More snow, okay. Blowing snow and white-out conditions? I'll be staying indoors if that happens.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 7:37 am

ArkieDukie wrote:We have a new forecast: less ice, more snow. As in, 10-20 inches of snow. We're under a blizzard warning! :twitch: Less ice, good. More snow, okay. Blowing snow and white-out conditions? I'll be staying indoors if that happens.
Stay safe and warm!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » February 1st, 2011, 8:45 am

ArkieDukie wrote:We have a new forecast: less ice, more snow. As in, 10-20 inches of snow. We're under a blizzard warning! :twitch: Less ice, good. More snow, okay. Blowing snow and white-out conditions? I'll be staying indoors if that happens.
I hope this is an improvement, particularly regarding the possibility of losing power and getting to work for those who must.... such as my nephew's wife who is a trauma nurse.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 1st, 2011, 9:44 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
I hope this is an improvement, particularly regarding the possibility of losing power and getting to work for those who must.... such as my nephew's wife who is a trauma nurse.
Be careful, AD! As you said, it's better to have the snow than the ice, but white-out conditions are scary.

DitBD, I guess you heard our weather guys are calling for sun and 60's tomorrow. Think I should drive the convertible to work? :happy-bouncyblue: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 1st, 2011, 10:04 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Be careful, AD! As you said, it's better to have the snow than the ice, but white-out conditions are scary.

DitBD, I guess you heard our weather guys are calling for sun and 60's tomorrow. Think I should drive the convertible to work? :happy-bouncyblue: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Some local hospitals reserved rooms at nearby hotels for key personnel around here. We didn't get as much ice and the snow started this am. We also are supposed to have blizzard conditions and get up to 15 inches of snow. I'll believe the snow amount when I see it. Not sure how long I'll be at the office today.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 1st, 2011, 10:07 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
Some local hospitals reserved rooms at nearby hotels for key personnel around here. We didn't get as much ice and the snow started this am. We also are supposed to have blizzard conditions and get up to 15 inches of snow. I'll believe the snow amount when I see it. Not sure how long I'll be at the office today.
DinK, you be careful too!
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 1st, 2011, 10:09 am

Vibes for safe and warm days ahead for those of you in blizzard's path. All reports seem to indicate that it's gonna be a doozie. Still just chilly and dreary here.
I often say that I enjoy all four seasons in their time, and I really do, but I think I'll really be ready for spring to arrive this year. Whoever told us back in the fall that we were going to have a mild winter (I seem to recall a few "experts" even saying it would be a "warm" winter) was resoundingly incorrect.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » February 1st, 2011, 10:43 am

lawgrad91 wrote:

My understanding, based on a presentation last night, is that the high will be in the middle of the night and that the temperatures will fall during the day. Wind gusts up to 40 mph are anticipated during the day. The meteorologist specifically noted that hair problems will be rampant.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 1st, 2011, 11:01 am

The Weather Channel said (@ 11am) that tomorrow in the Triad will be "clearing and windy. High 62. Wind WSW 20-30 mph."

Even though my hair is short, I'll still gel it, just in case.
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 1st, 2011, 11:03 am

Wind advisory here today too. I'll definitely be bundling up if/when I venture out anywhere.
Sadly, though, I don't have much of anywhere to go at the moment. I'm really starting to get bored... @-) (-| :-w
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 1st, 2011, 5:45 pm

Well, our forecast has changed again. Now they're saying we're only getting 3-5 inches of snow. Our forecast has always been a bit dicey because we're right on the edge of the front. We ended up with more sleet than they originally thought. My boss and his wife just gave me a ride home, and the roads are covered but not terribly slick. Dare I say it: I'm a bit disappointed that we're not getting much snow.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 1st, 2011, 5:55 pm

It's 45 and exceptionally dreary here at the moment. One thing I've definitely learned this winter: humidity accentuates cold just as much as it does heat. It somehow soaks into one's bones, and a seemingly not-so-cold temperature seems a lot more biting when it's damp out.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » February 1st, 2011, 6:00 pm

wilson wrote:It's 45 and exceptionally dreary here at the moment. One thing I've definitely learned this winter: humidity accentuates cold just as much as it does heat. It somehow soaks into one's bones, and a seemingly not-so-cold temperature seems a lot more biting when it's damp out.
What a great night for chili! :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 1st, 2011, 6:24 pm

DitBD, Barnes-Jewish actually reserved rooms at a couple of nearby hotels for nurses. Fortunately things aren't so bad right now. Snow is getting ready to hit now - we currently have 2-3 inches of sleet on the ground. (I under-estimated earlier)
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 1st, 2011, 6:30 pm

wilson wrote:It's 45 and exceptionally dreary here at the moment. One thing I've definitely learned this winter: humidity accentuates cold just as much as it does heat. It somehow soaks into one's bones, and a seemingly not-so-cold temperature seems a lot more biting when it's damp out.
Chili is not 'til next week. I am smoking my own chilies later this week to make wilson's secret chili powder blend, then making honest-to-goodness chili from scratch next Monday. I'm very excited.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » February 1st, 2011, 7:14 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DitBD, Barnes-Jewish actually reserved rooms at a couple of nearby hotels for nurses. Fortunately things aren't so bad right now. Snow is getting ready to hit now - we currently have 2-3 inches of sleet on the ground. (I under-estimated earlier)
Thank you for keeping me posted. I have family in the area and appreciate your updates.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 1st, 2011, 7:25 pm

Left work around noon - even though I have a very short commute. Shoveled 5-6 inches, finishing about 1pm. Went out again around 4 - had about 1.5 feet drifted in front of the garage and 2.5 feet along the front walk. Since we have privately owned streets, we hire snowplows. The nice gentleman turned around in my driveway, dropping the blade as he backed out. :D :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: It saved me a lot of shoveling!

Supposed to snow until 10pm or so with lots of wind. They are predicting 4 to 6 foot drifts.
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 1st, 2011, 8:17 pm

wilson wrote:
Chili is not 'til next week. I am smoking my own chilies later this week to make wilson's secret chili powder blend, then making honest-to-goodness chili from scratch next Monday. I'm very excited.
Your chili is the best Wilson. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 1st, 2011, 8:45 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Left work around noon - even though I have a very short commute. Shoveled 5-6 inches, finishing about 1pm. Went out again around 4 - had about 1.5 feet drifted in front of the garage and 2.5 feet along the front walk. Since we have privately owned streets, we hire snowplows. The nice gentleman turned around in my driveway, dropping the blade as he backed out. :D :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: It saved me a lot of shoveling!

Supposed to snow until 10pm or so with lots of wind. They are predicting 4 to 6 foot drifts.
I feel for you. (insert cold and shivering smilie here)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 1st, 2011, 8:47 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: My boss and his wife just gave me a ride home, and the roads are covered but not terribly slick.
This makes finding parking spaces much easier. :-BD :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"