Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » July 7th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Eager to Bleed (draft)-The Veil Brewing Company in collaboration with Angry Chair Brewing (about which I know nothing-yet)

Another local two ounce taster, this one was their first imperial Berliner Weisse.

"... brewed with blood orange, raspberry and sweet cherry"

Appearance was orange-pink with a sweet and tart/sour nose. Berries and orange scents and flavors caress the senses with a bit of pucker along with some lemon/lime (not added). I'll guess IBUs of 10 and the ABV is 8%, rather high for the style but not quite in the same zip code as Southern Pines' Moscow Mule at 12% .

This is another that will have to be seen and tasted by the recipients fingered upthread.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 8th, 2019, 10:29 pm

We Ded Mon (draft)-The Veil Brewing Company

Locally consumed Saturday evening.

An IIIPA-see prior post

Twelve ounce pour into a Teku glass with a cloudy, yellow-orange hue and a foamy, meringue-like head. Amazingly fruity nose with pineapple, grapefruit, orange, mango and papaya and a thick, almost puree-like mouthfeel bursting with more juiciness, rind-y/pulpy bitterness and a slight alcohol burn. I'll guess IBUs about 70 based on the style, maybe 80-90 even that balance well with the dangerous 11% ABV. Well worth the $7 cost. If they had 4 packs of this, one would have been included in the assorted case I brought home to share/trade and I'd have likely left out the pale ale which I'm going to guess will still be very good.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 9th, 2019, 8:02 pm

From 7/6/19:
devildeac wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 10:34 pm
Tessellation-Lone Pine Brewing Company

Second of a Maine series from fuse. Thanks!!

Pint can of this single hop (Mosaic) IIPA poured last PM with vigor into a pint glass (two 8 ounce servings) last PM.

Mildly hazy, golden-yellow with a creamy/foamy off-white head. Juicy scents of pineapple, grapefruit and orange with tastes of the same with strawberry, guava and melons. I'll guess about 60 IBUs and the ABV was 8.1%. High quality stuff here in a very crowded field.
From last PM, its cute, baby sister:

Tiny Tess-Lone Pine Brewing Company

0smudge/09/2019 on bottom of can

Third Maine beer with another "well done and thank you" to fuse!

Pint can of this single hop (Mosaic) IPA poured in a similar fashion to above.

This was a pale, pineapple-yellow with more of a fizzy head. Think "Tropicana tropical juice blend light" with less strawberry, guava and melons from the aromatic and palate perspectives. The ABV was 4.05% () so I'll guess they used half the grain bill, therefore, half the hop bill so I'll guess IBUs about half of the above. It was a session IPA and competes very nicely in the field and is a rather understated beverage that I enjoyed a lot. It doesn't have to be highly hopped, barrel-aged or high ABV to be good.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Gunner's Daughter-Mast Landing Brewing Company

Another winner from fuse's recent draft and stash from his recent Maine beer-cation. Thanks!

Pretty much a peanut butter, chocolate, latte milkshake (oh my!).

Pour from a pint can into a standard pint glass (two fairly equal half pint aliquots) brought forth a dark brown-hued elixir with an combination latte/milkshake head. Nose was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup whilst sipping a medium roast iced coffee. Tastes? Well, simply drop the candy into the java, blend thoroughly and sip. Rich coffee, milk chocolate, cream (it's a milk stout so it's made with lactose) and Peter Pan creamy. IBUs? Who cares? It's dessert! The ABV was 5.5%. I think this would make a great beer float if a scoop or two of your favorite vanilla bean ice cream were plopped into the pint glass with 6-8 ounces of this brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Hop Rooted-Brewed and canned by Bearwaters Brewing Company for 7 Clans Brewing

Pretty average American-style IPA brewed with lots of Centennial hops giving it moderately bitter notes of pine and resin with its estimated 60-70 IBUs and 6.5% ABV.

This was included in my June 4 pack and for about $1.75, I'm not too upset but wouldn't buy any more of it or visit the brewery.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2019, 10:45 pm

A much better drop:

Mega GBS-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

A 3 mug salute to accfanfrom1970 for picking up 5 complete sets of GBS in December so fuse could have his chauffeur ferry him up to Richmond to load our 4 cases for NC delivery!

Poured into little snifters from a 750 ml bottle and divided over 2 nights earlier this week. Appearance was dark, dark brown with a small, tan head. Think GBS that's been in the beer weight room for several months, meaning even stronger aromas of cinnamon, vanilla, ginger with more potent flavors to match with a touch of dark honey at the finish. I'd swear there's dark chocolate in there but none is added. Hints of coffee also appear on the palate but none is added. IBUs are the same as the original GBS at 55 but the ABV is higher at 10.5% vs the ~9% for the original. A superb inclusion in GBS The Complete Set, even on two consecutive hot, steamy July nights.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Old Stone House-New Sarum Brewing

Stamped on bottom of can:

Canned 4/28/19
#GETSTONED

Drink local! Well, drink what was left in fridge from prior residents while managing to exclude buschlite, bud, corona, michelob ultra and even Aviator's Mad Beach.

Pour from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass yielded a light copper beverage with a moderate and foamy off-white head. Nice mixed bouquet of melons and citrus with hints of pine. The 8 anonymous hops mentioned on the can brought forth the same tastes with some rind and resin at the finish. I'll guess 60 IBUs with the ABV at 7.8%, bordering on IIPA territory.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Key Lime Pie-Funky Buddha

Richardjackson199's first installment/payment of "consult fees."

Poured from a 12 ounce can into two small/short wine glasses (unequally distributed-read on). Color was way more lemon than lime with a quickly disappearing, fizzy head. Smelled like freshly squeezed and lightly sweetened limeade to me. Mrs. dd said, "Smells like beer" (I'm already thinking "more for me at this point"). Tbyers11 pretty much nailed the tastes with mildly sour/tart lime with some simple syrup sweetness with a splash of vanilla (added) and barely perceptible cinnamon (also added). Graham crackers aren't an ingredient but the finish is a bit of brown sugar and graham cracker. Mrs. dd's first and only taste comment was, "Tastes like beer" (sound familiar?). I fell on the marital sword and graciously volunteered to finish her portion (). I'll guess 10 IBUs based on the style (Berliner-style wheat ale; aka Berliner Weisse) with the ABV at 5%. A very pleasant liquid dessert after an hour walk on the beach as the sun set.

Also, a very fine start to enjoying those "consult fees." Thanks!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 14th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Heavy Cream-BearWaters Brewing Company

Drink NC!

This was beer #3 in my June beer club 4 pack.

My vigorous pour from the 12 ounce can yielded a dark brown (milk) stout with a generous, foamy tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate and a bit of coffee. Tastes of coffee (not added), cream and chocolate again. Mouthfeel was a bit thin. Mildly sweet and roasty with heavy-roasted malt/grain bitterness. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 5%.

Not a bad milk stout given the BearWaters beer fuse reviewed last week and the BearWaters/7 Clan IPA I had but not good enough for me to try other brews from this brewery.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 14th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Charms and Hexes Batch 5-Banded Brewing Company

Buy local then transport across many state lines from Maine to NC! Another tip of the tulip to fuse!

Pint can dumped quickly into a small Allagash tulip (in 2 equal portions) unveiled a light yellow-gold elixir (do I see a bit of pink, too?) with a quickly disappearing, fizzy head. Nose is passion fruit (I guess) with some lemon-lime, meaning some sweet yet tartness. First taste is mild passion fruit, followed by a bit of guava bitterness that accompanies a bit of orange, strawberry and more lemon-lime. My sour sensors work first but the finish is slightly sweet. It certainly qualifies as a sour ale as labeled but the pucker is pleasant. I'll guess IBUs about 10 and the ABV is 5.2%. Very pleasant beverage to sip on whilst posting on a hot, steamy summer night. Here are their Charms and Hexes releases:

"*Next* Batch 6 (7/18/29): Hibiscus & Pineapple
Batch 5 (5/9/19): Passion Fruit & Guava
Batch 4 (2/28/19): Blackberries
Batch 3 (1/10/19): Blood Oranges
Batch 2 (11/21/18): Apples & Raspberries
Batch 1 (9/14/18): Nectarines & Strawberries"

I especially like the fact that they're going >10 years between Batches 5 & 6 .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 17th, 2019, 10:48 pm

SeaBee-Big Boss Brewing Company

Drink local!

Drink fresh!

Canned on
05/15/2019 111944

This is the last entry of my June beer club 4 pack and a pretty standard gose, not in the league with the Key Limes, other fruits or any barrel-aged varieties but a solid brew and quite the thirst quencher on a hot, steamy summer night in NC.

Pour from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass showed a pale, golden-yellow with a fizzy head that lingered a surprising amount of time. Nose of lemon-lime, salt and hints of orange with a mildly tart/sour pucker, some lemon-limeade with minimal sweetness and a bit of salt and coriander. I'll guess IBUs about 10 and the ABV was 4.5%. For about $1.75 for the can, this would be a nice intro for someone for the style.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 17th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Veridian-Banded Brewing

On bottom of can:
06/10/2019 840
In Veridian Veritas

Buy local and smuggle large quantities across state lines! Thanks fuse!!

I've lost count of what # this is from the Maine haul last month .

Pour from a half quart can into a standard pint glass (two almost equal servings) was a hazy yellow with a generous, foamy head. The orange comparisons above are quite apt both on the nose and tongue sensors. I thought there was some pineapple core and grapefruit rind tastes, too. IBUs estimate is 60 with the ABV at 6%, a bit on the lean side for an IPA.

Sounds like I might rate this a bit higher than fuse. I rather enjoyed it and do appreciate finding it in my special package!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Ideall-Port City Brewing Company

Well, maybe this was beer #4 from my June 4 pack .

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a small glass late last PM (best I could do on the road in WV ) showed up as a clean/clear, light golden color with a moderate fizzy head. Floral bouquet aromas with some light grain followed by some orange peel, spices, Belgian candi sugar, European hops and a pinch of black pepper from the Belgian yeast used to ferment this Belgian-style tripel. IBUs were 35 and the ABV was 8.5%. Good example of the style and certainly worth my $1.75 share for this month's allotment but not something I'd seek out.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2019, 11:22 pm

no. 7-Brewery Bhavana

From their members only Cellar Door series that fuse was astute enough to sign up for last summer and kind enough to include me with his extra purchases last year and again a few months ago. Thanks!

Devildeac2 opened this 750 ml bottle and lost a couple teaspoons due to excessive carbonation. Pour was a mildly cloudy light amber with a very fizzy head that disappeared fairly quickly. It's a gin barrel-aged saison so the aromas were barnyard/funk, some apples and pears and hints of booze. Tastes were the same with a bit more bitterness than expected, likely due to the addition of juniper berries to the brewing process. Gin aromas/tastes were quite subdued and far less than Hardywood's Prim Looking Stargazer and New Holland's Haute Route. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV on the bottle stated 5.2%. A very pleasant pairing with burgers and a plateful of fresh garden vegetables (tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers) from various sources. A rather under-stated beer that may have benefited from 6-12 months in those gin barrels instead of stated three months. Another very good Brewery Bhavana creation.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 20th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Hazy Miss Daisy (draft)-Zaftig Brewing Company

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zaftig

Beer #1 from a four beer flight, courtesy of devildeac2. Previously reviewed as a bottled product and even more tasty on tap.

This five ounce pour appeared as a hazy, pineapple-yellow color with a small, creamy head. Amarillo and Mosaic (!) hops confer pineapple and grapefruit juiciness to the aromas and also to the palate, along with some stone fruit, mango and papaya with minimal resin and pine. I'll guess IBUs about 40 with the ABV at 7%, ideal balance for sipping on a hot and steamy midwest summer afternoon.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Hop Swapper Batch #292 (draft)-Zaftig Brewing Company

Sample #2 from our four beer flight and hour ago, again, courtesy of devildeac2 and stolen from his glass as I'm not sure I'm going to get him to review this because: 1) he doesn't post here and 2) his name is, after all, Matt ()...

This is actually a double/imperial NEIPA as it clocks in at 9.5% . Each batch has a new variety or combination of hops with Amarillo and Idaho 7 featured in this version.

Color was lemon-pineapple-sunshine yellow with a bit smaller head than the Hazy Miss Daisy. There's a bit less tropical fruit but that's been replaced by some peach and nectarine along with hints of pine, both on the nose and coating the entire palate with some mildly thick juiciness. I'll guess IBUs around 50 and the ABV was 9.5%. An excellent hot summer afternoon sipper
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 20th, 2019, 4:37 pm

From last PM, courtesy of richardjackson199, we interrupt this NEIPA love-fest with:

Saxy Machismo-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Specimen #2 of my "consultant fees" package .

This 500 ml bottle was shared with devildeac2 as a nightcap last PM.

Poured into snifters after 15 minutes of "warm-up" time and sipped over 30 minutes.

Color was dark brown with a minimal head. Typical aromas of a Belgian-style quad appeared first with dark caramel and toffee the most prominent followed by a lot of dark, dried fruits and a bit of smoke. Tastes mirrored the aromas with some mild bourbon and wood notes, finishing with some heat from the Guajillo and Habanero peppers "thrown in" during fermentation. When chilled, this ale is superb. When warmed, the heat is still tolerable but takes away from the general greatness of a BBA Belgian-style quadruple ale, especially one from Haw River. I'm grateful to have tried this again with many thanks to richardjackson199!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 20th, 2019, 6:14 pm

One Night Stand Batch #288 (draft)-Zaftig Brewing Company

Part of a shared two flights at Zaftig.

It's a Belgian-style triple so it was a golden-straw color with a small, off-white head. Typical aromas and tastes of orange, clove, coriander, toasted wheat bread with honey and a pinch of black pepper. IBUs guessed to be about 30 and the ABV was 10%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 20th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Nuttin' 2it (draft)-Zaftig Brewing Company

This pecan brown ale was beer #4 in our flights.

Appearance was medium brown with a thin rim for a head. Smelled and tasted like a day old pecan pie that wasn't microwaved the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas. Lots of brown sugar sweetness and nutty goodness. IBUs probably about 30 and the ABV was a dangerous 10% ().
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 20th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Wee Heavy (draft)-Zaftig Brewing Company

Beer #5 in our two flights.

Not just a Scottish ale but a Scottish strong ale at 10% ABV.

Dark brown in color with a wispy head. Wonderful scents of toffee, dark caramel greeted me from the 5 ounce sample, followed by the same with hints of smoke/peat, milk chocolate, dark whole wheat toast, some dark, dried fruits and a mild alcohol burn. Grains>>>(earthy) hops here with the IBUs probably in the 30 range.