PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 20th, 2019, 10:05 pm

From 4/6/18:
devildeac wrote:
April 6th, 2018, 4:20 pm
Oooh, forgot one from Tuesday night.

Ten Fidy Barrel Aged-Oskar Blues Brewing

I'm gonna call it "local" even though the can says Longmont, CO, because they have a Brevard, NC location now.

Stovepipe can (19.2 ounces ) gifted to me by a drug rep in December or January and saved until family arrived to share (3 ways and immediately after the Collaboration Without Representation). I found another can laying on a counter at Total Wine about the same time last year and (greedily) asked if they had any more and was sadly informed they did not . Got lucky and they honored a 10% off coupon so I think it was about $11 (no typo ). I'll transport that to Ohio later this month to share with son of devildeac.

Pour was pitch black and viscous. Head was small, creamy and tan. Nose was unsweetened dark chocolate and bourbon. Mouthfeel was thick, oily and viscous (yep, repetitively redundant ). There's a really good reason they named it Ten Fidy. Tastes were fudge, chocolate covered raisins, a hint of coffee and warming bourbon from start to finish. IBUs listed at 75. ABV was 12.9%. Don't waste any time thinking about pairings as this is decadent enough by itself for dessert or a nightcap. I don't think I could finish a can of this by myself. It is a big, big beer.
Ooh, forgot one from Saturday night :

Ten Fidy Barrel Aged-Oskar Blues Brewery

Can still claims Colorado so I can't brag local.

From bottom of can:
Canned on:
10/19/18@18:42
Whiskey Business

Stovepipe can shared with our younger daughter Saturday night. Same decadent elixir as the 2018 review. Worth the splurge, this time I think about $12.50 for the 19.2 ounces.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2019, 9:53 am

Java Cask (draft)-Victory Brewing Company

Two ounce sample/taster.

Pour was a thick, dark brown with a creamy, mocha-shaded head. Liquid, dark chocolate fudge-infused/swirled with coffee and bourbon wafted to my nostrils and totally coated my taste buds. I'll guess IBUs of 60-70 based on the imperial stout style and the ABV was a stunning 14.3% but frighteningly smooth/hidden. I'm pretty sure I could have sipped myself into a dukelamere-like Dark Lord state if I had a half pint of the Haw River Vuilbaard and followed it with a half pint of Java Cask .

"This stout was created in collaboration with our friends from Philadelphia's Standard Tap and Johnny Brenda's restaurants. Using their delicious hand-roasted JB's coffee, our bourbon barrels deliver a bold and robust, chocolate malt-tinged stout."

They also make this in a blonde imperial stout variant.

Coffee blonde? (Oud) Bruin-ette? Raven-haired beauty? Yes, please. I'll have one of each.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2019, 9:54 am

Rum Barrel Aged Pineapple Thief (draft)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

The $4 half pint's appearance was almost as thick and juicy as the 450 North Brewing 420 Juice that davec provided last month when we visited Columbus, IN. Color was fresh-to-overripe pineapple. Nose was pineapple, coconut, orange, lime and dark rum and palate-tantalizing flavors matched with a thick, juicy mouthfeel. It's an imperial NEIPA so I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was a dangerous 9.4%. A beer colada? Or should that be a piña beer-lada? An amazing upgrade from an already outstanding "base" beer, Pineapple Thief. Worth a beer-hunting expedition. Here's the Bottle Revolution/SPBC description:

"This Imperial version of Pineapple Thief Fruited New England IPA was fermented with pineapple purée before being aged in Jamaican rum barrels. The beer was then brought out of barrels and dry hopped with Citra, Idaho 7, and Mosaic before being conditioned on coconut chips."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 22nd, 2019, 10:22 pm

Hotel Rendezvous-Revelry Brewing

Any recent visitors to Charleston, SC visit/sample this brewery's beverages?

Bavarian-style wheat beer. No bottled on/enjoy by date on can .

Beer #1 of my May beer club 4 pack.

Pour was a hazy, orange-yellow with a fizzy, short-lived head. All the aromas and flavors you'd expect from a wheat beer with some banana, bubble gum, clove, spices and orange with low bitterness (maybe 10 IBUs) and the ABV at 5%. Would pair nicely with a plate of fresh spring/summer fruit or some orange chicken or shrimp. I wouldn't seek this out but it was pleasant on a warm, spring evening.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 25th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Astronaut Sauce-River Rat Brewery

Can #2 from my May beer club 4 pack

(something illegible)GD 03/13/19

A brewery I've heard of but never sampled from. A nice inclusion for the month.

It's (yet another) NEIPA . Poured aggressively into a standard pint glass because the picture on the can illustrated the proper glass . Appearance resembled the 420 Juice from 450 North Brewing but I don't think any other beer will match that. Hints of orange in the pineapple-yellow color with a moderate foamy head. Juicy NEIPA indeed, meaning aroma waves of pineapple with some grapefruit, orange and rind with tastes to match, perhaps with a dollop of mango and/or papaya. Mildly but pleasantly bitter at 34 IBUs. The ABV is 5.4% so the label should indicate a "session" NEIPA . I'd drink another can of this and be willing to sample other brews from these folks.

"Astronaut Sauce pairs well with impromptu moonwalks and freeze-dried ice cream." Well, maybe not but that's their claim.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 26th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Key Lime Pie Gose-Westbrook Brewing

Beer #2 from May's beer club 4 bagger. Previously reviewed but worth a brief reminder.

A vigorous pour yielded an orange-yellow (not lime green ) elixir with a fizzy, foamy head that disappeared quickly. Lime juice and zest on the nose with the same flavors, a pinch of salt, a slight pucker and a quenched thirst followed after dinner. I'll guess IBUs less than 10 and the ABV was 4%. Would be a great intro for folks not familiar withe the style as this is a classic example of a fruited gose.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 27th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Short Crust-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Trying to redeem myself after choosing Victory over Haw River one day last week and earning a public shaming from fuse .

12/22/19 on the top rim of the cans (best buy/by dating?)

Apple and oatmeal IPA-WTH?

Northeast-style India Pale Ale-Another WTH?

From Untappd (who also labels it an "IPA-Milkshake"):

"Brewed with whole Pink Lady apples and a touch of lactose, our new IPA is finished in both the whirlpool & fermenter with almost 3 pounds per barrel of Calypso & Ekuanot hops!" (They left out the "oats.")

Poured with vigor from a 16 ounce can into a standard pint glass, allowing for two fairly equal portions, the second serving was more cloudy than the first and I (thankfully) left about a teaspoon of mostly sediment in the can. Unfiltered apple cider appearance with a moderate, foamy head. Fermented cider on the nose with a smooth mouthfeel (from the oats) and lots of apples and some melons and peaches on the palate. Untappd lists 28 IBUs so minimally bitter. ABV was 7.1%. Not quite a "milkshake IPA," but, it they had added a hint of vanilla and maybe some cinnamon...

I think devildeac2 gets a can delivered next month and fuse will have a trader, too, leaving another pint for me which I'll gladly sip again sometime during the next few weeks. Another somewhat unusual yet high quality creation from Saxapahaw, NC.

Drink local!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 3rd, 2019, 10:28 pm

Classic-Blackberry Farm Brewery

This was actually my final brew from my May beer club 4 pack and my second ever BFB offering.

Their description:

"This Belgian-style Saison features European noble-type hops, authentic Belgian Saison yeast and the finest European two-row malt."

I poured it rapidly from a 12 ounce can into my large Ommegang tulip and discovered a hazy, straw-yellow colored ale with a generous fizzy head that has diminished to a thin, off-white ring after 10 minutes of sipping. Floral and wet straw aromas confront me first, followed by a pinch or two of black pepper, some underripe apples and pears, lightly toasted grains, flowers and a wet blanket finish. Not really as complex as I described it, but a wonderful example of the style. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV is 6.3%. I'd enjoy this with some roasted turkey on multi-grain bread with a hunk of Havarti cheese, a couple slices of tomato and some garlic aioli.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 4th, 2019, 10:09 pm

From 5/7/17:
devildeac wrote:
May 7th, 2017, 11:04 am
Pommier Sauvage-New Glarus Brewing Company

This was a limited release only available at the brewery on 9/24/16, IIRC.

Apple cider champagne!

My tasting was not too much different than the esteemed fuse's except I perceived no dirty barnyard horse stall though there was a bit of funky sourness to it. Effervescent. Mildly sour on the tastebuds and less apple-y than I thought it might be but nowhere near Sour Patch/Jolly Rancher/Warhead type sour. Almost a bit vinous. Paired nicely with a shared 4 item seafood dinner at the NC coast last PM. A dessert pairing would most certainly work, too. IBUs at 6 and ABV of 5.2%.

I've still got my 2nd bottle and not quite sure whether it'll be a celebration beer this coming weekend for a couple graduations or age another 6 months until a tailgate...
From tonight:

Cache Flow Apple-Taxman Brewing Company

Bottled on 08/08/18 (500 ml; can't remember if this was $7.20 or $8 with my 20% quantity discount; a great price for the quality/style)

Why? Because tonight's sour blonde ale really, really reminded me of Pommier Sauvage from New Glarus Brewing Company.

Fuse covers the color, nose and tastes and I'll stand by my declaration/comparison to what tastes an apple cider champagne might have. IBUs of 6 and ABV of 6%, again eerily similar to Pommier Sauvage. I sipped this over the last 30 minutes after some yard work and a walk but would readily pair a sour blonde, bottle-conditioned ale like this with a fruit plate or some sweet and sour shrimp or chicken. Delightful beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 5th, 2019, 10:56 pm

Cellar Door no.3-Brewery Bhavana

From the label:

"The first beer ever brewed on our tiny, 3-barrel pilot brewing system, it's a blend of American and bourbon barrel-aged English barleywines."

I had given up on trying to like/enjoy barleywines. Fuse traded me this early this year. I have an open mind. I have been changed. This was outstanding.

Poured moderately aggressively from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter each of the last two nights.

Appearance: Medium to dark brown with a foamy, tan head
Nose: Earthy, (legal) herbal, dark fruits
Mouthfeel: Soft and creamy
Tastes: Raisins, dates, figs, toffee, dark caramel, vanilla and wood with a warming bourbon finish
IBU: 60-70 (estimated); not harsh at all
ABV: 10.3% and so easy to sip

Overall impression: More English than American-style barleywine with very malt forward flavors. This would be a fabulous winter warmer and pair well with some chocolate-covered caramels/dried fruits or with a bowl of bread pudding.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2019, 7:15 am

From 2/11/17:
devildeac wrote:
February 11th, 2017, 10:42 am
Steak Knives (draft at brewery)-Fullsteam Brewing

Pour was an almost black, thinly-headed imperial version of their outstanding Coffee is for Closers. Wonderful espresso aromas with a smooth and silky but thick and almost chewy mouthfeel. Tastes of dark roast coffee, dark chocolate and dark fruits with some black strap molasses. Did I mention that this is one helluva dark beer ? I'll guess IBUs about 40-50 and the ABV was 11% so quite the start for the evening's tastings. Would be decadent with any chocolate dessert or bread pudding but was delicious by itself, too. Would have been $40 for a 64 ounce growler and fuse (in absentia) and I decided not to purchase that large a quantity at that large a price

I warned y'all. From last PM:

Steak Knives-Fullsteam Brewing

Imperial stout with coffee and lactose (thereby making it an imperial milk stout)

On bottom of pint can:

(smudge) 8/19
(smudge) ED

Poured with vigor into a snifter in 2 equal portions and rewarded with a foamy, mocha head, covering a dark brown elixir. Ahh, smells like coffee and milk chocolate and tastes like it, too. Mouthfeel was a bit thin with a bit less flavor than the 2017 tasting but that was a half pint draft. Raisins, molasses and dates also were perceived on the palate but not adjuncts. Upon further review, I don't think this is an imperial version of Coffee is for Closers but is a stout, albeit a bit on the light side in both appearance and on the palate. I'll still guess 50 IBUs and the ABV is 12% and dangerous. Totally worth the ~$5 for the serving, especially given the cost of $5 for the eight ounce serving 2+ years ago . Highly recommended.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Let's get this flight started with:

Hey Zay (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Near the end of a four mile walk, Mrs. dd decided she was thirsty and needed to cool off a bit. At that moment, we conveniently passed by the Salty Turtle and what better place to slake a couple thirsts and re-hydrate than at the only craft-brewery within about 20-25 miles of our weekend quarters.

First four ounce pour was a NEIPA brewed with Citra, ElDorado and Mosaic hops. Appearance was hazy (d'oh!) and pineapple-yellow in color with a small head. The scents did not disappoint with pineapple, orange and guava with a juicy mouthfeel and tastes to match. No IBUs advertised so I'll guess 40. ABV stated at 6.7%. My thirst is beginning to disappear. I think I've sipped this before and my recency bias *believes* it has been improved.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Batting in the second spot was:

Manila Mango (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Milkshake session IPA with mangoes, vanilla and lactose.

Appearance was even more cloudy than Hey Zay with a hints of orange and amber hues blended with the pineapple-yellow. The mango aromas and flavors did not disappoint as vanilla, pineapple and guava played supporting roles. Very mild bitterness with IBUs estimated at 30 and the AVB at 5.6%. A beer smoothie!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Batting in the third spot was:

BruTurtle (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

No, not a guest beer from Brueprint Brewing in Apex () but their very own Brut IPA. I sent fuse a photo of the flight and he guessed it was a gose based on its pristine clear, pale yellow-straw color with pretty much no head. I think I'd have made the same mistake. Scents were subtle lemongrass and citrus and tastes were muted also with the most striking ones being its dryness and champagne-like mouthfeel. I'll guess IBUs around 20 (WTH? A low IBU IPA?) with the ABV at 7%. I'm not sure I've had enough of the style to fully judge but I thought this was a quality offering.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2019, 10:43 pm

And, in the clean-up slot:

UBC Belgian Dubbel (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Brewed for their yearly Ultimate Brewing Championship hosted by the Cape Fear Craft Beer Alliance, the twist here was the addition of figs and cinnamon.

Color was medium-to-dark brown and surprisingly clear with a light tan head. Dark, dried fruits made the rounds first with fig obviously taking the lead role. Cinnamon made its presence known on the palate in a non-overpowering manner, along with the expected dried fruits and some dark brown sugar and rum (neither added). I'll guess IBUs about 30 as it's basically a Belgian-style brown ale. ABV was 8%, pretty standard, too. This was my favorite of the tasting based on my long-standing liking of the style, but I'd order any of the above again.

There's no food/kitchen at the STBC but they do have a food truck schedule and encourage patrons to order delivery or take-out from a number of various cuisines within several hundred yards of their establishment.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 8th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Q3-Taxman Brewing Company

Dry-hopped Sour Saison Ale

I managed to pour the entire contents of the 500 ml bottle into an over-sized red wine glass about 30 minutes ago and I'm still sipping. I don't want this ale to end.

Appearance: a slightly hazy, reddish-orange-amber with a small, off-white head
Nose: apple-cherry cider vinegar
Mouthfeel: tingly
Tastes: tart and sour cherries and berries with some funk/wet blanket/barnyard
IBU: 30
ABV: 7%
Malt: Pilsner (IN), Wheat (IN), Rye (IN), Caramel, Carafa Special III
Hops: Pacific Gem, CTZ (https://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/CTZ...1-2016crop.htm), S. Cross
Yeast: Experimental Sour, Belgian Saison and Brettanomyces
Aged on: blended wine barrels
Batch size: 1500 bottles
Batch number: A0351

Overall impression: This was superb. If we had an Indiana trip planned in the next month or two, I'd buy a case or two of this (and share, of course ), especially if was $7.20 or $8 with their 20% discount if you buy >4 products.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2019, 10:32 pm

McRae cray-Fullsteam Brewery

From the bottom of the container:
03/19/19
Canned

More local!

Scottish-style wee heavy ale brewed with coffee and cocoa nibs

Pint can purchased last month for about $4 after a two ounce taste from a Fullsteam rep at Total Wine.

An aggressive pour brought forth a clear/clean, medium to dark brown pour with a frothy, tan head. There was less java on the nose and palate than what I remember from my small sample. Aromas were pretty balanced between milk chocolate and a medium roast cup of Joe. Tastes were pretty evenly distributed and matched the aromas, too, with some accompanying dark caramel, toasted whole grain bread but with very little of the smokiness/peatiness that are usual hallmarks of a standard Scotch ale. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV was an easily sippable 8.3%. Pairings? Gimme some beef stew or brisket! A very nice beverage, worthy to share/trade with friends or family.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Lakritsi Portteri-Laitilan Wirvoitusjuomatehdas

Never reviewed a beer from Finland before and likely never will again.

This was a gift from a patient a couple weeks ago who risked life, arrest and reputation bringing it back through US Customs after he and his wife visited Finland.

Poured aggressive from a 12 ounce bottle, after pulling the bottle cap tab to open without using a standard bottle opener, into a standard pint glass. Color was dark brown and clear with a foamy, tan head. Smelled like a milk chocolate latte with licorice. Same tastes appeared, along with some burnt dark caramel and mild earthy/herbal bitterness. I'm astonished I found this on the usual beer sites with Untapped quoting 30 for the IBUs and 5.4% ABV which matches the only thing I'm truly able to understand from the label . Overall, a pretty tasty porter, even with the hints of licorice.

I'm highly grateful this patient continues to surprise me with beers from his travels, even if this one did smell and taste like licorice .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Starting out to be an excellent weekend...

Q4-Taxman Brewing Company

Brettanomyces Saison Ale cellared with grape must

I could almost stop there...

Poured half a serving from a 750 ml capped bottle into a small Gouden Carolus chalice with dinner. Color was a clean, dark amber with hints of ruby. Head was small and off-white. Nose was tart, sour, cherry-apple cider vinegar. Tastes were nearly identical with some barnyard funk, red zinfandel, lemon and berry, too. IBUs were 31 and ABV was 8%, so an imperial saison. Paired exquisitely with a plate of freshly baked ziti casserole and bolognese sauce and smothered with parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and accompanied by a fresh garden salad. I'll finish the rest with leftovers tomorrow night. Ingredienets:

Malt: Pilsner, Wheat (IN), Spec B Rye (IN), Carafa, Crystal, Chocolate and Candi Sugar
Hops: Challenger, Mosaic and Loral
Yeast: Farmhouse Saisonz (and Brett, too, as above)
Aged On: Wine barrels, grape must
Batch size: 2500 bottles
Batch Number: A0301
Cost: $8 (IIRC) after my 20% quantity discount

For this ale at this price, this was a absolute steal and I should have bought a case of this to trade/share. It'd be worth a trip to the brewery for the Indiana crowd here if they had any remaining in their storage cellar.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2019, 6:53 am

From last PM:

Porter-Green Man Brewing

Best by 02/12/19

Beer "stolen" from older daughter as partial remuneration and thirst-quenching for counseling at summer canine boot camp for not one, but two weeks.

Allowed to warm for about 15 minutes out of the fridge before pouring a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. Dark brown in color with a generous, mocha head. Pretty good representation of the traditional English porter which they mention proudly on the label. Aromas of milk chocolate, dark caramel and herbal/earthy hops, followed by a smooth, creamy mouthfeel with tastes to match the scents with hints of coffee to finish. No adjuncts or aging. IBUs are 40 and ABV listed at 6%, both fairly typical for the style. Nothing fancy here, just a very good, traditional porter.